Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

keeping cold feet a little warmer on the bike
Quote | Reply
I live in the central California coast, where the coldest it generally gets in the winter is high-40s and the daytime temperature is only rarely as cold as the 50s, usually somewhere in the 60s, maybe 70s in the summer--in other words, perfect cycling weather. But I've always had poor circulation to my feet, and there's something about cycling that really exacerbates it, so I come back from many rides with my feet really unpleasantly cold. My shoes fit well, I wear synthetic or wool socks, I don't overtighten my shoes.

I'm mulling my options in terms of overshoes and toe covers, what do people like?

Hoping to pick something up tomorrow with the current sales going on.

Feedback appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: keeping cold feet a little warmer on the bike [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to have cold feet.
Toe covers haven't ever done anything for me. Their utility is when it is a bit chilly in the morning, but you 100% plan on taking them off at the first coffee stop

Scenario 1: Chilly but dry aka "The Basics"
1. I keep a pair of shoes specifically for cold weather (The old Sworks road as they fit a bit looser than current models... and bright orange because well... it's bright orange).
2. Wool socks (I like Darn Tough)
2.5 I also wear a set of Castelli Windproof socks (they're a thin membrane-like oversock)

Scenario 2: Chilly but wet
Same as above with a set of Specialized Deflect Shoe covers. These are pretty thin and mostly serve to keep me dry as the socks are enough warmth.

Scenario 3: Cold
Scenario 1 plus either Pearl Izumi Elite Barrier or GORE windstopper. These shoe covers are warm and dry.

Scenario 4: F'ing Cold
Scenario 3 plus Chemical Hand Warms between shoe and shoe cover at the toe.

Scenario 5: Hell Hath Froze over
Scenario 4 plus Chemical Toe warmers attached to sock cuffs

I hate when my feet are cold.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Nov 29, 15 17:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was out for an hour today on my MTB in just-below-freezing weather (that's high twenties for you Fahrenheit people), with 2 to 3 inches of snow on the ground that gets flung up on my feet and into the drivetrain. Neoprene booties FTW! The ones I have are way out of production but they're a lot like these ones here.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: keeping cold feet a little warmer on the bike [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shoe covers all the way. Toe warmers are all but worthless imho. They might buy you a couple degrees at the most, but shoe covers while wearing a decent wool sock (or any thermal sock for that matter) will buy you 20 degrees over shoes alone. Its as good as a high priced boot - assuming you don't need a waterproof set-up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode this weekend and it was cold and started to rain.. my feet felt numb.. wondering what I could do to fix this? lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do Merino wool socks down to high 40s and shoe covers below that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you wear warm socks with shoe/toe covers and still get cold feet, do your best to keep your legs warm. Wear leg warmers and do your best to keep all you skin covered. Think about it, if the blood going to your toes is cooled off even a little, it's making things worse and your arteries will constrict and limit blogs flow to your feet as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overshoes and toe covers are very poor substitutions for proper winter shoes.

The sidi diablos are worth a look.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: keeping cold feet a little warmer on the bike [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate all the advice. Seems like overshoes, either wind/water resistant or maybe waterproof/breathable, make the most sense for me. Full-blown winter shoes seem like overkill for biking in conditions ranging from the high-50s through the 60s, despite the fact that my feet get cold when the rest of me is perfectly warm (I've sometimes wondered whether I have mild Reynaud's--hasn't kept me from alpine climbing or other similar adventures, but I am very, very proactive about managing my feet in more extreme environments).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the north bay. forgot my toe covers the other day, stopped at the park and wrapped my feet in the bags supplied for dog owners, then put my shoes back on. thank goonies I thought of it, cold cold morning and the price was right.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: keeping cold feet a little warmer on the bike [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
I live in the north bay. forgot my toe covers the other day, stopped at the park and wrapped my feet in the bags supplied for dog owners, then put my shoes back on. thank goonies I thought of it, cold cold morning and the price was right.

I have an old pair of waterproof/breathable socks buried in a gear box somewhere. I wasn't all that impressed with them back in the day because they quickly developed a little leak, but I suspect they'll be helpful if I can dig them out.

