Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bad luck with flats on a Flo 90 [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. All of them have. The difference being pumps with one hole that fits both or one with two. Again, this isn't complicated. These are the same pumps I used on all my other presta valves and extenders without issue. Yet they do not work with these silca valves and a couple others noted here. Even with my joe blow I have to hold the connection tight or have somebody else hold it. Just like somebody else here.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with flats on a Flo 90 [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Yes. All of them have. The difference being pumps with one hole that fits both or one with two. Again, this isn't complicated. These are the same pumps I used on all my other presta valves and extenders without issue. Yet they do not work with these silca valves and a couple others noted here. Even with my joe blow I have to hold the connection tight or have somebody else hold it. Just like somebody else here.

Do you have the regular extender or the removable valve core version? I'm asking these questions because I've not heard of any others with this pump fit issue.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Last edited by: Canadian: Dec 17, 15 19:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regular. You may want to refer to post 12 and you will see that others have had this issue as well.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have to say I was relieved to see the title of this thread.

I get so many flats with my rear 90--puncture, impact, and mystery--that I rarely use it in training anymore. My old Ksyriums almost NEVER flat.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Regular. You may want to refer to post 12 and you will see that others have had this issue as well.

I see that now. Well that makes two. I can only imagine it is the pump head you are using. We've shipped thousands of these and this is the first "two" times I've heard of this. I'd like to send you some new extenders if you'd like to try those. Would that work? PM me your info if so.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with flats on a Flo 90 [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
Have to say I was relieved to see the title of this thread.

I get so many flats with my rear 90--puncture, impact, and mystery--that I rarely use it in training anymore. My old Ksyriums almost NEVER flat.

Puncture and impact flats would happen with just about any wheel. That said, mystery flats are often caused by improperly installed rim tape, pinches during installation, debris in the tire etc. Have you thoroughly inspected all of the above?

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I am #3. I have the same issue, I need to hold the pump head firmly on the valve while pumping to get air in. The good news is once they are aired up, they hold the pressure longer than any other wheels I have and several hundred miles on them with no flats. Love the wheels!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again, this isn't complicated.

To be fair, you've kind of made it more complicated than necessary by combining your flats due to hitting stuff with your silica adapter issues. Its not clear to me how the type of wheel has any bearing here either.

For the people getting multiple flats, very important to do some forensics on your tubes after a flat and find out where the hole is on the tube and then carefully inspect that location on the tire/wheel. I've had a tiny sliver of metal embedded in the tire that I couldn't feel when running a finger along the inside of the tire and only found by turning the tire inside out and very closely examining the spot on the tire that corresponded to the hole in the tube. This was after a couple of flats, but the shard was small enough that the flats were spaced by 20-30 miles of riding.

Very frustrating when you get in a rut like that and makes you appreciate the times when you go 1000s of miles w/out an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll give it a try. Hopefully it is an exception. If you haven't heard of this before, that sounds like that may be the case. I'll pm you.

Quote Reply
Re: Bad luck with flats on a Flo 90 [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't say it was the wheel. I was trying to diagnose an issue that I couldn't figure out. It has become clear that it was the extender and I ruled out the others as flukes. But the loss of air over a day has been an issue from day one. I have since figured that it was not enough air getting in in the first place because the pump head couldn't create a seal with the extender. He says this is a pretty new issue so he will send more. Hopefully it will work. If it doesn't, I'll just switch to the Zipp or Enve extenders which have not had this issue.

The wheels have been awesome and I'm glad to see that it is a valve extender issue.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't say it was the wheel.

The title of your thread certainly gives the impression that it is a problem with that particular wheel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
I didn't say it was the wheel.

The title of your thread certainly gives the impression that it is a problem with that particular wheel.

Did you read the whole thread. I said I was having bad luck and asked for help or if other people had similar issues. Two people did and we were able to diagnose it wasn't the wheel but the extenders that came with the wheel. At the beginning it could have absolutely been the wheel. I/we didn't know.

Are you suggesting now that we know the cause i change the title? Because that is what your logic suggest ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your thread would be more helpful to people who might be having similar issues if it more accurately reflected your problem.

ETA: A person shouldn't have to read an entire thread to discover what it is about.
Last edited by: kdw: Dec 18, 15 8:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem has been identified, people seems to be able to figure it out. sorry it didn't meet your standards. But it has been resolved satisfactorily. Thanks for playing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
With that said, I have a couple spare zipp extenders where you take the core from the tube and put it in the extender. In fact, they are in my crash kit. I never had an issue with those, so I'll stick to those after I'm done with these tubes and only buy tubes with removable cores. Why so many do not, I do not know.

This is essentially what I did with my Flo 90. I couldn't get them to seal to save my life, even using multiple tubes (and Teflon tape to ensure a seal). I eventually just said forget it, and got removable core tubes and the appropriate Silica extenders.
Quote Reply

Prev Next