Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I understand, the inside of each crank arm says SRAM loud and clear (similar to the graphics on Red and Force cranksets).

I wonder if they are still going to be offering the option to purchase the spider without crankarms (for S-Works, Hollowgram, cranks).
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [slimfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slimfast wrote:
From what I understand, the inside of each crank arm says SRAM loud and clear (similar to the graphics on Red and Force cranksets).

I wonder if they are still going to be offering the option to purchase the spider without crankarms (for S-Works, Hollowgram, cranks).

The pictures on their website doesn't show them like that. The new RED version is like that for sure though. They are still selling spiders on their website. Only the high end one though.



Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
AeroCamp March 9-11 A2 Wind Tunnel
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
slimfast wrote:
From what I understand, the inside of each crank arm says SRAM loud and clear (similar to the graphics on Red and Force cranksets).

I wonder if they are still going to be offering the option to purchase the spider without crankarms (for S-Works, Hollowgram, cranks).


The pictures on their website doesn't show them like that. The new RED version is like that for sure though. They are still selling spiders on their website. Only the high end one though.

You're correct, the graphics on the new Quarq ELSA and RIKEN arms are not like the Red version. If you look at the photos on our website (http://www.quarq.com/quarq-elsa-10r), those are the actual crank arms the units are shipped with. They do say "powered by SRAM" on the back of the arm, but it's a lot smaller than the Red version arms. These power meters are shipped with are SRAM rings, but they don't have a hidden chainring bolt like the Red version, so one can more easily swap rings in the field.

Mieke
Quarq Technology
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [mieke@quarq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mieke,
Any response to those of us existing Quarq users they have long been waiting for shorter crank arm lengths? Since both arms look to easily swappable, perhaps aftermarket sales of crank arms below 170mm??
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [mieke@quarq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously, Mieke, I think you guys have a home run here.

I can't think of anything else I would want in a power meter.

And price point is good.

I've been a powertap fan for a long time, but I think I'm switching.


Great work.

Andy
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [mieke@quarq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a technology difference or an advantage of the new ELSA 10R? I am in the process of ordering one now and prefer the look of the SRAM Red but performance trumps aesthetics...most of the time. Is the SRAM Red basically obselete/discontinued and I should get the ELSA or are they essentially equivalent besides the weight? Thanks!


Shut up legs.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [grosso27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grosso27 wrote:
Mieke,
Any response to those of us existing Quarq users they have long been waiting for shorter crank arm lengths? Since both arms look to easily swappable, perhaps aftermarket sales of crank arms below 170mm??

The shorter crank lengths are only available when ordering a complete ELSA or RIKEN unit.

Mieke
Quarq Technology
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [BBAddict] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBAddict wrote:
Is there a technology difference or an advantage of the new ELSA 10R? I am in the process of ordering one now and prefer the look of the SRAM Red but performance trumps aesthetics...most of the time. Is the SRAM Red basically obselete/discontinued and I should get the ELSA or are they essentially equivalent besides the weight? Thanks!

The technology is the same between the SRAM RED and ELSA powermeters. The SRAM Red version is certainly continuing. It's the SRAM S975 Quarq model with the larger electronics pod that has been discontinued.

The main difference is the SRAM Red Quarq is sold with Yaw compatible chainrings which are what you'd want to use with the newest SRAM Red drivetrain that has the Yaw deraileur. It has one of the chainring bolts hidden behind the crank arm. The crank arms are branded "SRAM".

The ELSA powermeter has the same features as the RED Quarq (power balance, 1.5% accuracy, etc), but it comes with the standard Red Black 10 speed chainrings without a hidden bolt. This allows folks in the field to more easily change their chainrings. The crank arms are branded "Quarq".

In other words, I'd say base your decision on which drive train you are planning to use the powermeter with.

Mieke
Quarq Technology
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else out there who purchased a Quarq in the past month or so who is really wishing they would have waited and saved money for another month? Someone has to be caught on the wrong side of these things I guess. But my Christmas present to myself is old news already!

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [joroshiba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be me, yes.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [joroshiba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really.
Im really impressed with my Red Quarq and while some extra cash in the pocket is always welcome, In the grand scheme of things, it isnt the biggest deal.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the Red is the same generation of equipment. Can change chainrings, higher accuracy (big!!). Those who purchased any other Quarq unit didn't get that. Which is part of why we payed less.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [mieke@quarq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mieke@quarq wrote:
The main difference is the SRAM Red Quarq is sold with Yaw compatible chainrings which are what you'd want to use with the newest SRAM Red drivetrain that has the Yaw deraileur. It has one of the chainring bolts hidden behind the crank arm. The crank arms are branded "SRAM".

The ELSA powermeter has the same features as the RED Quarq (power balance, 1.5% accuracy, etc), but it comes with the standard Red Black 10 speed chainrings without a hidden bolt. This allows folks in the field to more easily change their chainrings. The crank arms are branded "Quarq".

In other words, I'd say base your decision on which drive train you are planning to use the powermeter with.

Mieke
Quarq Technology


Forgive me for what may be a stupid question, but what would you recommend for a Shimano Dura-Ace drive train?

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Jan 23, 13 21:18
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [joroshiba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joroshiba wrote:
Anyone else out there who purchased a Quarq in the past month or so who is really wishing they would have waited and saved money for another month? Someone has to be caught on the wrong side of these things I guess. But my Christmas present to myself is old news already!

That's me too. I just installed the S975 less than a week ago. I'm wondering if I should now just sell it 50 miles used and buy the Riken. I had no idea new models were coming out. Is the new technology any better? I'm not apt to change chainrings out (except for replacements), so is there any advantage to the new design?
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Improved accuracy is the biggest thing. The broken is a bit heavier, thebelsa a bit lighter than the s975. Obviously the changing chainrings and I'm wondering if with the new spider/crank set interface which has less issues with chainring stiffness if the zero offset might have less drift.

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [joroshiba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just like computers, something better comes out all the time. However, for me, I have less than 50 trainer miles on my new S975. I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to sell the S975 and buy the new Riken. Or, do I just live with the S975?

I don't know - my purchase of the Quarq was just bad timing.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to be one of the guys I'm going to be following on ebay shortly. With the newer one out I'm betting you won't get nearly as much as your hoping for that one even if it's only been ridden 50 miles. I'm counting on there being a bunch of quarqs on ebay shortly- that or I guess I'll go with a power2max.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [link5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
link5485 wrote:
If you want to be one of the guys I'm going to be following on ebay shortly. With the newer one out I'm betting you won't get nearly as much as your hoping for that one even if it's only been ridden 50 miles. I'm counting on there being a bunch of quarqs on ebay shortly- that or I guess I'll go with a power2max.

Probably true. Perhaps I need to relax and enjoy what I have.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [link5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
link5485 wrote:
If you want to be one of the guys I'm going to be following on ebay shortly. With the newer one out I'm betting you won't get nearly as much as your hoping for that one even if it's only been ridden 50 miles. I'm counting on there being a bunch of quarqs on ebay shortly- that or I guess I'll go with a power2max.

they had'em yesterday on chainlove for 1k...


The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [mieke@quarq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know the actual weight of the Quarq Red vs the Elsa without the chainrings? I see on there website
the Red is 778g and the Elsa is 735g, but how much of this is due to the chainrings. Also the weight difference of the
2013 rings vs the older black rings?

I tried searching but can't find anything conclusive.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess this makes my Quarq with 155mm Rotor cranks somewhat of a thing of the past. Glad I got the shorty cranks while they offered them. I love the short cranks.


Panabax

We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.—Robert Wilensky
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [dl33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spoke to Quarq about this a couple of weeks ago. Although I don't have the numbers in front of me right now, they confirmed that most of the (minor) weight savings that the Elsa enjoys over the SRAM Red version is due to chainrings. As I recall, it's at least half of the 43g difference.


dl33 wrote:
Does anyone know the actual weight of the Quarq Red vs the Elsa without the chainrings? I see on there website
the Red is 778g and the Elsa is 735g, but how much of this is due to the chainrings. Also the weight difference of the
2013 rings vs the older black rings?

I tried searching but can't find anything conclusive.
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [mieke@quarq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had the Saturn, s975 Nd now the riken. They've all been great, and quarq is absolutely painless to deal with.

____________________________________________________

Pursue the Podium
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [GONE4ARIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Seems not much difference with the exogram then. Also, how did the Riken gain so much extra.

GONE4ARIDE wrote:
I spoke to Quarq about this a couple of weeks ago. Although I don't have the numbers in front of me right now, they confirmed that most of the (minor) weight savings that the Elsa enjoys over the SRAM Red version is due to chainrings. As I recall, it's at least half of the 43g difference.


dl33 wrote:
Does anyone know the actual weight of the Quarq Red vs the Elsa without the chainrings? I see on there website
the Red is 778g and the Elsa is 735g, but how much of this is due to the chainrings. Also the weight difference of the
2013 rings vs the older black rings?

I tried searching but can't find anything conclusive.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: New Quarq Powermeter Models.. [dl33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm not mistaken its about the same as the S975 was/is. It doesnt use the hollowed out crank arms of the Elsa and Red and utilizes a slightly larger electronics pod/meter.
Quote Reply

Prev Next