Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl, followed the advice you gave NilsD and went back and looked closer at everything, my wedge was more preloaded up the cable than his. Brought it all the way out to flush with end of cable, and readjusted the setscrews. Problem seems to be solved. Thanks bunches.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [jareed58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great to hear! ride on.

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
Design Engineer - Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys.

Im about to lay down some serious money on a Trek Speed Concept because I have a love affair with TREK.. But I have some concerns and im wondering if you guys can lay them to rest.

The major one is around travel. I travel alot for events and im concerned that because of the spaghetti of integrated Di2 cables in the head tube dismantling this bike to put it into a bike box would be a complete nightmare!

Do any 2016 owners have any experience packing these things in a bike box and can you comment on just how easy/difficult it is? I have a BikeBox Alan if that makes a difference.

The 2nd issue is the sizing. Apparently I need an XL frame but the pad reach will be 12mm longer than my existing P3. I know its only 12mm and I could probably move the saddle forward but does anyone know if I could tap some new mounting holes into the single aero bar?

Thanks in advance for your advice

K
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [karrion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi karrion-

savvy Di2 owners bundle the excess wires and secure them with a ziptie or twist-tie or rubber band...no need for loose spaghetti.

on travel breakdown, check out this video (bonus: it's a Di2-equipped SC)

on sizing, I find it hard to believe you'd need to modify anything about the SC front end to accommodate the fit you have on your P3. got some fit coordinates you can post? armpad stack and reach are the key #s, but anything you can add will help.

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
Design Engineer - Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I travel with my '14 SC a fair amount. It breaks down and reassembles pretty easily to be honest. I have a different Di2 setup than most, however, that involves putting the junction box and battery in the SC specific bento on the top tube. This makes things a bit easier for me IMO. Maybe I'll post a picture later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karrion wrote:

The 2nd issue is the sizing. Apparently I need an XL frame but the pad reach will be 12mm longer than my existing P3. I know its only 12mm and I could probably move the saddle forward but does anyone know if I could tap some new mounting holes into the single aero bar?

Thanks in advance for your advice

K

The generic Trek sizing chart says I need a Large based on my height. But because I ride with a low stack, I need a Medium. A small would work, doesn't have enough reach. A Large can't go low enough enough front.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...C_FitGuide_final.pdf

If you know your stack and reach, you might verify that you need an XL, and you might verify that you cannot change the reach. The reach is the most easily adjustable position. The dimensions that have "Steps" are the stack (5mm increments) and the extension length (distance form shifters to pads) are in I think 5 mm increments. But depending on the extension length and reach you want, they only overlaps in certain ranges. Depending on where you land, you reach or stack may force you into a larger or smaller size.

Also, unless you love your position, you might take the opportunity to see a fitter and change things, ideally within the range of the frame size you choose.

Normally you err on the smaller frame size because you'll have a longer stem and it will handle better and be more stable feeling. Personally I prefer more weight on the front too.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice and prompt response guys..

I have thrown up my Retuul fit from last year.. From these stats I throught I came up as a "Large" Frame but I have spoken to both my LBS I am buying from and my Retuul Fit Guy and they both say "XL Frame"

What do you guys say?

K
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the vid Carl, this is perfect!! I dont know why I couldnt find this, I have been googling / youtubing around for ages trying to find exactly this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
running those numbers in the (real) SC fit chart I end up with you on a Large, too...high-far stem, 25mm monospacer + 5mm pad wing spacer...even nails the basebar stack within 1mm.

that said, your shop and your fitter are a lot closer to you and the process than I am. I can only guess they're seeing something that I don't (can't). the XL, medium-far, 45mm monospacer combo works too...basebar stack is a tad lower but it probably ends up as a cleaner looking bike overall. the frame geometry on the XL is the closest match to your 58 P3 as well, so it would offer the least difference in handling qualities.

one thing to watch for is standover height, as the XL is almost an inch more to step over vs the L...plus speedbox/bento or anything else you put on the toptube.

Carl Matson
Trek Bicycles
Design Engineer - Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl,

I think you are seeing the same thing as my LBS and fitter. They both said the Large would work but the number of spacers needed to make it work but be too much and make for a very ugly machine..

If you think the XL will work too and I can get my nuts over the top tube I think the closer geometry to my existing the P3 would be better.

Thanks again for all your advice and support! I see a nice new Speed Concept in my future :)

Ride Safe

K
Quote Reply

Prev Next