Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit recommendations?
Quote | Reply
I have done a few Ironmans in teams (my fastest time was a 4:30 bike followed by 3:20 run (other person swam)) so hope to be fairly competitive in age group once I put it all together, but as I haven't swum in a few years (got to club level before I started racing bikes instead), I find all the information on wetsuits to be slightly overwhelming...

I see a lot of people saying just to get a basic entry level wetsuit but feel more obliged towards a high level suit. Does anyone have recommendations on brands to go for/ stay clear of?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations? [jpwiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced in an Xterra Vortex 3 for years. It's worn out and I'm going to try the Roka Maverick Pro next year

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recommendation is to only buy from places that will let you do a trial swim and exchange or return if you don't like it, because fit is so crucial. That narrows it down to Roka, DeSoto, Xterra, and I believe TriSports (where you have various options). Personally, the Rokas are the best-swimming suits I've tried by a long shot, and I've tried a lot of suits. Plus their customer service is ridiculously good. And they're on 40 percent off sale right now. So I'd lean that way, and I think their Elite suit is the value point in the line. But plenty of folks love DeSoto (also great customer service) and other brands have their fans, too. Xterra's primary virtue is that they're cheap and decent, and their customer service is also very good, but their perma-sale marketing irks me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 For Roka. Best fit and buoyancy profile I've found. I've swam in a couple different Aquamans, Zone 3, and Orca.

I always tell people that the more they've swam, the more a bad suit will annoy them. It's the curse of being a "pool swimmer". The water feel you've developed will be shot if a suit doesn't move with you. I'd say spend the extra money here and be excited to put on your suit.

-Eric

Eric Lagerstrom
Professional Triathlete
https://www.youtube.com/c/ericlagerstrom
http://www.ericlagerstrom.com
https://www.instagram.com/eric_lagerstrom/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to go wrong with the flexibility of mixing and matching with the 2 piece DeSoto suits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jpwiki wrote:
I have done a few Ironmans in teams (my fastest time was a 4:30 bike followed by 3:20 run (other person swam)) so hope to be fairly competitive in age group once I put it all together, but as I haven't swum in a few years (got to club level before I started racing bikes instead), I find all the information on wetsuits to be slightly overwhelming...

I see a lot of people saying just to get a basic entry level wetsuit but feel more obliged towards a high level suit. Does anyone have recommendations on brands to go for/ stay clear of?

I'm nowhere near as quick as you, but I started off with a Blue Seventy Reaction. I just had my first swim in my new Orca Predator and the difference was unbelievable. I barely felt like I had a suit on. No restriction of movement at all (compared to my old suit). It's also a lot easier to get on and off. Definitely recommend giving it a look.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations? [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:
Hard to go wrong with the flexibility of mixing and matching with the 2 piece DeSoto suits.

X2

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:Hard to go wrong with the flexibility of mixing and matching with the 2 piece DeSoto suits.
---------------------------
X3

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
De soto has a monster sale today where u buy a black pearl bibjohn and get the top piece free. Total about $270 for the wetsuit.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations? [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:

Add in my vote for De Soto!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://goo.gl/3fozIk

click on this link. you can get a $500 T1 Black Pearl for $270. Today only. Faster than ROKA without any gimmicks.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Last edited by: Emilio: Nov 28, 15 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations? [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
http://goo.gl/3fozIk

click on this link. you van get a $500 T1 Black Pearl for $270. Today only. Faster than ROKA without any gimmicks.

Wow, that's a steal of a deal!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huub or Roka. Roka has some great deals right now and EXCELLENT customer service.

Huub Archimedes on sale at all3sports for 35% off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Orca Alpha series. I have the 2014 model which has 1.5mm sleeves and that worked really well. I just ordered the 2015 model which has the .88mm sleeves and really excited to try it out. Found it on wiggle for cheap and they also have a $60 off coupon right now for blackfriday.

The .88mm sleeves are awesome because you have more flexibility and freedom of movement, as well as less arm fatigue in a long swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swam 3 years in orca sonar, which I really liked and will keep for training. Bought the roka Maverick pro on sale and it is crazy comfortable and the buoyancy of the legs is exactly what I need. Guess the elite would be enough but it was already sold out when I was in need.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations? [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a Synergy Hybrid and Love it. Extremely flexible shoulders and good buoyancy in the front pannel.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations? [JeffGnola] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question for anyone willing to answer. How long do you folks keep/use one wetsuit? And then what makes you upgrade?

My 1st upgrade was based on enough weight loss that the old one just didn't fit any more. There's a piece of me that feels my swimming isn't good enough to warrant a new suit, but then I suppose my 'technique' might benefit from a better suit?

Any thoughts?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orca sonar, 3 years with 5 month a year of using at least twice a week.
Having minor cuts here and there and the surface around the shoulders are became kinda rough. Still useable.
The better the suit the better the flexibility in the shoulder I found with a bunch trying.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit recommendations? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I found when I upgraded my suit to the Orca Predator was that I didn't have to make nearly as many concessions in my stroke - I have the flexibility to keep things pretty much the same now in open water (waves, etc. allowing) as it is in the pool. It was a very different story in the Blue Seventy. As my stroke has improved, I hope to see the benefits more in events as a results that improvement and the fact that the suit lets me exploit it.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply