Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

L/R Balance - What's Normal
Quote | Reply
Went from a Stages PM to a Powertap, and so for the first time got data on L/R balance. Generally, I'm about 45-55 in favor of my right leg, although it's a little more pronounced at higher cadences, and a little more balanced at low cadences. Am I normal? Should I try to fix this, and if so, how?
Quote Reply
Re: L/R Balance - What's Normal [SoonerMagic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you have a true L/R measurement, like from a PowerTap P1 or Vector, it's a guess at your L/R balance. Since it's a guess, don't put too much time in to worrying about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoonerMagic wrote:
Went from a Stages PM to a Powertap, and so for the first time got data on L/R balance. Generally, I'm about 45-55 in favor of my right leg, although it's a little more pronounced at higher cadences, and a little more balanced at low cadences. Am I normal? Should I try to fix this, and if so, how?
Asymmetry and variable asymmetry are both normal.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: L/R Balance - What's Normal [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. But since you asked i have a quarq elsa RS which takes a guess as well and i am any where from 47/53 to 49/51. In all reality it doesn't matter if you are running well off the bike. Enjoy the powertap.
Quote Reply
Re: L/R Balance - What's Normal [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
Asymmetry and variable asymmetry are both normal.

I was going to say:

"Some degree of asymmetry is normal"

but I like your statement better.
Quote Reply
Re: L/R Balance - What's Normal [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isn't the answer in this case the actual "42" :)
Quote Reply
Re: L/R Balance - What's Normal [jph437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quarq elsa RS as well, i am 47/53 lower powers and evens out to 50/50 at race pace power levels

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually sit around 46-54, but vary between 43-57 up to 50-50, with seemingly no predictable reason why it changes (measured on Powertap P1's on the road bike/TT bike and P2M on the mountain bike)
Quote Reply
Re: L/R Balance - What's Normal [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
Watched the hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy on the trainer this morning, 42 is the answer!
Quote Reply
Re: L/R Balance - What's Normal [jbinkc08] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbinkc08 wrote:
jeffp wrote:
Watched the hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy on the trainer this morning, 42 is the answer!
Oh yeah, and my balance was 50 50 per my power2max
Quote Reply
Re: L/R Balance - What's Normal [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Asymmetry and variable asymmetry are both normal."

This is a nice pithy proverb but there has to be a point where the asymmetry begins to be abnormal. I think we can all agree that if someone posted my L/R is 80/20 (assume the PM is correct and true L/R) this person is displaying some sort of severe balance deficiency.
100/0 very bad
90/10 bad
80/20 bad
70/30 probably bad.
65/35 probably bad.
60/40, maybe bad
?????????????? [ Transition area]
55/45 most probably OK
50/50 OK
Quote Reply
Re: L/R Balance - What's Normal [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:

This is a nice pithy proverb but there has to be a point where the asymmetry begins to be abnormal. I think we can all agree that if someone posted my L/R is 80/20 (assume the PM is correct and true L/R) this person is displaying some sort of severe balance deficiency.
100/0 very bad
90/10 bad
80/20 bad
70/30 probably bad.
65/35 probably bad.
60/40, maybe bad
55/45 most probably OK
50/50 OK

I linked to abstracts of 9 pedalling (a)symmetry studies in this blog item.

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/...-out-of-balance.html

I haven't done a "meta" view of all the data to see the overall picture other enough to see that they basically support the pithy power proverb. Not sure there's enough data in in public domain yet to say what is / is not OK.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: L/R Balance - What's Normal [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantelones wrote:

100/0 very bad
90/10 bad
80/20 bad
70/30 probably bad.
65/35 probably bad.
60/40, maybe bad
55/45 most probably OK
50/50 OK

PPP: "Asymmetrical pedaling: not a problem until it is a problem."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoonerMagic wrote:

Are you talking about Powertap pedals?

I work for a company with a L/R-capable powermeter and every day I see riders - from Elites to complete beginners - produce anything from 56/44 steady, to varies-by-output, to perfect 50/50. I usually average a perfect 50/50 over the first few hours, but with fatigue I've seen myself more near 47/53 towards the end of the ride.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply