Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
not ready for publication yet, but the intent is fairly quickly publish a shootout between the new gopro hero4, and the sony action cam mini hdr-az1, and the contour roam 3.

Hi Dan,

Did this ever get published? Any update on a ST group buy?

Thank you, John
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [goaheadjump] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goaheadjump wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Can a Fly 6 be mounted on aero seat posts, such as on a P5?

Is it reasonably ez to mount on multiple bikes?

Anybody have experience w doing so?

the fly 6 comes with an aeropost attachment in the box, which I have not used. I do move the fly 6 from bike to bike though and that takes me about 6 seconds
\

Should I order a 32 GB or 64 GB micro SD card for the FLY6? Or is the 8GB card enough?
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends. Do you want to keep videos on the card in-between charges, or do you just need a card to last as long as the battery?
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
It depends. Do you want to keep videos on the card in-between charges, or do you just need a card to last as long as the battery?
I don't plan to keep the videos - emergency use only.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 8GB card has about 7.3 GB of usable space.

It produces a movie file that's about 480MB every 10 minutes, 2.8 GB per hour.

There's about 2.5 hours of usable space on the 8GB card.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 32GB card, because I download/look at videos once every few weeks (it stores several hours worth). If you don't care to review hours of videos for funny stuff, then the 8Gb is enough as it auto saves in case of a crash, and then you only need the last few minutes anyways (and it automatically records over the old stuff when it is full.)

johnnybefit wrote:
goaheadjump wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Can a Fly 6 be mounted on aero seat posts, such as on a P5?

Is it reasonably ez to mount on multiple bikes?

Anybody have experience w doing so?

the fly 6 comes with an aeropost attachment in the box, which I have not used. I do move the fly 6 from bike to bike though and that takes me about 6 seconds
\

Should I order a 32 GB or 64 GB micro SD card for the FLY6? Or is the 8GB card enough?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
The 8GB card has about 7.3 GB of usable space.

It produces a movie file that's about 480MB every 10 minutes, 2.8 GB per hour.

There's about 2.5 hours of usable space on the 8GB card.

Ok, this is great info. Based on this I think I should get a larger card. Yes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's just for emergency purposes, I wouldn't worry about it.

The Fy6 has an incident detector. If it's tilted more than 60 degrees for 5 seconds it will shut off in 1 hour. That leaves you with 1 hour of before accident footage and 1 hour of post accident footage.

If something happens where you don't lay it down, you can stop the camera after the incident happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:

The Fy6 has an incident detector. If it's tilted more than 60 degrees for 5 seconds it will shut off in 1 hour. That leaves you with 1 hour of before accident footage and 1 hour of post accident footage.

If something happens where you don't lay it down, you can stop the camera after the incident happens.

Fantastic. Ordering now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now I just need to figure out the front camera....
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I strongly urge cyclists to resist the temptation to mount a camera on their helmet unless it has a break-away mount. If a fall or crash occurs, the camera/mount can catch on the road (or whatever the helmet hits) and induce a much larger torque on the head and neck, which may result in a neck injury that otherwise would not have occurred.

I mount my GoPro on my handlebars.

References:

Hodgson, V.R. Impact, Skid and Retention Tests on a Representative Group of Bicycle Helmets to Determine their head-neck protective characteristics. Detroit, MI : Wayne State University, 1990.

St Clair VJM, Chinn BP, 2007. Assessment of current bicycle helmets for the potential to cause rotational injury. Transport Research Laboratory PPR213.

"It's Ironman - it's supposed to be hard!"

Author of "Letters to a Driving Nation: Exploring the Conflict between Drivers and Cyclists." http://www.brucebutler.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [Cycling nation] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling nation wrote:
I strongly urge cyclists to resist the temptation to mount a camera on their helmet unless it has a break-away mount. If a fall or crash occurs, the camera/mount can catch on the road (or whatever the helmet hits) and induce a much larger torque on the head and neck, which may result in a neck injury that otherwise would not have occurred.

I mount my GoPro on my handlebars.

References:

Hodgson, V.R. Impact, Skid and Retention Tests on a Representative Group of Bicycle Helmets to Determine their head-neck protective characteristics. Detroit, MI : Wayne State University, 1990.

St Clair VJM, Chinn BP, 2007. Assessment of current bicycle helmets for the potential to cause rotational injury. Transport Research Laboratory PPR213.

Wow. Very interesting information. Thank you for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:

One ride in on the FLY6 and I am a believer. Amazing quality videos in 10 minute segments. I don't know exactly what to do with the files in terms of sharing but I will have this on my bike for every ride from now on. The peace of mind of knowing I have this recording in case something happens is awesome. I think I am sticking with the 8GB SD card for now as the Cycliq site recommends adding a different one unless you "overwrite" it or something. If I could figure out how to post one of the segments here I would but you can watch them on their website. Very happy with this purchase and the results from the first ride.

Safety First!
John

Last edited by: johnnybefit: May 22, 16 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:

I've got a Fly12 for the front and won't ride without it. I got mine early as a Kickstarter participant. Well worth it
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

I've got a Fly12 for the front and won't ride without it. I got mine early as a Kickstarter participant. Well worth it

It looks like I can now order one from their website. Doing so now.

Is the mounting easy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is the mounting easy?

Yep. It uses a standard GoPro type mount. There's also a Garmin type mount. I don't use that one as much as my Garmin out-front mount is plastic and the unit is pretty beefy. I've heard of instances of the plastic mounts breaking. I'll be ordering a K-Edge mount soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
Is the mounting easy?

Yep. It uses a standard GoPro type mount. There's also a Garmin type mount. I don't use that one as much as my Garmin out-front mount is plastic and the unit is pretty beefy. I've heard of instances of the plastic mounts breaking. I'll be ordering a K-Edge mount soon.

Would you mind posting the type of K-Edge mount you get please?
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [gasman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gasman wrote:
I own 4 camera's. 2 garmin virb's, a go pro. and a contour. I bike commute to work everyday. I mount one on the front bar, and one on the seat rails for the bike. They are my "bllack box". I mount the other cameras on my other bikes that I ride. In terms of which would I buy? I don't really think it matters just get the cheapest one. In the end, the image quality, the battery life, are all about on par. Believe me, no one wants to watch your race videos or snowboard videos except you. And after the first time, you don't really want to watch them either. It's basicallly there so that if there is any dispute about what happened in an accident, I have some objective evidence.

sounds like you get to bring your bike into the office...
it sounds like a good setup, it's just that the last bike commuting i did just had an outdoor lockup, no way i could leave the cameras attached. that's a big plus of a helmet cam for me, btw.

[edit: just saw that there was a big time gap btwn the post i'm quoting and today... my bad]
Last edited by: Bob Loblaw: May 22, 16 17:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

Just ordered my Fly12. There was not an option to expedite shipping so I get it by this weekend. Reached out to them last night - hopefully they will respond!

Looking forward to have the camera front and rear!
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a good solution for a rear mount? I have a Garmin Virb but I cant for the life of me figure out how to attach it
I have a P5 with a Adamo saddle
Rear Xlab Gorilla mounted to this https://www.tacx.com/...tlecages/saddleclamp
With this http://www.xlab-usa.com/aero-pouch-300.html around it.

Ideally i would need something that connects around the seat post or on the bottom of the clamp.
Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
No offense but cycling is logistically complex enough as it is, w/o the need for yet another piece of technology to get set just right before you actually start to ride. This would be after putting your bike together, pumping up your tires, checking your lube status of your chain, getting to a place safe to ride (i.e., i never ride from home b/c the roads are just too narrow, and even w/ a camera i wouldn't ride from home), putting on your helmet, filling water bottles, getting your power meter ready to go, and prob 5 other things i'm forgetting.

For me it's not just the setup that is messy and time consuming but the tear down and charging of the electronics. I now have a rechargeable tail light, Garmin, and for night rides, a head lamp and a handlebar light. Then should you need an extra battery or two for those lights, you have to remember to swap those into the cradle to charge them too. Two extra cameras just adds to the complexity of all this device management. When I travel it's absurd to have multiple micro USB charging centers going on in my hotel room just for my cycling equipment. In a few years, we'll be able to plop all this stuff down on a charging plate and easily snap it all on with quarter turn mounts or similar. But right now it's already too much for me...
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the attraction of the Cycliq products, by combining a camera with what looks to be a decent light, they're cutting down on the number of devices to charge. Also depends on what you're using it for. For me, the purpose of the camera would be primarily as evidence in the event of an accident, and I'd want it primarily for my commuter rides where I'm on pretty congested roads and see a lot of idiotic behaviour from drivers, cyclists and pedestrians (though I've now developed a 6th sense to predict it!). Since my commute is only an hour each way, I wouldn't need to carry spare batteries. Only thing stopping me from buying the Cycliq Fly6 and Fly12 is the expense, given that I already have a pretty expensive set of Exposure lights for commuting I can't really justify the expense. I also have a waist-high double power point on the wall in my garage next to my bike racks, so can charge most of my gadgets without having to take them off the bike!

