Quantcast
    MAIN INDEX RULES & LEGEND LOG IN  

Slowtwitch Forums: Triathlon Forum:
Does anyone know/ride this crank: Shimano FC-R550

wiffcheese

Mar 8, 10 6:43

Post #1 of 14 (6006 views)
Does anyone know/ride this crank: Shimano FC-R550 Quote | Reply

Found a smoking deal at a web retailer for this and have never heard of it.....just looking for some beater 172.5's for my roadie.....seems like a great deal!

SuperDave

Mar 8, 10 6:53

Post #2 of 14 (5997 views)
Re: Does anyone know/ride this crank: Shimano FC-R550 [ride2eat] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

In Reply To:
Found a smoking deal at a web retailer for this and have never heard of it.....just looking for some beater 172.5's for my roadie.....seems like a great deal!

10 speed 130mm BCD crankset in Shimano's "non-series" line. Comparable to Tiagra, but in a 10speed format. Shifting performance is good, on par with 105 group. Made in Malaysia, not Japan. They come in "silver" and Piano Black finish.

I used them on the S32 model.

-SD

Dave Koesel | Senior Product Manager
Felt Bicycles | 12 Chrysler | Irvine, CA 92618 USA
p: 949.268.4464 | e: davekoesel at feltbicycles dot com
feltbicycles.com | Skype: d_koesel

P_Ahart

Mar 8, 10 6:58

Post #3 of 14 (5992 views)
Re: Does anyone know/ride this crank: Shimano FC-R550 [ride2eat] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

I bought a pair to try out 165mm cranks. I can not really tell a differnce between these and the FC-R700 besides when I was holding them in my hands, they are alittle heavier.

wiffcheese

Mar 8, 10 7:00

Post #4 of 14 (5988 views)
Re: Does anyone know/ride this crank: Shimano FC-R550 [P_Ahart] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

Sounds like a winner winner chicken dinner. $49.99 with bb and free shipping.....yikes!

jackmott

Mar 8, 10 7:03

Post #5 of 14 (5985 views)

that is pretty sweet but I got a ritchey WCS crankset from the classifieds fir $45 with TWO BBs

they were all used but after some simple green I can pretend.

In Reply To:
Sounds like a winner winner chicken dinner.
$49.99 with bb and free shipping.....yikes!

A profile of 'Fast Freddie', the USAT 64-69 age group Olympic distance national champion
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter

wiffcheese

Mar 8, 10 7:07

Post #6 of 14 (5979 views)
Re: Does anyone know/ride this crank: Shimano FC-R550 [jackmott] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

yea i have put a few WTB's up for 172.5's, but i just don't need top of the line gear as most everything is sram red, DA or record. nice find!

jackmott

Mar 8, 10 7:13

Post #7 of 14 (5970 views)

I only ride beryllium aluminum cranks

In Reply To:
yea i have put a few WTB's up for 172.5's, but i just don't need top of the line gear as most everything is sram red, DA or record. nice find!

A profile of 'Fast Freddie', the USAT 64-69 age group Olympic distance national champion

AutomaticJack

Mar 8, 10 7:14

Post #8 of 14 (5971 views)

Comes stock on the 2009 Allez and Allez Sport. (the compact version)

I have one, along with BB, sealed in plastic and stuffed in a box in my garage with 2500 miles on it that is promised to a friend of mine.

It is not "on par" with a 105 IMHO. I could not get it to shifted quickly and smoothly on the Allez Sport, yet with a new 105 crank it shifts perfectly. Might be the fact that it is a 110 with a 50/39 and the 105 is a 130 with a 53/39, but ...

wiffcheese

Mar 8, 10 7:16

Post #9 of 14 (5966 views)
Re: Does anyone know/ride this crank: Shimano FC-R550 [jackmott] [In reply to] Quote | Reply

shit i didn't even know such a material existed in cranks....or i'm at the receiving end of some ball busting;)

jackmott

Mar 8, 10 7:17

Post #10 of 14 (5963 views)

In Reply To:
shit i didn't even know such a material existed in cranks....or i'm at the receiving end of some ball busting;)

ball busting
it doesn't exist..as far as I know!

it would be sweet though

wiffcheese

Mar 8, 10 7:19

Post #11 of 14 (5961 views)

i have been fortunate to ride with(or rather behind, barely hanging on) some extraordinary cyclists in my day and not once have i ever heard one say 'if only this crank was stiffer'. that's good enough for me.

jackmott

Mar 8, 10 7:25

Post #12 of 14 (5957 views)

Apparently cancellara said it once, so once I get to his FTP I'll buy some Dura Ace cranks

In Reply To:
i have been fortunate to ride with(or rather behind, barely hanging on) some extraordinary cyclists in my day and not once have i ever heard one say 'if only this crank was stiffer'. that's good enough for me.

wiffcheese

Mar 8, 10 7:30

Post #13 of 14 (5949 views)

exactly. as i age in this world i cringe at the money i have thrown after lightweight fancy stuff to no avail.....cringe. oh well at least it wasn't spent on drugs and booze. well, maybe some beerz.

OneGoodLeg

Mar 8, 10 14:20

Post #14 of 14 (5902 views)

Tp paraphrase on of my favorite quotes: "I spent most of my fortune on whiskey, women, and bike bling... the rest I just wasted."

Your Video
If you had a video of your best race ever, how often would you have watched it?
Never
1 or 2 times
Between 3 and 10
Between 10 and 50
Heck, probably hundreds