Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ventum announces pro athletes.... [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not work for Ventum, I am not a pro and I do not give a shit how aero it is vs other superbikes, I was there to test some different position, clothing and helmets options and compare them to each other.
I bought the Ventum because I travel a lot and it breaks down very easy. I grew tired of picking up the 500 washers that would fall out of my IA areobars and basebar when I would break it down.
I can not say enough about the initial experience with the Ventum guys and their continued support when I have to ask them anything. I love the bike and with the race wheels on I think it is prettier than my old bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum announces pro athletes.... [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well then clearly the bike is for you.

Is it more faster for you than your IA? We'll never know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be curious to see data from MBK after her IMNZ win and course record. She is on a Ventum now after several seasons on Boardman frame. She was also wearing what looked a more aero helmet than in the past.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum announces pro athletes.... [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else seen Cam Dye's new fit on his Ventum? Compared to his Fuji, he has a significant higher stack on the ventum with no way to go any lower.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum announces pro athletes.... [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody posted his wind tunnel visit info today: http://www.codybeals.com/...with-the-ventum-one/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't really tell us anything and gives no insight as to A) if the Ventum is as fast as they claim and B) the reliability of Faster.

I will say that .216m^2 is good, but far from earth shattering, especially considering the difficulty of maintaining the fastest positions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regarding reliability, he did specifically point out that he did lots of repeated baseline runs and that they were all very very close to each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Cody posted his wind tunnel visit info today: http://www.codybeals.com/...with-the-ventum-one/

It still doesn't explain why Ventum's P5 data is different than everyone else that tested the P5.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum announces pro athletes.... [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibson00 wrote:
Regarding reliability, he did specifically point out that he did lots of repeated baseline runs and that they were all very very close to each other.

Yes but they only tested at zero degrees and the deviations I see with their data are all at wider angles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have personal experience at Faster. I took a group six which included some of the best TTers in the country in their category to the tunnel. We spent two days in the tunnel and all of our data was consistent. During my runs, I did several baselines as a control and all were very similar. I have one other tech savvy friend that was recently they and they spoke highly of their experience and data. One of our original six was back there this week tweaking some things, although I haven't got his data yet nor a full report, his text were very positive. In my experience and those that have shared with me I have not seen any abnormalities.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum announces pro athletes.... [burninglegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  • The data looks odd, I agree.
  • The sample sizes of these comparisons are very small, and always will be due to tunnel time costs and the relatively small triathlon bike market. But if someone wins a Superball and feels like wasting some money, create a standard testing protocol, using a dummy, then run them all a whole bunch of times in a bunch of tunnels. Then we can all argue when the various brands selectively release data. ("We kick Brand X's ass at 9 and 14 degree yaw drive side.")
  • The major differences are over 10 degrees which, unless I am misinterpreting things (very possible) appears to be less important based on what Flo released.

Quote Reply
Re: Ventum announces pro athletes.... [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re the Flo stuff, I don't get it.....how is it that all these years the assumption was that most average athletes would experience somewhere around 12 yaw, but now that has suddenly changed? What did Flo do that caused all prior data from other companies to be wrong?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marketing dude. I think I saw over 10° once and it was brief. Let's also not forget that wind speed isn't measured at the ground site generally yaw will be quite a bit less than people think.

In regards to faster over X sweep, it means nothing unless A) you see those angle regularly, B) you use the same fork and tire/tub as they did in testing and C) Crr is constant.

All of that said at least you can validate wheels whereas with frames it's a complete sh!t show.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum announces pro athletes.... [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange expectation from a guy trying to dial his own setup and then sharing his results.
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum announces pro athletes.... [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that Faster will get better in the months ahead.

In the past.....

Faster has been great for an individual or group to get a better position(s). On the same day (within a few hours) they can do some baseline runs that are very consistent. The tunnel will do exactly what many do - get a more aero fit.

This issue with Faster has been with baseline consistency from day to day, week to week etc..

If one tests wheels or a bike (one day) and brings the exact same wheel or bike back a week later the numbers don't add up. So if you make some changes based on the original numbers and try and go back to see how great your changes are your SOL ......

One could just test on different days until you get the numbers you want to publish or have a luck day - but that kinda adds to the skepticism with respect to "what is real vs what is marketing".

