Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit Research - Please help!
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone!

I am a student from the Amsterdam Fashion Institute and this semester we are doing a project in collaboration with HUUB Design. We are doing a research on wetsuits among triathletes. We are looking for people who can help us. We only need 5 minutes of your time to answer these questionsEmotikon smile

TRIATHLON QUESTIONNAIRE
Have you ever used Huub wetsuit?

If yes, what are your thoughts on the fit/mobility/design/ease of putting it on and taking off?

Are there any improvements that could be made in the future?

How do you feel about the extra buoyancy in the legs?

Are there any features in other wetsuits brands that are missing in the Huub wetsuit?

If not, what features do you like in the wetsuit you are currently using and why? What could be improved? What is the brand and model of the wetsuit you are using?

Is there any special way in which you prepare yourself for the triathlon (right before race) and is there any special aftercare? Could you think of any clothing/accessories complimentary to the wetsuit?

Do you wear anything underneath the wetsuits?

What do you like to wear during running and cycling?

Do you use any accessories?
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Research - Please help! [NatalieM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NatalieM wrote:
Hi everyone!

I am a student from the Amsterdam Fashion Institute and this semester we are doing a project in collaboration with HUUB Design. We are doing a research on wetsuits among triathletes. We are looking for people who can help us. We only need 5 minutes of your time to answer these questionsEmotikon smile

TRIATHLON QUESTIONNAIRE
Yes, I currently wear an Archimedes 3:5 (first gen)

If yes, what are your thoughts on the fit/mobility/design/ease of putting it on and taking off?
Aesthetically, I think that the design is spot on, I prefer it to the Archimedes 2 visually. I love the level of mobility in the upper body, although I find the neoprene in the neck/shoulder area to be a little to fragile to really be at ease with when pulling on/off. The fit is good, although I have relatively big quads and glutes so find that getting the waist section high enough can take a short while.

I would like for the upper body neoprene to be more tear resistant, and I think that the calf release areas could be a little bigger.

Love it. I have long heavy cyclist's legs!

Are there any features in other wetsuits brands that are missing in the Huub wetsuit?
None spring to mind

If not, what features do you like in the wetsuit you are currently using and why? What could be improved? What is the brand and model of the wetsuit you are using?
I like the overall buoyancy profile of the suit, I like the freedom of movement across the shoulders. I like the calf release panels for ease of removal.

Is there any special way in which you prepare yourself for the triathlon (right before race) and is there any special aftercare? Could you think of any clothing/accessories complimentary to the wetsuit?
Nothing special that is specific to the wetsuit. I always rinse the wetsuit in the shower after a swim or race though.
Regarding accessories, a waterproof pouch that can be unrolled within the net bag to put the suit in after training swims would mean that I could just take the included branded bag down to my club for OW swims rather than a bin liner and a backpack.

Just my trisuit, or sometimes just a pair of lycra shorts in training

In training:
Cycling - bib shorts and a short sleeve jersey. Arm warmers and/or a waterproof jacket depending on weather.
Running - t shirt and shorts. Long sleeve base layer and waterproof jacket depending on weather.

Racing:
One piece tri suit for both

Yes, lots. Can you be a little more specific please?
Last edited by: Liaman: Oct 5, 15 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

1. Yes, I wear an Archimedes 3:5

2. It goes on easy and comes off fairly easy, it is the most flexible suit I've ever owned.

3. The way that the legs are formed...if you cut off more than 3 inches from the legs, the leg openings will be too big to stay down over your calf.

4. I didn't notice any extra buoyancy in the legs as compared to other suits.

5. None that I need

6. NA

7. Just body glide on my calves

8. Normal tri attire

9. Racing...Kiwami Tri suit, Training...Just about anything

10. Body glide
Last edited by: jaretj: Oct 5, 15 8:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NatalieM wrote:
Hi everyone!

TRIATHLON QUESTIONNAIRE
Yes, I demoed an Archimedes 3:5

Fit was fine for me. I wasn't too keen on the bicep panels: they felt weird. I couldn't zip the suit up on my own but then again I never can on any suit. Taking it off seemed about the same as other suits I've worn in the past.

I think it's worth researching if the rear zip is genuinely faster than a rear zip suit. If there's no difference in speed, a front zip would be more convenient IMO. Also, I've always thought it would be worth placing a patch of 5mm aerodome along the tricep to aid with a high elbow catch. Maybe you could just glue ~3mm of aerodome into the existing sleeves to experiment.

I like it. It helps me a lot.

Personally I think Roka has nailed wetsuit design. No offense. To me it's noticeably easier to rotate in my Maverick Elite than any other suit I've worn.

See the above response

I always lube the legs of my wetsuit to make it easier to take off in transition. Personally, I think it would be interesting to design a "hybrid" wetsuit/speed suit that could be worn in "warmer" wetsuit legal races. The idea would be that you'd use a swim-skin like hydrophobic material that's also breathable (similar to what kiwami uses) and integrate neoprene into strategic areas of the suit (back of the legs, lower portion of the torso). This would provide some of the buoyancy and drag reduction of a wet suit but you could just wear it straight onto the bike and run. This would save a bit of time in transition (not much) but there's a chance the suit could be designed in such a way that covering the legs conferred enough of an aerodynamic benefit on the bike to offset any losses during the swim. It's not a perfect concept by any stretch but worth investigating IMO. Edit: also note that by putting neoprene on the backside of the legs strategically you could effectively alter the shape of the legs possibly making them a touch more aerodynamic.

My trisuit

My trisuit

Watch and gels. An interesting idea would be to maybe integrate a garmin quick release into one of the wetsuit cuffs.

Good luck, feel free to ask more questions if you like :)
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Oct 5, 15 9:18
Quote Reply