Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trek Speed Concept-Bottom Bracket question
Quote | Reply
2012 Trek Speed Concept. Anyone know if a BB30 bottom bracket is compatable??? I'm looking at a quarq power meter and not sure if my bike will support BB30?

Thx
Last edited by: Drummon: Mar 11, 14 8:37
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept-Bottom Bracket question [Drummon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely not. You need t be looking for a gxp quarq. Also, if you have a shimano crank now, you will have to get a bb90 gxp set of bearings (assuming 9 series). If you have a sram crank, it will literally be a directly swap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, Trek is one of the only bikes you cant make the BB30 quarq work with using Rotor bottom brackets unfortunately. Will have to stick with GXP.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept-Bottom Bracket question [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sram components. 9 series speed concept. Sounds like GXP only?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you are going with a Quarq, GXP only for that bike as Quarq only comes in GXP or BB30.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept-Bottom Bracket question [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I have sram crank now. Will the gxp be a straight fit or do I have to get special bearing rings as well?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you will need a 22mm ID non-drive side bearing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're running SRAM on a Speed Concept then you've already got a GXP BB and any other GXP crank should be a direct drop-in.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept-Bottom Bracket question [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean rival right now. What if I went with a stages crank arm power meter? What type stages do I need?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drummon wrote:
Sean rival right now. What if I went with a stages crank arm power meter? What type stages do I need?

You need GXP still. No BB30 cranksets. It has really nothing to do with the particular power meter, it is the spindle diameter of the crankset that matters.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept-Bottom Bracket question [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of wish Trek would abandon BB90. It's not that I've heard many bad stories about it, I'm just afraid of the proprietary BB not existing in the near future compounded by the fact they already abandoned it on the MTB side. That, and you can use a 30mm spindle crank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drummon wrote:

Stages previously offered a SRAM Rival NDS crankarm, but they've stopped making them and closed out all but the 180mm length. You may be able to find one for sale from a Stages retailer or on eBay. Currently Stages offers a SRAM GXP compatible carbon crankarm, but the price is high enough to that you'd be better off getting a Quarq crankset that provides more accurate measurement of power output from both legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drummon wrote:

None.

Speaking as a Stages owner on my Trek, it's relatively fine for indoors but outdoors or at races forget it.
The signal is just too weak to send accurate numbers to head unit out front in outdoor conditions for some reason.

Tried it for a season, it's now being replaced by a new Quarq on order.
GXP and yes will mean no more Shimano crank.
But I've changed my chainrings to Rotor anyway so happier to have reliable outdoors power than the single leg stages unreliable version.

Quarq are basically a couple hundred more now so defo worth the slight bit extra in my experience and for both side measurements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SummitAK covered it pretty well.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept-Bottom Bracket question [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timely post.

Would I have issues moving a Quarq Riken (fitted on Sram 53-39 chainset on 10 speed Dura Ace 7800 Group) to a Trek SC 9 with Dura Ace 9070 Di2 11 speed group (has Dura Ace 9070 53-39 chainset)?

I'm trying to avoid getting a new PM for the Trek and just putting my old Dura Ace 7800 chainset back on my road bike (currently with the Quarq Riken).

Thank you!

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept-Bottom Bracket question [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends...which Riken do you have? if read your post right (that you currently run a Shimano crank on your SC) and if you have the Shimano-compatible Riken then it's a drop-in change as far as the BB goes.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept-Bottom Bracket question [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl!

Yes, I believe my Riken is Shimano compatible.

Current setup:
Cervelo Soloist SLC-SL - Dura Ace 7800 10 speed group with Quarq Riken chainset (english threaded bottom bracket, but I believe this can be switched out).

New setup:
Trek SC 9 - Dura Ace di2 9070 11 speed group - I want to drop in the Quarq Riken Chainset on this bike.

Thanks!

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Trek Speed Concept-Bottom Bracket question [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I'm more worried about the stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ETA: I posted the wrong info, sorry...see later posts by me and SummitAK

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Sep 30, 16 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there may be some confusion on what you have for a Quarq and Carl's advice. AFAIK the Riken has only been offered on GXP and BB30 cranksets (chainsets) and never has been offered on a Shimano crankset. Your Riken is likely the SRAM GXP variant. The 24mm GXP spindle matches the Shimano 24mm spindle, except at the NDS end it is stepped down to 22mm for clamping. The GXP BB has a special 22mm bearing with an extended inner race that is clamped between the NDS crankarm and the spindle step. The lash (side to side crank spindle clearance) is then set using various combos of shims, bearing shields and/or wave washers depending on the installation.

For your SC installation I believe your easiest option is to get the Trek BB90 SRAM GXP bearing kit. This will come with two new bearings (1x 24mm ID, 1x 22mm ID), a NDS metal bearing shield, a 24mm wave washer, bearing outer seal and plastic inner bb sleeve. The bearings pop out and in pretty easy if well greased. If stuck then you can carefully tap out from the backside. Be careful to put the plastic bb inner sleeve in the right direction as I think the flanges are slightly different diameter.

A good, clingy sealing grease is your friend with this install to help seal up the sleeve, cranks spindle, bearing seal/shield and around the outer bearing races. Some folks that don't stay on top of maintaining their BB90 installs have ended up with the outer bearing races shifting and sanding the machined carbon frame faces which eventually requires sending back to Trek for carbon repair or frame replacement.

I've spelled out details here that might make this sound harder than it is. It really is pretty easy. Just not drop in if going from Shimano to GXP because the NDS bearing, bearing shield and wave washer are different for the GXP install.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by: SummitAK: Sep 30, 16 16:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know what...SummitAK bested me on this one...he's absolutely right. When I looked at the Riken website I could've sworn I saw Shimano listed under the BB types, but on a second look it's obvious I didn't. The other thing throwing me off was an assumption (on my part) that the BB on your Soloist was also Shimano. ASSUMING (again) that you have a GXP Riken, you'd need a GXP BB90 kit (PN 524556 for steel, 411814 for ceramic, both from your Trek dealer, and there are a couple of CeramicSpeed options if you really want to spend $$).

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Sep 30, 16 12:56
Quote Reply