Quantcast
    MAIN INDEX RULES & LEGEND LOG IN  

Slowtwitch Forums: Triathlon Forum:
10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All  

bloomers

Jan 6, 11 15:39

Post #1 of 58 (5697 views)
10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? Quote | Reply

Ok, can't remember how to the do the whole sin/cosin thing or even if it is much more simple than that. Perhaps (5280x3)x.10? Little help here.

10% incline on a treadmill for 3 miles is how many vertical feet?

Yes, I shave my legs. Yes, I am comfortable with this. I am enlightened.

(This post was edited by bloomers on Jan 6, 11 15:39)

DeepDish

Jan 6, 11 15:45

Post #2 of 58 (5688 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [bloomers] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Sin x degrees = vertical distance / total distance

so Vertical Distance = Total Distance * Sin (x degrees)
-Brian
-------------------------
"The fastest hour run I've ever seen was done in 58:27."

jaretj

Jan 6, 11 15:52

Post #3 of 58 (5668 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [DeepDish] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I allways thought that was 10% grade

jaretj

bloomers

Jan 6, 11 16:00

Post #4 of 58 (5658 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [jaretj] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I think so. If that is the case, than it would be .10 of 90 correct, or 9 degrees?

jaretj

Jan 6, 11 16:03

Post #5 of 58 (5647 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [bloomers] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I was thinking of a 1 foot rise every 10 feet or .3 miles for 3 miles which would be 1584 feet.

sciguy

Jan 6, 11 16:05

Post #6 of 58 (5639 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [DeepDish] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

DeepDish wrote:
Sin x degrees = vertical distance / total distance

so Vertical Distance = Total Distance * Sin (x degrees)

That would be for a X degree angle not X% grade.

Hugh
Genetics load the gun, lifesyle pulls the trigger.

bloomers

Jan 6, 11 16:05

Post #7 of 58 (5634 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [jaretj] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

That's how I computed it in my OP, but I wasn't sure if that was indeed the case.

klehner

Jan 6, 11 16:20

Post #8 of 58 (5600 views)

rise/run == % grade = .1
hypotenuse = 3mi.
tan(angle) = rise/run
arctan(rise/run) = angle
sin(angle) = rise/distance traveled
rise = sin(angle) * distance traveled
rise = sin(arctan(rise/run)) * distance traveled
rise = sin(arctan(.1)) * 3mi
rise = sin(5.71) * 3mi
rise = .09949 * 3mi
rise = 1576'

(for moderate grades, the rise is very close to the grade * distance traveled)
----------------------------------
Of course, with your ears stuffed with outrage cotton balls, all you heard was, rahrahra, govt comes to get your guns, rhahrahrah, stamp out your FREEEEEDOM! - slowguy

JollyRogers

Jan 6, 11 16:22

Post #9 of 58 (5595 views)

If I recall correctly percent grade = rise divided by run (horizontal distance). What the treadmill tells you is the hypotenuse of that triangle so...

X = horizontal distance
.1X = vertical distance

(3*5280)^2 = x^2 + .1X^2
(3*5280)^2= 1.01X^2
15761.3=X

Vertical Distance = 1576 feet

BobbyShaftoe

Jan 6, 11 16:26

Post #10 of 58 (5588 views)

bloomers wrote:

Did you graduate high school? College? If college, what major? Really, I'm curious.

RhymeAndReason

Jan 6, 11 16:51

Post #11 of 58 (5562 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [BobbyShaftoe] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

BobbyShaftoe wrote:
bloomers wrote:

Did you graduate high school? College? If college, what major? Really, I'm curious.

I don't know about the OP, but I'll hazard to guess that you didn't take any courses in tact.

jkahan

Jan 6, 11 16:53

Post #12 of 58 (5554 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [JollyRogers] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

bingo --
Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind

BobbyShaftoe

Jan 6, 11 17:05

Post #13 of 58 (5498 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [RhymeAndReason] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

RhymeAndReason wrote:
I don't know about the OP, but I'll hazard to guess that you didn't take any courses in tact.

You're right I didn't but my question stands. How can a person have any education at all and not be able to calculate 10% of 3 miles? I know my daughter could do that in the 4th grade.
Bobby

Nailey13

Jan 6, 11 17:47

Post #14 of 58 (5424 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [BobbyShaftoe] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Dumbass says what? Did you even read the OP's post?

