Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first time for IMMT. I enjoyed the race, love the area and venue.
Couple thoughts, the self seeding swim start seemed to go well but I still had some contact and people passing despite starting in the 130-135 group, swam it in 1:36.
The bike course was nice, I rode it on my recently converted 1X drivetrain the uphills on the second loop of the last 10 miles were tough but never had to get off the bike, just stood up. bike was 6:17
Got passed 3 times on the right which really annoyed me as there was no reason for it, when it happened I was not in a traffic or near other riders, just stupid people I guess who cannot follow rules.
The run was was good, only complaints on the trail portion were the lights that were blocking half the trail and people who for some reason had to either run the blue line or be over the blue line into oncoming runners for no particular reason that I could see. run was 4:46
Love the fans and water spraying on the run!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might have been one of those people running the blue line. At times there was a decent amount of camber to the path and that really aggravates my IT band. Rather than constantly move back and forth I tried to walk close to the blue line and stay out of the way. I had quite a few people going the other way who were doing the same thing but weren't moving for anyone. It's almost like we were playing chicken. I was walking, so like I said, the goal was to be predictable and stay in a straight line to make it easier for people to pass.

There was a guy with a hose at the end of his driveway who cracked me up. I thought he would gently mist/spray me. Nope! He got up close and pretty much shot it directly into my face!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First time in MT. Had heard mixed reviews about the rolling start at Placid but it went great for me here. Started near the front, didn't find it congested at all, very little contact. Fastest Ironman swim I've had and probably the least contact as well.

People had mentioned they were annoyed about the idea of no passing zones for the bike, but they were a complete non-factor for me. Very short, and I'm sure being a faster cylcist does help but I never had to slow down or alter what I was doing at all during those stretches.

On the run I did find the long stretch on that path to be pretty darn lonely. Nowhere for spectators to be, pretty monotonous. And as someone mentioned sometimes those big light towers made things difficult when there were lots of athletes passing on both sides. But the fact that it kept things shady most of the time down there made up for it.

Overall really enjoyed the race, thought it was a great venue with excellent support. I'd definitely go back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this was a well executed race from start to finish. The swim start worked well and my thought is that if you seed yourself where you're supposed to, you won't get nearly as much contact. I'd prefer that the bike ride NOT be on a major highway, but the roads were perfect for riding; very smooth and the course was challenging. It was nice to see a lot of refs on the bike course, and holding people accountable for drafting. There was a lot of passing on the right, more than any other race I've ever done. Strike that, more than any other ride I've ever done. At times, I wondering if passing on the right was considered acceptable in French Canada, because it seemed like everyone was doing it and the refs didn't mind. I thought the run was beautiful, and I appreciated the flat 'trail' that so many people are complaining about. I squelched my boredom by trying to run. LOL. But the best part of this race was the finish line. Unlike every other IM I've done, they let you stand there and enjoy the finish line. I kept expecting someone to usher me away and they didn't. They just let me stand there and soak it all in. Wow, that was amazing. The second best part? Beer and poutine in the finishers tent. Well done, Mont-Tremblant, well done. You guys know how to put on a race. I only wish that you wouldn't tack on a 20% tax to every purchase I made. That was bit hard to swallow.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [Emzee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather question. With the exception of race day it has rained every day since we've been here. Is that typical weather for this time of year or are we just stuck in a wet pattern?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Weather question. With the exception of race day it has rained every day since we've been here. Is that typical weather for this time of year or are we just stuck in a wet pattern?

Mont Tremblant is in the mountains (similar to Lake Placid) so anything can happen with the weather. Expect the unexpected. Last year, it was sunny and clear the days before the race, pounding rain for 6 hours during the bike portion and then sunny the day after.

From what I can remember, this was probably the best weather

2016 - pounding rain during the entire bike but very humid and windy
2015 - overcast to start but scorching sun and high humidity after the 1st bike loop
2014 - cool and overcast. Lots of hypothermia DNFs
2013 - scorching hot
2012 - cool and overcast

Expect the unexpected

Perhaps Dev Paul can chime in as he is very familiar with the area
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

Hey Thom, the answer is NO it is not typical in July and August to have rain every day in the Laurentians. This entire area from the Ottawa Valley through Montreal up to Quebec City has been trapped in a weird jetstream pattern (which applies to most of Quebec and Ontario) with cool air dipping down from up north with both coasts enjoying really warm weather. We have had the wettest summer I can remember. I grass on the lawn is green like it would be in May with zero watering (I never water it anyway....too many kids starving in Africa from nowaccess to water and food for me to use perfectly good water for the vanity of a green lawn....but I digress). Yes this weather is abnormal.

