Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear Cassette Recommendations for IM Raleigh
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

I am looking for some guidance from those who may have raced IM Raleigh multipole times before. Would you recommend an 11-28 or will an 11-25 be just fine. I do not have compact cranks. Front chain-ring is a 53/39.

-Thanks,
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Cassette Recommendations for IM Raleigh [mcollins0605] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you are a decent rider you will be absolutely fine with 11-25. Hills towards end are rolling and nothing too extreme in distance or grade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the type of cyclist you are, but I have run an 11-25 in 2014 and an 11-23 this year with a standard 53/39. The first 35 miles is pretty much flat to downhill besides the first climb out of the park, then you get some rollers in the last 15-20 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For racing, do you need an 11? If you're going over 30mph (50kph), unless you are a pro, you might as well as tuck and save your energy.
I'd rather have an extra middle range sprocket. So, I'd argue that you should have an 12-2x.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All,

Thank you for your replies. For me it sounds like an 11-28 may not be necessary. I've gotten by Timberman in with a 12-25 and Im in my better condition now than when I last raced timberman in '14.

Now I may contemplate the 11-23, but I would have to see how I like this setup in training in the spring. That cassette i really only have reserved for 'flat courses' Regarding the post about a 12-2x.....While i do like more options in a a more usable cog...I do like that 11 for going down hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to like that 11, too, but I found by tucking, I was as fast (or nearly as fast) as the guys pedaling in aero, but my legs were fresh at the bottom.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran an 11-25 last year, but I don't think I even left the big ring (53/39). It's rolling hills, but no major climbs to worry about.