------------------------------------------------------------------

"What do I have to do, when I wake up tomorrow, to become excellent. Do that, and then do it again the next day, and the next, etc. One day you'll wake up and the time and the fitness will have taken care of themselves."

JohnnySlimane

Jan 6, 11 17:57

Post #15 of 58 (5403 views)

A 10% grade is equal to 10 feet of rise for every 100 feet traveled horizontally. This is calculated as follows:

(10 feet) / (100 feet) = 0.10 = 10%
In order to calculate the total vertical distance you traveled, all you have to do is multiply the grade by the distance run. Here's the calculation for your 3 mile run:

(3 miles) * ((5280 feet)/(1 mile)) * 0.10 = 1584 feet

BobbyShaftoe

Jan 6, 11 18:17

Post #16 of 58 (5362 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [Nailey13] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Yup. He first shows what he thinks might be right (and was) but then goes on to say "10% incline on a treadmill for 3 miles is how many vertical feet?" So here is a person who does not have the math skills to be confident in a grade school math problem. All I am asking is: How much education does this person have and in what field? Is that upsetting to you?

JollyRogers

Jan 6, 11 18:28

Post #17 of 58 (5340 views)

BobbyShaftoe wrote:
RhymeAndReason wrote:

You're right I didn't but my question stands. How can a person have any education at all and not be able to calculate 10% of 3 miles? I know my daughter could do that in the 4th grade.
Bobby

Bobby, whether or not your daughter could figure it out, 10% of 3 miles is not the correct answer.

pedaller

Jan 6, 11 18:33

Post #18 of 58 (5324 views)

Sometimes the answer is not what it seems. Couldn't it be zero? Incline changes the feel of a treadmill, but there's no net vertical involved.

JollyRogers

Jan 6, 11 18:55

Post #19 of 58 (5269 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [pedaller] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

pedaller wrote:
Sometimes the answer is not what it seems. Couldn't it be zero? Incline changes the feel of a treadmill, but there's no net vertical involved.

Well, you can take that route, but then there's no net horizontal involved either so...

BobbyShaftoe

Jan 6, 11 19:13

Post #20 of 58 (5237 views)
Re: 10% on a treadmill for 3 miles... vertical is? [JollyRogers] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

JollyRogers wrote:
10% of 3 miles is not the correct answer.

Not exactly, but its within one half of one percent (1576 vs. 1584) and doesn't require the sin of the arcrtangent of the grade. I reckon < half a percent should be good enough for most work-out related issues.

RhymeAndReason

Jan 6, 11 19:22

Post #21 of 58 (5219 views)

LOL - most pointless workout ever!

JollyRogers

Jan 6, 11 19:33

Post #22 of 58 (5198 views)

BobbyShaftoe wrote:
JollyRogers wrote:
10% of 3 miles is not the correct answer.

Not exactly, but its within one half of one percent (1576 vs. 1584) and doesn't require the sin of the arcrtangent of the grade. I reckon < half a percent should be good enough for most work-out related issues.

Trig functions not required, just multiplication, division, squares and square roots - pythagorean theorem. Granted, it's not fourth grade material, but high school for sure.

bazilbrush

Jan 6, 11 19:38

Post #23 of 58 (5189 views)

Where is rappstar when we need him? He is an engineer, he would know this stuff.

chriskal

Jan 6, 11 19:47

Post #24 of 58 (5175 views)

BobbyShaftoe wrote:
bloomers wrote:

Don't know about the op, but I have a doctoral degree and didn't know the answer. And no, I never took many math classes. Cryptonomicon is a great book, but not every " educated" individual has a background in math like most of those characters. I'll hazard that there are a great many areas you have a limited background in that would make you look like a dipshit to those that do.

While I'm sure we all tremble in the presence of your 4th grader's mathematical prowess, it's not exactly like the op asked for the answer to 4+4.

LuckyMe

Jan 6, 11 19:55

Post #25 of 58 (5030 views)

Fail

Precent grade in the united states is expressed as:

100 x RISE/RUN

(This post was edited by LuckyMe on Jan 6, 11 19:59)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All  

Volunteer, Relay or straight to tri?
Were you introduced to tri through volunteering at a tri, or by competing first as a member of a relay, or did you begin immediately by doing the entire tri?
Volunteer
Relay member
Volunteer, then relay, then tri
Entire tri immediately
I don't do triathlons