Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FTP relation to NP
Quote | Reply
I am curious and have tried to find a reference regarding the relationship of the NP of a 1 hour plus solo ride to ones FTP. Intuitively it would seem that if you did a hard effort solo ride that was greater than or equal to an hour then your NP for that ride should be similar to your current FTP? Or put another way your FTP should be equal to or greater than the NP for a one hour plus solo effort.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP relation to NP [s5100e] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: FTP relation to NP [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks that seems to answer it for me.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP relation to NP [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is great Andrew. Thanks for sharing. Read through Training and racing w power a few times now. Reading deeper each time. Have 20 min max based on field testing and establish FTP (282) and zones off of that.

After my session today though it had me questioning the accuracy of my zones

2 hours bike on trainer with 3x30 minutes with 5 min RI at 262, 275, 282. I planned to do all at 260 but during first effort my heart rate and perceived exertion were all lower than I wanted. All average power. The effort at 282 had my heart rate mid zone 3 by 20 minute mark. (also establish through field testing)

I had estimated my FTP to be 282 based on a ride where I had max 297 for 20 minutes. Any advice on how to go about estimated from adjustments from a ride like such? I'm thinking 282 is a little low after ride today.

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Last edited by: T.Skelton: Oct 4, 15 18:39
Quote Reply
Re: FTP relation to NP [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T.Skelton wrote:
I'm thinking 282 is a little low after ride today.

Seems like it's in the right ballpark to me given the limited information. (I'm not claiming to be an authority on the expert - just providing opinion). You can retest to confirm/refute your suspicion.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP relation to NP [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate it. Obviously a new field test would be more accurate but trying to avoid having to go that route / intensity for the moment.

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Re: FTP relation to NP [T.Skelton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're only training at lower intensity the variation in FTP is unlikely to have a big impact in your training. Let's say you're training a lot at 50-75% of FTP. If your FTP is 10w higher than what your test suggests, your zones would only move 5w up on the low end and 7.5w on the high end. Not enough to have a huge impact on your training in that case. I would recommend sticking to one protocol to track/estimate your FTP otherwise you start second guessing the numbers all the time
Quote Reply
Re: FTP relation to NP [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say a lot of bikes average around 75-85% FTP right now closing in on a race

Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply