Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this a new/different stem from what you originally had on there, or just reinstalling the existing stem? if the former, it might be worth trying with another copy of the same stem (if you or your dealer can get hold of one) just to see if there's indeed a dimensional issue.

Otherwise, instead of trying to drive the bolts after the stem is all the way down on the steerer, try getting the bolts started with the stem higher up on the steerer and gradually bring it down (front and rear) from there.

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
R&D Engineer
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your swift reply! The stem was retrofitted to the bike. Unfortantely the owner didn't spot the alignment was out and I'm now trying to correct things. There doesn't appear to be any damage to he parts or threads thankfully. I'll see if I can get the original stem.

I did try assembling it and moving down with the bolts started. I'll have another go. Is it ok to try this with the preload and locking not done?

Red is Faster - making you and your bike faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That should be OK, though it might be hard to set the preload at the end of the process...you're likely to be fighting against some friction at the stem clamp.

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
R&D Engineer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I figured that would happen. I would hope to back out after trying it and reassemble correctly, or worst case check for play/free movement as I wound the preload.

Thanks again.

ETA: I checked with the original stem and that was fine, so started again from scratch and it's good to go. Rider very happy.

Red is Faster - making you and your bike faster
Last edited by: SkippyKitten: Mar 23, 17 23:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry to but in but as a new member it doesn't seem to let me post in this fourm other then a reply. anyways i have a new 2015 speed concept 9 seires. with just under 400 miles on it. i have noticed that the fork is grinding into the head tube. has anyone seen this before ?
Last edited by: boneyard: Mar 20, 17 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [boneyard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Answered in the other thread...reprinted here:

I'd say SummitAK hit the high points here...that doesn't look like everything is put together properly. The stem, in particular, doesn't appear to be seated properly between the steerer (where you see the gap everyone is talking about) and the top of the fork. Almost like it's angled downwards. Tightened up in that position, it could bring the top of the fork back toward the headtube and cause the rubbing you see. It's also possible that there is excessive paint on either the back of the fork or the front of the headtube in that location (or both) or something has gotten caught in there and that's causing the rubbing. At the very least, I'd have a Trek dealer take a look at it and probably suggest they disassemble the front end and try again to see if it's just an assembly issue.

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
R&D Engineer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

A couple of questions about my 2012 7.8:

Firstly, I cannot find the manual for my bike anywhere, when going through the website archive it seems to bring up the 2014 manual, is this the one I should be using (with the exception of the mono base bar etc) or is there a 2012 version hiding somewhere?

Secondly, do you know if I can fit 25c tires in the frame (using the aura 5 wheelset that came with the bike)?

You truly are a credit to Trek, thanks for all the knowledge you impart on this forum!

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2011 9 series with the Bontrager 5.0 (I think) wheels and some old aluminum/carbon Zipp 404s that are slightly wider, at least at the external brake track. I ran GP4000's in 25c with no problem. I picked up some Enve's this spring and once i use up the 23c tires on them I plan on running 25c.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the kind words, Steve.

gen1 service manual, courtesy of the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/...t_Service_Manual.pdf

now, that manual is for the gen1 9-series bike...you've got a 7-series, so pretty much everything involved in the front end (cockpit, fork, etc) won't apply...but the bikes are the same from there on back, so when it comes to plumbing the frame for cables, or seatpost stuff, or BB etc, that manual will work.

on the 25c tire question, the general answer is yes, it should work...however, not all 25c tires are created equal...some have taller profiles than others. if memory serves (and a search on the forum would probably confirm), Conti 25c (I forget which model(s)) might interfere with the draftbox. Also, if you're running a SRAM front brake from the same era as the bike, those have a lot less clearance and again some 25c might touch. the gen1 bikes were designed around 23c rubber, which was part of the optimized system of that time with our wheels.

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
R&D Engineer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,
As always, I appreciate your help!

Can I use an Enve front wheel, width measures 26.6mm wide, in my SC 2nd generation 9.x, size XS (650c wheels)?

I like to set my brakes wide, so they are already open close to max. Would I need a shorter spring? Is one available?

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cheers, and sorry for the delayed response.

at max width the gen2 SC front brake can achieve ~36mm pad-to-pad (and the rear almost 40mm) with Bontrager carbon-specific pads. granted those are not as thick as standard pads or something like the SwissStop Black Prince, but even if I allow 2mm more per pad (which I think is generous) that gets you to 32mm and 36mm respectively.

have you backed out the width&centering setscrews all the way? see the last half of this post.

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
R&D Engineer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries, fast response and good information, as always!
I appreciate your help!
Quote Reply

Prev Next