I think that is the essence of the complaints.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
Marketing dude. I think I saw over 10° once and it was brief. Let's also not forget that wind speed isn't measured at the ground site generally yaw will be quite a bit less than people think.

What I'm getting from this is that we all should have just stuck with the DuPont/Specialized trispokes!! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't expecting Cody to address that at all. It was more on the lines of a response to his slowtwitch comment (doesn't think Faster should be getting a bad name from posters here). He's entitled to his opinion rightfully so but there are still questions out there about Faster that haven't been answered.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum announces pro athletes.... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, AeroGeeks tested the bike for a month and spoke very highly of its handling qualities. They're a marketing blog, but they do offer considered opinions and this one is fairly firm.

Lack of proper test results this far out from its release are still concerning, as are a few questions about its reliability. I'd like to think that this is a product still in development. There's a lot of room for optimization, particularly around the front end. I also want to know if the large chainstays produce a significant low-pressure area negating other gains.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Ventum announces pro athletes.... [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are the reliability questions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Users are bound to come across issues that didn't come up in testing because the number of testers and year of experience was just too small. Again, I am not talking about Aero. No doubt, Ventum not having to fall in to the design constraints of the UCI puts them in a unique position to capitalize on possible radical designs. That is however not why I wouldn't buy one myself. Why would I depart from a Trek Speed Concept that I have already owned when Trek has been designing, manufacturing, assembling bikes for 25 years. They are proven sound both mechanically and aerodynamically.
No doubt Trek or any long time manufacturer isn't immune to issues, but when it comes to something like my life, I want to be darn sure that I am not the first person to realize that some material used that worked in trial runs, but when I bring my bike out on a Tucson day where the ambient air temp is 112 and the surface temp is who knows what, and I leave my bike outside in the sun at a gas station, that it doesn't disintegrate at 40mph bombing down some hill.

...and
Quote:
Not sure if I hear about them because at races I tend to be around a lot of pro athletes or what. Also not sure why in some cases they haven't been talked about more publicly. I don't want to open myself up to any sort of liability and since it hasn't been discussed more publicly by those athletes I take that to assume there was some sort of agreement that was reached.

Thomas Gerlach, upthread. Take that as you will.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I was hoping he was talking about a bike other than Ventum!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spasmus wrote:
Thanks, I was hoping he was talking about a bike other than Ventum!

My point just speaks to general reliability in product lifecycles. Even Apple makes mistakes and they have been in the phone business a long time and have a lot of phones out there. The more people who have the Ventum bike, the more problems will come to light, the more refinement that takes place, the better the bike gets. No product starts out anywhere close to perfect and even with a specific product line there are always many production/manufacturing changes. Being an early adopter can be a very painful process.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
On the other hand, AeroGeeks tested the bike for a month and spoke very highly of its handling qualities. They're a marketing blog, but they do offer considered opinions and this one is fairly firm.

Lack of proper test results this far out from its release are still concerning, as are a few questions about its reliability. I'd like to think that this is a product still in development. There's a lot of room for optimization, particularly around the front end. I also want to know if the large chainstays produce a significant low-pressure area negating other gains.

Aerogeeks did do a long term test and they gave an honest opinion. We worked very hard on the ride characteristics of the bike and this shows in the ride reviews the Ventum gets.

In terms of reliability we have conducted extensive testing from stress testing over a million stress cycles and pass ISO 4210:2014. We also conducted thousands of hours of road testing with our numerous pro athletes and some pro cyclists who can not be named because of their Pro-tour team contracts. This was to fine tune the lay-up to have good rider feedback and comfort while maintaining the best possible performance.

ISO standards are now the Gold standard in bike structure integrity which came into effect last 2015. We are proud at Ventum to pass these tests. We also offer a lifetime warranty on our bikes.

We are working on a front end which will help shave some grams of drag, add adjust-ability and add to the looks of the front end.

With the large chain-stays we looked at this closely and the boundary layer of air sticking to the wheel. We looked at bleed holes and smaller stays to make sure there wasn't a low pressure or vacuum area. The large non-drive side stay was found to allow decent air flow so no low pressure zone was created while the drive side was not deep enough to effect it. Testing included a bottom shark like fin and a rear box. We found these add-ons to not aid in the performance of the bike.

JImmy Seear
Co-Founder Ventum
http://www.ventumracing.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next