Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

30 days out of Shoulder surgery - IM training help?
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone. Been a while since I've posted/written and since I've raced. So here I am looking for some training advice and maybe something here helps someone else in the same boat at some point.

I am now 30 days out of Shoulder surgery....specifically an open Latarjet Procedure. (in short - bone graph to front of shoulder socket to block shoulder from chronic dislocations. Fix of bony bankhart and some small superior labral tears). This was my second open surgery to this shoulder, and as such, we are treating it carefully these first few months.

HOWEVER, I am planning on completing IMLP this year. It's a hope and prayer, but my Dr. and I believe it possible. So here's what I can do: I can walk, and hopefully in a couple more weeks, I can possibly run, very slow. I can sit on a recumbent, and a stationary, albeit upright without any weight on my shoulders. Where I am lacking, is in the water, and this may be the case for quite some time. SO, what can I do in the water to help with my training? Kickboard with one arm holding and the other in a sling? Flippers?

Physically here I am....I wasn't allowed to do any running/biking/swimming for a good two months prior to surgery due to my chronic dislocations. So I've been out of training for a good 3-4 months. Prior to that, my training was pretty weak/light. I don't need any naysayers on how I "shouldn't" try to complete IMLP as I am not willing to give up that idea, until maybe the week before. My history - I have several marathons/IM's/HIM's, etc under my belt. I usually build cardio well and recover well. I am just looking for some training ideas in and out of the water until I get the ok to start running/stationary-biking/light swimming.

Since two days after surgery I have been walking. I am walking at least an hour a day, six days a week. My average distance is 3-5 miles when I walk and I walked 13.1 a week ago (4hr 1min). I am averaging about 7-8hrs walking (3-3.5mph at 3-7% incline) a week and throwing in an hour or two on the recumbent bike (that seat kills the arse). I am doing some lunges, and just recently am out of my sling for most of the day without soreness/pain, so maybe I can start on some bodyweight squats or even some abs.

So any idea on some swim training, keeping in mind my arm will probably have to be in a sling. Or ideas on my other cardio training?
Quote Reply
Re: 30 days out of Shoulder surgery - IM training help? [WannabSpeedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok - since you have no other replies.
Rotator cuff surgery Sept 2005, also mknor big toe surgery.
Ironman Lake Placid july 2006.
I biked on a trainer -can do this almost straight away.
Return to run was more limited by toe. Did not run otside until January.
Went to pool beginning to end November -can't quit remeber exactly.
Pool ran, did kicking drills, underarm recovery drills (when physio siad I could), breaststroke.
Did not swim much freestye until end of March.
Swim was within a cople of mknutes of what I probably could have done prior to surgery.
Definately think hou have enough gime to do Lp.
Hopr this helps
Quote Reply