Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PC8 or 7?
Quote | Reply
I've had a PC6 for a looong time and I think it may be giving up the ghost. If I had to replace it, which to go to? I'm not a big bells and whistles gps, Strava type- just need the basics.

Meantime I'll do my homework.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy
Quote Reply
Re: PC8 or 7? [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PC8, hands down. Major upgrade. I have a PC7 as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
I've had a PC6 for a looong time and I think it may be giving up the ghost. If I had to replace it, which to go to? I'm not a big bells and whistles gps, Strava type- just need the basics.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

nothing to see here, folks. Jimmy McNulty is drunk again ;)

PC-8 allows for full customization, which if i were buying would seal the deal. But then again, it's way too spendy for my needs...
Quote Reply
Re: PC8 or 7? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

PC-8 allows for full customization, which if i were buying would seal the deal. But then again, it's way too spendy for my needs...

Yeah, it's pricey and the additional info is cool but after watts, hr, distance, kjs, time, intervals, who really cares? I can get a 7 for half the price and spend the rest on booze.
The 6 would go forever on a charge. It sounds as if with gps the 8 can run down quickly, by comparison that is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

Yeah, it's pricey and the additional info is cool but after watts, hr, distance, kjs, time, intervals, who really cares? I can get a 7 for half the price and spend the rest on booze.
The 6 would go forever on a charge. It sounds as if with gps the 8 can run down quickly, by comparison that is.

Attaboy, Jimmy. Go for a used 6, then you can invite the rest of the Western District for booze and blow from the evidence room.

Jest aside, how is the training going? I hope you have made a full recovery from the injury last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy
i'm an SRM dealer, so apply all the caveats...

as you already know from your PC6 use, the key with the PC7 was that it was absolutely bomber--very, very rare to get data dropouts and/or a lost file. that was always the value proposition of the PC7. many people perceived it as "too expensive", but those that needed/wanted that reliability found the value in it.

the main complaint i heard from many users was that they needed (/wanted) GPS and, so, could not go with a PC7. the PC8 answered that objection.

it is certainly more configurable than the PC7 (that said--the PC7 had everything *i* needed for training; that's not true for everyone, though), but GPS does burn more battery. the display is even better than the PC7.

but....the PC8 is expensive. no way around that. there are great deals to be had on PC7s now, if that's an issue for you.
Quote Reply
Re: PC8 or 7? [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, the GPS can always be disabled on the PC8.

If you can swing the extra cash, the PC8 is the way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: PC8 or 7? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Jimmy

Attaboy, Jimmy. Go for a used 6, then you can invite the rest of the Western District for booze and blow from the evidence room.

Jest aside, how is the training going? I hope you have made a full recovery from the injury last year.

Thanks, E. Yes, I'm back or as back as one can be at my age. Shoulder is ugly but fine, power is gone but returning...some. Weight has to be low, like 25 years ago low, but I'm tilting at the windmill again.

Thanks, Teton. You dispense sound advice and I haven't heard "bomber" in ages. Climber lingo. The Exum guys used to drag me around back in the day. I miss JH. Still want to do Moran.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't there some issues about the PC8 not being 'water proof'? I have read some stuff about that.
Quote Reply
Re: PC8 or 7? [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the Tweet I was thinking about:

https://twitter.com/...s/664695165810950145
Quote Reply