Back when I was doing more winter/alpine stuff, I experimented with non-breathable ones, and there's a whole theory around how that should create a moist warm microclimate and then your body shuts off the sweat glands, though my experience there was a bit more mixed. And holy hell did did feet smell bad coming back out of them. I remember one trip in Iceland where at the end of ten days off-trail backpacking we intersected with a tourist bus to get home, and the reaction on the bus when we took our footwear off was pretty hilarious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
Appreciate all the advice. Seems like overshoes, either wind/water resistant or maybe waterproof/breathable, make the most sense for me. Full-blown winter shoes seem like overkill for biking in conditions ranging from the high-50s through the 60s, despite the fact that my feet get cold when the rest of me is perfectly warm (I've sometimes wondered whether I have mild Reynaud's--hasn't kept me from alpine climbing or other similar adventures, but I am very, very proactive about managing my feet in more extreme environments).

I live in Nor Cal too, and have the same problem. Rest of me is totally warm, even to the point of too warm, and my feet get cold. Doesn't happen running, no matter the temp, only cycling. I wear wool socks in all but the hottest months. I have a thin pair of silk sock liners that I add when it's cold, and use sandwich baggies on my feet. Cut off the ziplock park and just put them on over your toes. Your whole foot isn't wrapped in plastic, so there is still some breathability, but the front half of your foot and your toes are protected from the cold.

This helps in all but the coldest months, like now. I bought some Gore Windstopper booties to try. Haven't really tested them yet so I can't say if they'll keep my feet warm on a whole ride in the 40s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have some circulation issues. Tricks that have worked for me - Most shoes have vents in the soles. Pull the insoles out and cover the vents with duct tape or electrical tape on the inside to keep air from coming in at the bottom of the shoe. The put the insole back in.

It took me forever to figure this out - shoe covers were not working for me and then a friend told me to do this and PRESTO! Made a huge difference once I blocked airflow into the shoes from those holes! Remember to remove the tape when the weather gets warm again - usually one ride with sweaty feat serves as a good reminder.

My other trick for sub 40 days - get those disposable hand warmers and I put one on top of my toes outside of the shoe and anchor it in place with a toe cover. Works like a charm!

Also - another poster mentioned keeping your legs warm - this is also key for me - my friends will all be in knickers and I have full blown tights on.
Last edited by: themadcyclist: Nov 30, 15 4:54
Quote Reply
Re: keeping cold feet a little warmer on the bike [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wool socks + shoe covers. After that, I ride slower and slower bikes going from TT to road bike to cyclocross bike to eventually MTB (no fast tire bike unfortunately) until eventually I just stay indoors on the trainer, since my hands and face are getting too cold.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Insulated shoe covers and heavier socks get me down to the mid 30's. I don't find shoe covers to be uncomfortably warm if the temps rise during the ride and sometimes I end up with them still on with temps in the 50's without issues. The only downsides to them is you can't fiddle with your shoes while riding and they look kind of bad if you're not wearing tights or leg warmers;-) I get some value from toe warmers in the mid to low 50's but that's about it.

I use chemical toe warmers now and then under shoe covers when its really cold but they need oxygen for the chemical reaction to work and they burn up what's available under the shoe cover in an hour or so. So they are not really all that great under shoe covers for longer rides unless you stop and let in some more air (they will restart themselves). Or maybe its the coffee during the stop that warms me up . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very surprised at all the comments saying toe covers are worthless!
They clearly aren't. They provide a significant reduction in lost heat, however they are obviously not as warm as overshoes - assuming they're decent neoprene or softshell overshoes. I used to wear overshoes when the temperatures got below about 12C (50F) and overshoes the rest of the time. That often meant I had a choice between feet that were too warm in overshoes or too cold without. When I eventually tried toe covers I found they make a great compromise and I now use them for much of the season since temperatures here are very often in the 10C-16C range where toe covers work great for me.
Another great thing about toe covers is you can use them in multisport races without huge time penalties that overshoes would inflict. I've used them in a number of duathlons and adventure races held early or late in the season when conditions can be pretty poor. Overshoes would be great except they'd cost significant time in transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My feet get cold in ridiculously high temperatures. Someone recommended the Castelli thermal socks which looked like ordinary socks but to my surprise they worked throughout winter (SCal winter)
Quote Reply
Re: keeping cold feet a little warmer on the bike [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLACKSHEEP wrote:
My feet get cold in ridiculously high temperatures. Someone recommended the Castelli thermal socks which looked like ordinary socks but to my surprise they worked throughout winter (SCal winter)

I'm assuming these are the Castelli Thermolite socks, of which there seems to be a lower 9 cm version and a higher 13 cm version?

Yep, the rest of me can be perfectly toasty, and my feet are freezing...
Quote Reply
Re: keeping cold feet a little warmer on the bike [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:

I live in Vegas and that is basically my cold weather footwear. I wear 2 pairs of socks with the dog waste bag sandwiched between the socks.
Quote Reply