Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maddux 2.1 Disc Wheels & CX Question
Quote | Reply
Wondering if anyone had experience with Maddux 2.1 Disc wheels. They came stock on my 2015 CAADX. I realize they are a little heavy, but I was more concerned about durability.
Which leads to a more general question, if I plan to enter cross races, should I have a backup set of wheels? Trying to determine if it is wise to get another wheelset - Stans No Tube Grail seem popular cross wheels.
Thanks

I don't have personal experience with those wheels but they are probably fine. I don't think it is a bad idea to have an extra set of wheels to throw in the pit. I flatted twice this last season.

If you put different tires on each set you can swap them out quickly depending on course conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Maddux 2.1 Disc Wheels & CX Question [Bville] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a set, as does a riding buddy of mine. We both needed the rears rebuilt inside 12 months of ownership as spokes were breaking at the threads. Other than a set of dud spokes they seem ok for the price of the bike they came on.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Re: Maddux 2.1 Disc Wheels & CX Question [slidecontrol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I was hoping they held up reasonably well. Seems it would make sense to continue my search for some sale wheels or better yet a good used set.

Thanks. All things considered, it sounds they are good stock wheels. I figure I can use these as my back-up/training set and continue to search for a decent set to use on race day.

Can't speak to the those wheels themselves, but if you are going to do cross races, you should have a second set. And they should be tubular, or at least tubeless. CX is the one discipline where tubular tires have a definite advantage (to be able to run low pressures without risk of pinch flatting). What I have done is get a good set of tubular disc wheels built with a good set of all purpose tires and use the stock wheels, which are clincher, as my pit and training tire. I've gotten enough into CX at this point that I think I am going to get a 2nd set of tubulars and mount mud tires on them, and use them as back ups
Quote Reply
Re: Maddux 2.1 Disc Wheels & CX Question [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I was starting to think as I researched things more. Can't say that I am at all familiar with tubular wheels or tires. Any suggestions for reasonably priced wheels and good all purpose tubular tires would be appreciated.