Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I found that soft silicone "pine trees" like the ones below work well, are cheap, easy to remove, and can easily be retrieved from my transition spot post race (highly visible on grass/asphalt).

These are awesome. I do all my swimming with them now.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Mouflon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mouflon wrote:
Same here too. I used to do flying mounts until during a race, I did a flying mount and the ''shock'' made me loose one of my bottles. Not worth that risk...

Is that a euphemism?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I don't see this one listed. Get a professional bike fit. Aside from doing all the training consistently & technically sound by refining it day after day--the bike fit for sure. If you're in a powerful/comfortable position you can ride longer, faster & have less impact to your run.

I've seen so many athletes rig a bike fit themselves & cramp themselves up by the end of the bike, that a walk-run or waddle is what they're left with.

Definitely.

Which reminds me, I've done some monkeying with my bars. I need to check them against Dan's fit numbers.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Kroppduster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kroppduster wrote:
1. When awaiting race start, carry a couple wet wipes in a plastic baggie in case you need a last minute trip to the potty. Nothing like needing that last-minute trip and finding none of the shitters have any TP left.

haha, I do the same thing to all races. I always offer the non-used ones to anyone waiting on line after I'm done. No one has yet to take me up on it.

I also carry a small tube of Aquaphor...perfect chamois cream that doesn't wash away in the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My old man gave me good advice back in Pony League Baseball that still applies today. Sitting in the car before an imporant game he looked over to me and gave me this advice:

"Try not to suck today."

That is my goal every day. Try not to suck at whatever I'm doing.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
Not really my BEST tip, but useful. Remove your wedding ring before the swim. Cold water=lost ring. Now it's part of my night before ritual..wife reminds me to remove the ring, and I politely (key word is politely) tell her I already have.

I once forgot to remove the ring. Didn't lose it, but attempted to swim with the left hand fisted. Gave up quickly, and waved over a kayaker to hold ring until race end (very nice of her). Don't be me.

I always do the same thing. But 4 years ago I was standing in the water waiting for the start of Ironman Sweden one minute ahead when I noticed I forgot to take off may wedding ring. I quickly thought and managed to open my wrist watch strap, put the ring around it (without letting it fall into the water) and close it again before the start.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a small head torch with you on race day, it will help with any adjustments to your bike/checking tyre pressures etc, first thing in the morning when the light may be poor. Particularly useful for us older types with crap eyesight.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
Practice. Flying. Mounts.

I don't care how stupid you feel prancing around a parking lot in spandex because quite frankly, you really do look that stupid; however, not NEARLY as stupid as you look when you fall coming out of T-1.

Yeah, ask me.

More than once.
You might also ride into someone else who is getting on their bike because you are too busy trying to get your shoes on to pay attention, and then I will yell at you. (The guy hit my front wheel and knocked me into the grass but I didn't crash).

Put baby powder in your socks. That way, they will slip on easily even if your feet are wet, and it prevents blisters.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not about any one long ride or long run. It's what you do day in and day out that matters most
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stindiana wrote:
Check out the swim-in, swim-out, bike-in, bike-out and run-in (just for my Du friends), run-out and the finish line.
Count the racks or find a landmark at BOTH swim-in and bike-in, especially if you're entering transition from two different spots. "Turn left after the second rack/big tree" is a lot easier than running up and down each row trying to remember where your spot is.

Tronk wrote:
I always wonder why people put everything on their only towel. When they enter T1, it is the first thing they want to pick up (to dry their feet, face, etc.) and it is underneath everything. My tip, take a couple towels. One to keep stuff off the ground, and one for a quick wipe off.
To go with the above, I always take two BRIGHT green towels. One on the ground with my stuff, one laying on my bike to help me find it and then for a quick dry off.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is this "drying off?" Nobody got time for that!
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
Rack the bike in the small chain ring so you can take off quicker.

Don't do that, as this will leave your chain under minimal tension and therefore at high risk to fall off before you even get on the bike.
Instead: Big ring up front, and an easier gear in the back.This should be easy enough to start pedaling (unless its a hill right out of T1) and puts the chain under maximum tension.

Other tips:
  • Put gels in a little Gel-Flask to avoid having to mess with the packaging and risking a littering penalty.
  • Stash repair kit under your saddle (like in between the rails). Totally hidden from the wind.
  • Don't ride too hard uphill, Crush the downhills.
  • Never go out too hard on the run (unless tactically necessary fighting for a position)
  • Bring backup goggles, race-belt
  • Always have enough zip-ties, safety pins, rubber bands, electrical tape
  • And as always: Don't draft (unless the race allows it)

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine are pretty minor, but here's two:

1) in cold races (looking at you, IMNC, nee Beach to Battleship), bring those chemical little heating packets. In T1, put them in your gloves & toe warmers. Coming out of 60 degree water and riding in 45 degree air can be pretty miserable.

2) in T2, put a bunch of your run gear (visor, race belt, nutrition, sunglasses, etc) into a ziplock freezer bag. In T2, just change shoes, grab your ziplock bag, and start running. Deal with the stuff in your bag while jogging the first half mile.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Back to triathlon tips....

Use earplugs for the swim. They make it a lot easier to keep your balance during the swim exit, and I found having water in my ears contributed to feeling nauseous on the run.

I found that soft silicone "pine trees" like the ones below work well, are cheap, easy to remove, and can easily be retrieved from my transition spot post race (highly visible on grass/asphalt).

+1 . . . And remember to take them out.

I got my finisherpix drafts from an HIM a couple of years ago and the damn white wax plugs were still there around mile 7.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Accept the fact that you are going to hurt at some point in the race. The sooner that you are ok with hurting the easier it will be when the suffering starts.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay to the outside to start the swim. No need to join in the washing machine -- the 20 seconds you lose are well worth the time you don't spend getting punched or kicked or both.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
I got my finisherpix drafts from an HIM a couple of years ago and the damn white wax plugs were still there around mile 7.

Supposedly cyclists time trial faster (on a closed course) with earplugs in their ears, the theory being that they don't get as much wind noise at high speed. I don't think it's a good plan for safety reasons to do in a try bike split though.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General triathlon tip: Nobody, and I mean nobody (not even your dog), cares that much about your results. If it seems like they do, they are probably just trying to be nice. It's like listening to someone talking about their fantasy football team. "Yes Brad, everyone knows you drafted Jordy Nelson...and nobody cares."

Actual race tip: a little sandwich bag with some Vaseline in it (that you grab and carry with you out of T2) can do wonders for you if/when you need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you race long course, three critical equipment elements come to mind. Goggles that don't leak, bike saddle that is (relatively) comfortable, and run shoes that are supportive, light, and don't tear up your feet. If any of these fail, life is miserable.

tinman
Quote Reply

Prev Next