To Peter's post, end of August and early Sep in this area, weather can swing both ways and be really hot (like Florida or Kona hot), or it can be Norseman cool and everything in the spectrum in between. From late June to early August it is going to be warm, hot, or hotter with a lot of humidity. End of August is a good time for an IM to count on the chance of cooler temps like you had this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [fliss08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fliss08 wrote:
Anyone know how the guy who was down on the run and receiving treatment do ?

Someone told me that he died.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [jobrunelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jobrunelle wrote:
fliss08 wrote:

IMMT Facebook page has confirmed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
jobrunelle wrote:
fliss08 wrote:

IMMT Facebook page has confirmed it.

I think it was a woman who passed away. the guy had posted on FB he was in the hospital recoverying
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like there was quite a few people who ended up in the hospital. A friend of the gentleman confirmed it on a Facebook post. A husband and father.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [tri_pilot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Noticed a fair bit of passing on the right as well, or should I reword that to say blocking on the left. People riding the line to block a pass and leaving their right hand side wide open or riding 3 wide for long distances. All in all found it an amazing race with a great vibe and the bike course was a blast.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [tri_pilot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_pilot wrote:
Sounds like there was quite a few people who ended up in the hospital. A friend of the gentleman confirmed it on a Facebook post. A husband and father.

Wow, I assume this was the person I saw laying in the back of an ATV with towel over head, O2 mask on and medic sitting over, they zoomed by while I was on my first lap. There was also a gentleman kind of staggering on the side of the run that a few of us yelled for volunteers to get a medic for. He seemed dizzy but otherwise OK, we had him stay laying down.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [ptakeda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ptakeda wrote:
Did anyone catch that guy who had "mud" splattered all over his bike shorts and legs? I rode up behind him just past the gas station entering the Hwy 117 on the first loop. I remembered thinking why does that guy have mud all over his shorts and legs? Did it rain while I was swimming?

And then I caught a whiff. I immediately sat up and decided it was a good time to start soft peddling. Even at 20 meters I could still smell him. Eventually he rode away from me and never saw him again.

Not sure if it was the same person, but I was seeded in the 1:15 - 1:20 swim, finished in 1:14, and running to T1 there was someone running in front of me completely covered in.....mud...... Felt bad for him, that's gotta be an horrible start to a long day.

I found the swim very smooth, almost no contact. Was my fourth IMMT, much prefer the rolling start.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [Trailzen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trailzen wrote:
Noticed a fair bit of passing on the right as well, or should I reword that to say blocking on the left.

I was passed on the right a few times on 117. I was riding in the traffic lane as instructed but there were quite a few passing on the shoulder.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [Trailzen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trailzen wrote:
Noticed a fair bit of passing on the right as well, or should I reword that to say blocking on the left. People riding the line to block a pass and leaving their right hand side wide open or riding 3 wide for long distances. All in all found it an amazing race with a great vibe and the bike course was a blast.

Not sure what you saying here, if you are implying that the people who passed on the right are somehow correct you are wrong.
Anyone who went the race meeting and paid attention would have heard they wanted you to ride in the road not the breakdown lanes which were to be used for emergency vehicles.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talking about those intentionally hugging the center line ,not those riding to the right of the road. I did see a few blocking penalties issued though so cant complain about the race officials. Nothing more frustrating then calling out on your left to watch someone look back at you then continue to ride on the left.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [fliss08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fliss08 wrote:

I saw him down on the run too. Facebook IMMT just announced someone died during the run... sadly I think it was him.

According to comments, it was a man and not a woman.
Last edited by: 125mph: Aug 23, 17 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Tremblant 70.3 + 140.6 Q&A Thread [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
fliss08 wrote:

I saw him down on the run too. Facebook IMMT just announced someone died during the run... sadly I think it was him.

According to comments, it was a man and not a woman.

Here is the article in French in Montreal Newspaper LaPress:

http://www.lapresse.ca/...n-mont-tremblant.php

Thoughts to the to the family. The number one worry I have had when I was racing was to return to the finish line functional to my family. This is so sad (crazy thing is the picture in the article shows athletes leaving the water, and someone said it had ME in the middle.....clearly that picture was for a long time ago. It was Tremblant 2012).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Thoughts to the to the family. The number one worry I have had when I was racing was to return to the finish line functional to my family. .

That's exactly why I refuse to go in aero position on a big descents. I like to have my brakes handy. I keep myself maximum at 40mph going downhill in a race.. Its simply not worth it for the small time gain on a descent to risk a crash. People may feel in control but you can't control what another racer may cut you off or lose control in front of you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next