Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does a handheld Garmin 500 not work for running?
Quote | Reply
I did a local 3+mile run yesterday holding it in my hand, and the second half of the run was transposed to the south by about 100yds.

Does it get confused while running?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Does a handheld Garmin 500 not work for running? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Edge 500 is for cycling, but I'm sure it could track your gps, hr and time if you choose to run with it.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it. I will work to record run. Just make sure its not on auto pause.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a total shot in the dark about why a cycling specific GPS head unit might not "like" running.

When you cycle, the head unit moves at a (mostly) consistent speed in whatever direction you're cycling in.
A running watch oscillates backwards and forwards relative to the average speed of the person running (arm swinging).

Maybe there is an algorithm built in to devices intended to be ran with that smooths out this oscillation?
Maybe a cycling computer can't make sense of the oscillation?

Again - Total guess. I could be completely off base regarding how the software works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ran with mine with no problems.

I've also ran with my 810.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used mine several times in a pinch when I forgot my running watch. Best to keep the autopause off but it will work. Never had issues with mileage, matched similar runs with my 910.

"Before you make it to the finish, You have to make it to the start."
Quote Reply
Re: Does a handheld Garmin 500 not work for running? [madtown ironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
madtown ironman wrote:
I have used mine several times in a pinch when I forgot my running watch. Best to keep the autopause off but it will work. Never had issues with mileage, matched similar runs with my 910.

Same. I have done it a few times in emergency circumstances and it has worked just fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Does a handheld Garmin 500 not work for running? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.strava.com/activities/406451812

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
madtown ironman wrote:

Same. I have done it a few times in emergency circumstances and it has worked just fine.

It's such a triathlete thing to say: "I had an emergency because I forgot my running GPS, so I had to use my cycling GPS".

I'm not judging, I'm pretty much the same.
I just think that it sums us triathletes up quite well.
Quote Reply
Re: Does a handheld Garmin 500 not work for running? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
noofus wrote:
madtown ironman wrote:

It's such a triathlete thing to say: "I had an emergency because I forgot my running GPS, so I had to use my cycling GPS".

I'm not judging, I'm pretty much the same.
I just think that it sums us triathletes up quite well.

Lol yea. My "emergency" that day was my 210 was not charged for my transition run! Oh the horror!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here. I've used my 500 for a transition run although it tends to give me a shorter distance than my Forerunner 210. Since I'm slow anyway, I hate to use the 500 for a run...it makes me look even slower.
Quote Reply
Re: Does a handheld Garmin 500 not work for running? [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put in in my back pocket in an Olympic Distance once so I could capture the run but not have to wear a watch, then just trim out the irrelevant data from he file for each leg. Worked pretty well overall.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you set it up correctly, it will give you separate left and right leg running power numbers. It's the industry's hidden little secret.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it doesn't work as well if its not facing the sky like it would be on your stem.

I tried it once in a back pocket and the track was all over the place as I ran.

It's faultless when its on the bike.

My iphone tracks perfectly when its in my back pocket. Go figure.
Quote Reply
Re: Does a handheld Garmin 500 not work for running? [cougie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cougie wrote:
I think it doesn't work as well if its not facing the sky like it would be on your stem.

I tried it once in a back pocket and the track was all over the place as I ran.

It's faultless when its on the bike.

My iphone tracks perfectly when its in my back pocket. Go figure.

That occurred to me on today's run. On my next run, I'll strap it to the top of my head.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If its raining - you could just put it under a swimcap - it'd keep still, you'd get good gps, and stay dry.

It's a winning combination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do cycling GPS computers utilize path-finding? Is that something that may be different?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used it for my run at a 70.3 in 2013. The original file looked funny as it loaded as a bike, but when I switched it to run in Strava it was pretty accurate. All I remember is I kept dropping it at aid stations and was really pissed my 310xt was full of water and dead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use mine hiking all the time. Generally no issues. On some occasions it suffers when in thick woods or steep slopes that may obstruct GPS signals, but it's rare.
Quote Reply