Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Maryland
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be a little optimistic here. I understand we won't have the final verdict until tomorrow if this race will happen or not. My question is we've now been tapering longer than "normal". I did a 100 mile bike mid Sept but that was my last long workout. Last week I hit the gym for no more than 45 min-an hour. What are others doing for workout's? I've heard it takes about 2-3 weeks to lose your base.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland [lem1083] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I repeated my last 2 weeks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week:
Wen: heard race was cxl/re-scheuled, had just finished massage and picked up bike from getting brakes re-cabled. Went home and eat a lot of chocolate and had a coffee and unpacked my race gear.
Thur: Biked 1.5 hrs on trainer 1/2IM race pace watts then ran 20 miles at med pace. Goal was to push my kick my body out of taper mode and push chronic training levels back up.
Fri: swam 2k easy and easy bike 1 hr trainer.
Sat: Bike 105 miles zone 1-2 and ran 5 miles race pace off the bike
Sun: biked 25 miles easy and swam 2k easy.
Today: supposed to swim 5k and run 5miles, but finding no motivation.

This week will start 2 week taper all over again. Had really been looking forward to eating burgers and drinking beers this week :-(
Posting and reading threads on ST is all thats keeping me sane at the moment, ST has been like therapy for me the past week.
Wondering what turnout will be if race is held in 2 weeks.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Last week:
Wen: heard race was cxl/re-scheuled, had just finished massage and picked up bike from getting brakes re-cabled. Went home and eat a lot of chocolate and had a coffee and unpacked my race gear.
Thur: Biked 1.5 hrs on trainer 1/2IM race pace watts then ran 20 miles at med pace. Goal was to push my kick my body out of taper mode and push chronic training levels back up.
Fri: swam 2k easy and easy bike 1 hr trainer.
Sat: Bike 105 miles zone 1-2 and ran 5 miles race pace off the bike
Sun: biked 25 miles easy and swam 2k easy.
Today: supposed to swim 5k and run 5miles, but finding no motivation.

This week will start 2 week taper all over again. Had really been looking forward to eating burgers and drinking beers this week :-(
Posting and reading threads on ST is all thats keeping me sane at the moment, ST has been like therapy for me the past week.
Wondering what turnout will be if race is held in 2 weeks.

never in my years of triathlons have i ever given up burgers and beers. you sir, are better than i.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol, well after reading through Rob Grays race reports i decided that i could eat super healthy during a 2 week taper as well! But now that 2 weeks has turned into 4 weeks! Might break down and have like a beer this week, plenty of beers and time to get fat after race.

I am interested to see how others handled this extended taper, being in uncharted territory not sure if what we did was correct or not? Guess will find out in 12 days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am interested in this too. I was totally unmotivated this weekend to do anything 'big' though I know alot of folks managed that (kudos). I did a frustration threshold bike workout when I found out the race was canceled, took a day off, then over the weekend I pulled off a 50 mile bike and an hour run but now feel pretty guilty (though the sessions were high quality). I figure I will just repeat my taper weeks unless there is something better to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
lol, well after reading through Rob Grays race reports i decided that i could eat super healthy during a 2 week taper as well! But now that 2 weeks has turned into 4 weeks! Might break down and have like a beer this week, plenty of beers and time to get fat after race.

I am interested to see how others handled this extended taper, being in uncharted territory not sure if what we did was correct or not? Guess will find out in 12 days.

after being in my car for 11 hours wednesday i got home and did 90 mins on the trainer, nice easy pace.

thursday i did hour bike, followed by hour run.

friday 35 min swim

sat 40 min ows, sat evening 90 mins on trainer

sunday was 70 miles followed by hour run.

today repeat 2 week taper.

i also ate a bunch and had 1-2 beers/drinks each day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:

never in my years of triathlons have i ever given up burgers and beers. you sir, are better than i.

This. The reason I do this shit in the first place is so I can consume burgers and beer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:

For starters, I had a burger and onion rings the night I heard it was cancelled/postponed.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am dreaming of onion rings! i have a feeling that at like mile 22 of the run i am going to get tunnel vision and just see a large onion ring in front of me but i won't be able to catch it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
i am dreaming of onion rings! i have a feeling that at like mile 22 of the run i am going to get tunnel vision and just see a large onion ring in front of me but i won't be able to catch it.

at IMWI i put 2 slices of frozen leftover pizza in my special needs bag. if i had a dollar for every time i heard how smart i was that day. granted, that was when i was middle MOP. now that i'm at the front of the MOP i don't stop for special needs. lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wait wait, am i getting this right....you put down 2 slices of pizza half way through the run! Thats awesome!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, the bike.

though i'm fully capable of eating during the run if i wanted to. for some weird reason, real food sits well in my guts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lem1083 wrote:
I'm going to be a little optimistic here. I understand we won't have the final verdict until tomorrow if this race will happen or not. My question is we've now been tapering longer than "normal". I did a 100 mile bike mid Sept but that was my last long workout. Last week I hit the gym for no more than 45 min-an hour. What are others doing for workout's? I've heard it takes about 2-3 weeks to lose your base.

Base is bullshit. All fitness is "base". Now that we've gotten that out of the way...

I hope you're not taking this week at taper volume. Most AGers in this situation should have taken this week to bump volume back up with a couple long rides in the 2-3 hour range, a couple swim sessions around 60-75 minutes, and a couple runs in the 60-90 minute range, then perform a 7-10 day taper from this weekend until the 17th. The objective is to extend your peak, and arrive on the rescheduled race date as close to the level of fitness and freshness as you would have had on 10/3 as possible. When you're tapering, you're losing fitness. By doing about a week of higher volume again, it helps maintain your fitness, but it accumulates some fatigue too. It's not as much fatigue as you should have been carrying before your original taper, so you don't need a long taper again. Just plodding along for an extra 2 weeks of taper just causes you to lose fitness.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Last edited by: TriMyBest: Oct 5, 15 13:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AND WERE BACK....Taking place OCTOBER 17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The announcement is on Facebook. Packet pickup Thursday and Friday with late bike check-in Friday. Details to follow, including info for those who can't make it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
The announcement is on Facebook. Packet pickup Thursday and Friday with late bike check-in Friday. Details to follow, including info for those who can't make it.

Holy shit I can't believe they pulled it off... I better find a place to ride a bike.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply