Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [Willi3ja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's fast and looks awesome. It also feels like it's built like a tank.
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's talk H3+ tire options for a minute.

Many of us think that H3/GPSS20 has been the fastest front wheel option out there for a while. So what reason would there be for going H3+? Answer must be to be able to use wider tires without sacrificing aero.

OK, so what does that mean? GPSS23? Turbo Cotton 24? Are those really that much better rolling than GPSS20? I think you could get away with something measuring 25 or maybe even 26 on the H3+, but would have to test to be sure. Does anyone make a no compromises 25? Turbo Cotton 26 maybe?

Those of you lusting after this wheel: what tire were you thinking? Remember I want the holy grail tire, not something you're going to use in training on glass infested roads. I don't care about that.
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently running a 23mm GP TT. Check out Josh@Silca's latest post regarding the "rule of 105%". I'm not going to measure it now but, iirc, my H3+ is 27mm at it's widest. That means I'd want to run a 25mm tire max (I'm not aware of any fast 26mm clincher tires in the market). Most modern tires balloon a bit on modern rims so a 24mm Turbo Cotton or a 24mm Continental Force seem like good choices (Force tested well in TomA's recent roller testing though there's some suspicion that was a "magic tire"... but the Force is still known to be fast).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IF they run truer than my old 650 H3's from about 10 years ago (the rear had a bad-ish wobble that HED said was within tolerance) (theirs maybe, but not mine!), then I might be in the running for a set. (and I don't even race anymore! LOL)

Aero is fine, but nothing beats the Uber cool look of a set of H3's!

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Last edited by: tridork: Jul 14, 16 21:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The H3+ is 25.5mm wide, so if you use the 105% rule you get about 24.3mm. I guess the question becomes: is H3+/GPSS23mm better than H3/GPSS20mm? Tom A's spreadsheet gives the GPSS23mm a few watts advantage, but the extra width might come with a bit of an aero penalty (not sure).
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used a Turbo Cotton 24 on mine for a couple of races. That tire measures ~26mm on that rim. I plan on going down to a 23mm tire on that rim for next season.
Quote Reply
Re: IT'S HAPPENING!!!! Hed H3 Plus [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a current model H3+ last night and stuck in a tubeless valve, popped on a Schwalbe Pro One tire, added some Orange Seal and tire seated perfectly the first try, not even a drop of sealant came out from the rim/tire interface. Checked this morning and tire seems to have lost almost no pressure.

BTW the 23mm Pro One on the super wide 25.5mm Hed H3+ rim measures a full 26.8mm across.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply

Prev Next