Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I run in Brooks pureconnect -- what (cheaper alternative) would I like for tempo/intervals?
Quote | Reply
I'm getting ready for some new shoes. Tried Mizunos a while back and they seemed way too firm and left my young knees and calves aching. I prefer a lower drop shoe, something "spongy" I suppose, and I race in the Brooks T7 racer. I would wear that shoe for training, but it seems like the durability just isn't there.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: I run in Brooks pureconnect -- what (cheaper alternative) would I like for tempo/intervals? [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pureflow?
Similar shape to the connects, same drop, little heavier, little squishier, last longer (about the same price, so cheaper as in $/mile)

They are my go-to shoe for >10k with the pure drift for shorter races.
Quote Reply
Re: I run in Brooks pureconnect -- what (cheaper alternative) would I like for tempo/intervals? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used both shoes simultaneously for 2.5 years. The more padded one for long stuff, the lighter one for tempo work. It was fantastic until they stopped going on sale. I can't afford shelling out 120 on shoes that are going to get destroyed in a matter of months.

Quote Reply
Re: I run in Brooks pureconnect -- what (cheaper alternative) would I like for tempo/intervals? [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved the brooks green silence. Been using Mizuno Mushas

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brooks Launch 2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the old versions. They don't change much. You can get the 3's for $60.
Quote Reply
Re: I run in Brooks pureconnect -- what (cheaper alternative) would I like for tempo/intervals? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From brooks or just around the internet?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Altra TheOne2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I run in the support version of that shoe - the Purecadence. And I also enjoy the Adidas equivalent lowish-drop-lightweightish-trainer-racer-with-a-bit-of-cushioning, which is the Adidas Adizero tempo. So I'm thinking that you might like the Adizero Boston - BUT it isn't as flat as the Brooks Pure stuff I don't think., but the newer version has the Boost outsole which is nice.
Last edited by: knighty76: Oct 5, 15 2:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use PureConnect and Kinvaras.

When I made to switch to PureConnect, coming from Altra The One (while I loved my Altras, the fit was problematic as I could wear anything from 10.5 to 12 within the same model, same version. That made ordering online impossible), I tried a few different things (Type A, Skechers, etc.) and the only other shoe I though had a decent fit for me was the Pearl Izumi. This is a few months back, so I'm not 100% certain what was the Pearl Izumi model, but I think it was N1.

Skechers could be a good choice, and dedicated Skechers stores often have very good sales.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the Saucony Virrata? They have a 0 heel-toe drop and have a decent amount of cushioning. The toe box is pretty wide as well.
Quote Reply
Re: I run in Brooks pureconnect -- what (cheaper alternative) would I like for tempo/intervals? [BrandonS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had Sauconys once before and they wore out about as fast as a pair of socks. lol. Maybe I should try to give them another shot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Virratas will wear out fast. The soles are foam with no rubber coating.
Quote Reply
Re: I run in Brooks pureconnect -- what (cheaper alternative) would I like for tempo/intervals? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But I'd have to wear Sketchers...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a bad thing because...?

I'm sure every brand is regarded as lame by at least one other runner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from Brooks Connect and T7 to Pearl Izumi Tri N1 and Road N0. The Tri Ni is fine durable shoe, and seems to hold up well under heavy mileage. The Road N0 , I have fallen in love with over the T7. I wear 10.5 and weighed both pairs, they were the same weight and same drop I believe or very similar, but the Road N0 has more sole/cushioning. I never raced beyond 10K in the T7 but would race beyond 10K in the Road N0 without question.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: I run in Brooks pureconnect -- what (cheaper alternative) would I like for tempo/intervals? [BrandonS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Virrata and Virrata 2 were hands down some of my favorite shoes but they're discontinued now :(
Quote Reply