Not convinced by the charger pad technology, I use one for my phone and it's pretty slow to charge compared to a cable, plus it still seems to add a bit of weight and bulkiness to the device which wouldn't be desirable in bike gadgets. Maybe if it gets to the stage where charger pads are everywhere - built into hotel bedside tables, into car storage buckets, into Starbuck tables, etc, - and wireless charging is lighter and less bulky than having a charging port, then they'll be useful. Quite a long way to go though.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
That's the attraction of the Cycliq products, by combining a camera with what looks to be a decent light, they're cutting down on the number of devices to charge. Also depends on what you're using it for. For me, the purpose of the camera would be primarily as evidence in the event of an accident, and I'd want it primarily for my commuter rides where I'm on pretty congested roads and see a lot of idiotic behaviour from drivers, cyclists and pedestrians (though I've now developed a 6th sense to predict it!). Since my commute is only an hour each way, I wouldn't need to carry spare batteries. Only thing stopping me from buying the Cycliq Fly6 and Fly12 is the expense, given that I already have a pretty expensive set of Exposure lights for commuting I can't really justify the expense.

You have answered your own excuse here. Buy the Fly12! I ordered mine on Monday and it is arriving tomorrow - from Australia!! No shipping cost!
After a week with my Fly6 and becoming a believer, I am excited about the Fly12 and believe that video evidence front and rear is critical for the reasons you list above. I will post my review once I get the Fly12 up and running!
John
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
No offense but cycling is logistically complex enough as it is, w/o the need for yet another piece of technology to get set just right before you actually start to ride. This would be after putting your bike together, pumping up your tires, checking your lube status of your chain, getting to a place safe to ride (i.e., i never ride from home b/c the roads are just too narrow, and even w/ a camera i wouldn't ride from home), putting on your helmet, filling water bottles, getting your power meter ready to go, and prob 5 other things i'm forgetting.

For me it's not just the setup that is messy and time consuming but the tear down and charging of the electronics. I now have a rechargeable tail light, Garmin, and for night rides, a head lamp and a handlebar light. Then should you need an extra battery or two for those lights, you have to remember to swap those into the cradle to charge them too. Two extra cameras just adds to the complexity of all this device management. When I travel it's absurd to have multiple micro USB charging centers going on in my hotel room just for my cycling equipment. In a few years, we'll be able to plop all this stuff down on a charging plate and easily snap it all on with quarter turn mounts or similar. But right now it's already too much for me...

Wow, I've never bought any of the lights, so did not realize all the charging requirements. For me, the solution is to only ride places with limited traffic. I don't think I could stand having to deal with all those batteries, since all the other cycling issues put me right at my hassle tolerance limit:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Camera for Riding [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a GoPro Hero, a Cycliq Fly12 and a Fly6 (rear camera).

The GoPro is a better action camera if I want to use it in a RR or a crit or snorkeling in Hawaii or in the pool at home, etc. BUT it has limited battery life. Around 2 hours. I do lots of rides and races that are longer than 2 hours.

On the other hand my Fly12 will do something like 10 hours of 1080p video. It's too heavy for using in a RR, but if I want a "in case something happens" front camera I can't see how you can beat the Fly12. No to mention it's got a 400 lumen headlight for when you need it.

Simlarly, the Fly6 is good for around 6 hours of riding and has the built in flashing tail light that you can turn on and off.

In both Cycliq units you never need to worry about filling up your SD card as it will start overwriting the old files when it fills up. They also have an incident mode where if you fall over it will record for 30 minutes and then turn off. This way, if you have a small SD card and say got hit by a car early in your ride it won't just keep recording nothing until it overwrites the accident.

If you want a good combination of "don't hit me lights" that record video "just in case" I think it would be really hard to beat the Cycliq units.

For camera quality, the Fly12 does up to 1080p 45 FPS and the Fly6 is 720p. The Fly12 does good video, but isn't on the same level of camera quality as the GoPro. It also isn't as versatile in that it doesn't do stills or burst mode or higher frame rates like the GoPro

For me, I use the Fly12 as kind of a daily driver that all I need to do is charge and if something interesting (or bad) happens on a ride I'll have captured it.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next