Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

minimalist shoes (flats) for wide/flat feet
Quote | Reply
So, I have switched over to running primarily in Vibram Five Fingers for base mileage (still working on increasing distance) hoping that it will help with some nagging injuries. The problem is that much of my running is in the dark and/or on the shoulders of the road, so the lack of protection is limiting. So, I'm looking to go with cross-country style flats. I have tried on several brands/makes and it seems that most are made for very narrow feet. My feet are moderately wide...

Has anyone else with wide feet found flats that work for you? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: minimalist shoes (flats) for wide/flat feet [rvrrdr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The New Balance 801 is designed for mid foot/forefoot striking. A lot more shoe than VFF's, but it is pretty flat and does not have a ton of fore foot cushioning. The Brooks Mud Dog seems to run a little wider than the other brands, it is what my son races in, and his feet are on the wider side of most brands. Also, check out the New Balance RX506, I know they make a 2E version of that flat. One of the guys I work with runs in the Ecco Biome on trails and VFF's on the road. He really likes the Biome. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a brand: Nike.

So many of Nike's racing flats seem ideally suited for wide feet. I've noticed this over the years. It's a big reason I usually go with Nike over Adidas and other brands of flats. I love many other flats, but they're mostly just a tiny bit too narrow for me. It's rare I find a Nike flat that's too narrow.

Here's a shoe with a very wide forefoot. I've done many runs in these:

http://www.eastbay.com/...=54422&mvp=sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm interested in this question as well. i hear that the mizuno wave universe 3's are pretty close to minimal as you can get outside of VFFs. I'm curious to hear about others opinions of this shoe and whether or not they would be suitable for someone with wide/flat feet.
Quote Reply
Re: minimalist shoes (flats) for wide/flat feet [onabubble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Keep it coming! Looks like I'm going to have to spend some time driving around town and trying different models.

To throw something else into the mix... How about durability of these guys? As a relatively heavy runner (170-ish), I'd be worried about having to replace these shoes every hundred miles or something... With the VFFs, I assume they will last a while, since there is essentially no cushion to break down.
Quote Reply
Re: minimalist shoes (flats) for wide/flat feet [pantanap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i'm interested in this question as well. i hear that the mizuno wave universe 3's are pretty close to minimal as you can get outside of VFFs. I'm curious to hear about others opinions of this shoe and whether or not they would be suitable for someone with wide/flat feet.
I haven't tried the universe 3's yet but a couple of other models of Mizunos all seemed to me to fit wider than some other brands I've worn. They seem durable enough too. I weigh about 200lbs and I'm still switching in my first pair of Ronin for a short run once or twice a week. My log says they're almost at 600 miles now.
Quote Reply