Quantcast
    MAIN INDEX RULES & LEGEND LOG IN  

Slowtwitch Forums: Triathlon Forum:
how do i determine if I have long legs and short torso?

trigu

May 1, 10 9:03

Post #1 of 9 (3683 views)
how do i determine if I have long legs and short torso? Quote | Reply

I've read on here that if I have long legs and a short torso that a narrow and tall bike will work well for me. How do I determine what is considered long legs and short torso? Is there a certain ratio of height to inseam to determie this? I'm 6'3'' with a 34'' inseam.

Crmurphy

May 1, 10 12:07

Post #2 of 9 (3652 views)
Re: how do i determine if I have long legs and short torso? [trigu] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Trigu,

A lot of the readers know their stack and reach measurements and can therfore use that as a gauge.

That said, most people, I would think, know where they fit based on everyday life...for instance, given your size, how many people do you know of a similar height? In general, what is their inseam? How do you stack up aganst them, no pun intended.

Personally, I know I have a short lower body and longer torso - 5'9" with a 29/30 inseam. Based on most people my height, that is short legs. I would do a google search, that's just me, of your height and inseam and see what falls out.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Chrissie wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor" Jordan Rapp

rexcoltrain

May 1, 10 12:09

Post #3 of 9 (3651 views)
Re: how do i determine if I have long legs and short torso? [trigu] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I looked all through the archives as well as google and couldn't come up with any definitive sort of ratio. It's really just a starting point anyway, to think about what frames might fit. It's up to a fitter to do the rest. As a reference, I'm barely 5'10, but have a 33" inseam.

mmrocker13

May 3, 10 6:02

Post #4 of 9 (3534 views)
Re: how do i determine if I have long legs and short torso? [rexcoltrain] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

In Reply To:
I looked all through the archives as well as google and couldn't come up with any definitive sort of ratio. It's really just a starting point anyway, to think about what frames might fit. It's up to a fitter to do the rest. As a reference, I'm barely 5'10, but have a 33" inseam.

I'm about your height, and my inseam is 34.5". I have a seriously midget torso.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com

Fleck

May 3, 10 6:45

Post #5 of 9 (3514 views)

I'm 6'3'' with a 34'' inseam.

Given that, I would say that you are about average, maybe even with a longer torso and shorter legs. I am 6'2"+ and have roughly a 33" inseam and I have what many people consider a really long torso.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog

bikedude

May 3, 10 9:54

Post #6 of 9 (3432 views)

like what Flick said you sound pretty good, now i have long leg and a short torso at 6'1" with a 36.5" inseam!
and i ride a 61cm road bike with a 58.9 TT and a 58cm Felt TT bike.
Dan...

kdw

May 3, 10 10:16

Post #7 of 9 (3412 views)

I'm 5'10" with a 34.5" inseam. I am considered long legs/short torso.

mcdoublee

May 3, 10 10:30

Post #8 of 9 (3386 views)

In Reply To:
I've read on here that if I have long legs and a short torso that a narrow and tall bike will work well for me. How do I determine what is considered long legs and short torso? Is there a certain ratio of height to inseam to determie this? I'm 6'3'' with a 34'' inseam.

I'd like to find some statistical data on relative size measurements. I suspect after height and inseam, the length of the femur and the humerus and their ratios to height, are probably very important metrics.

mr. mike

May 3, 10 11:25

Post #9 of 9 (3349 views)

A better measurement than height might be height of sternal notch because overall height includes neck and head.

Your Racing Helmet
What helmet brand do you anticipate most often using while racing in triathlons?
Giro
Rudy Project
Specialized
Louis Garneau
Lazer
Bell
Kask
Casco
Other