Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Help me pick a disc! [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubeless seems to be growing on popularity particularly with Vittorias Corsa speed tyre. This would be a plus for the Hed jet+ which can be used tubeless. Not sure what other clincher discs can be run tubeless?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a disc! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

The Accel, LW, Mavic, older Zipps were field-tested the old fashioned way -- trials on a pancake flat course at 2mph intervals from 12mph to 30mph and then a regression on the results. The rest I've been using the Chung method.

So how do I know about wind performance from field testing? Many, many back-to-back trials on the same course (Canada Road for those in the Bay Area), in different order. Originally, I was just guessing based on the overall power and speed numbers which were surprisingly consistent. But now I'm going back through the old files (12 years old in some cases) with the Chung method and I'm getting more solid confirmation (Canada road has a very distinct elevation profile).

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a disc! [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was referring to gram to price as far as the weight goes.
I got rid of a Jet9...a Lightweight..and a Sub9 after seeing the tunnel data on my "home bodged disc" (A 50mm carbon tubular covered with monokote)
I also wrote a book on this subject and have verified data that I am not at liberty to share.
Another +31mph run and PR in a race two weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a disc! [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bernoullitrial wrote:
I got rid of a Jet9...a Lightweight..and a Sub9 after seeing the tunnel data on my "home bodged disc" (A 50mm carbon tubular covered with monokote)
I also wrote a book on this subject and have verified data that I am not at liberty to share.

I believe it. From everything I've seen, mo lenticular is mo betta. So a "home bodged disc," whether with monokote or wheelbuilder covers, is likely to outperform most of the fancy disks.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a disc! [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
Bernoullitrial wrote:

I believe it. From everything I've seen, mo lenticular is mo betta. So a "home bodged disc," whether with monokote or wheelbuilder covers, is likely to outperform most of the fancy disks.

Probably why we don't see many comparisons between models whether it's disc wheels, wetsuits or bikes. If the P5 was significantly faster than the P2 I'm sure Cervelo would be letting us know, likelihood is the difference between the two, in performance, is negligible, similarly with a $700 Renn Disc vs a $2.5K Zipp... so I'm now looking for a disc that looks pretty and that's it.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a disc! [Bernoullitrial] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't say that, but yes, if weight to dollar (or just dollar in general) were a concern then a disc cover will do the trick.
What frame did you test on? Those wheels mentioned are not on my 'fastest' list. Great ride, but it doesn't have an bearing on this discussion. My fat ass did a 31mph ride on my Autobahn on 281w (3.5w/kg), doesn't mean I was riding optimised kit (in fact I've since found much faster wheel/tyre combos, so there's usually something better out there).

What book did you write? I'd be interested to read it.
Last edited by: Grill: May 25, 17 22:51
Quote Reply
Re: Help me pick a disc! [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a very happy owner of the Renn 555, which is now made with a wider rim (24mm). Has aluminum brake track, so it's just a matter of adjusting the brake pad width when I use it. Customer service from Frank at Renn is outstanding.

I like racing on it better than with a WB cover over Zipp 404. The cover was a good introduction to the impact a "disc" can have, but it was a PITA.

Perhaps because it is a structural disc and stiffer than the 404, I feel much more confident taking corners at higher speed.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply

Prev Next