Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
USPro Tri wrote:
Agreed… I feel that the whole point of being a top tier pro triathlete is to make as much money as possible doing something that you love. I always got the impression that Tim basically put himself through hell, but got two Kona titles, and for some reason sounds a little bitter. Whereas Andy seems to truly enjoy his life and career, while making what I assume is a whole lot more money. No offense to either but I'd take Andy's results/life/earnings over Tim's any day

Sounds like Tim won Kona but at the cost of everything else in his life, which doesn't sound like a good trade off to me

Any other pyrrhic Kona victors? Pete Jacobs?

The win in Kona did seem to be a kiss of death for PJ sadly. Bizarre how quickly he fell off - but I think he's alluded to seem fatigue issues...

But back to the main argument. I don't think we can deningrate TD for his wins. He was the best person on those days and there was no shortage of world class athletes; almost by definition. With the advancements in skinsuits/wind tunnels/bike designs etc etc it would be strange if his times weren't slower than today.

Speaking of which, weather permitting I think Stadler's bike record may fall this year. C'mon Sebi!
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with TdB. The best racers in the world at the moment are European, and if the Americans want to beat them at Kona, they need to be racing and beating them on their home turf in the big European and championship races, to see what it takes.

The fact that US pos don't want to do that for financial and family reasons, only shows that they don't have the same racing mindset and determination. They're comfortable doing their American races, not racing the best, and don't want to venture out their comfort zone to compete aginst the leaders of the sport. That's fine, but its not going to win you the big one....

Compare that to Kienle and what he says in his iterview with Bob Babbit - what motivates him is racing and beating the best (Frodeno, van Lierde etc). And he wants to beat them without them having mechnicals, off days etc. Kienle, Frodeno, van Lierde, etc are racing each other a few times a year and know what it takes to beat each other. They are IMO pushing each other ahead and the US pros are getting left behind...
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait...didn't the US finish 2d and 4th at last year's Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobike wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree. Race the best to be able to race the best. The only way to get into the mind and learn the tendencies of your competition is to go head to head. Otherwise, one's just guessing.

SAvan wrote:
I agree with TdB. The best racers in the world at the moment are European, and if the Americans want to beat them at Kona, they need to be racing and beating them on their home turf in the big European and championship races, to see what it takes.

The fact that US pos don't want to do that for financial and family reasons, only shows that they don't have the same racing mindset and determination. They're comfortable doing their American races, not racing the best, and don't want to venture out their comfort zone to compete aginst the leaders of the sport. That's fine, but its not going to win you the big one....

Compare that to Kienle and what he says in his iterview with Bob Babbit - what motivates him is racing and beating the best (Frodeno, van Lierde etc). And he wants to beat them without them having mechnicals, off days etc. Kienle, Frodeno, van Lierde, etc are racing each other a few times a year and know what it takes to beat each other. They are IMO pushing each other ahead and the US pros are getting left behind...
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, they had good races last year and finished high up, but you often get that at Kona as the top contenders all go flat out til they blow (all or nothing for Kona), opening the door for a few "lesser known" pros to finish high up. Just like Luke McKenzie and James Cunnama in 2013...

But when you hear Sebi talk about who he's worried about, it's not Hoff and Potts - it's Frodeno, van Lierde, Frommhold... that in itself says something. (And those guys won IM Championship races and Roth this year, the biggest races on the calendar with deep fields...)

I'm not writing the US Pro's off completely - anything can happen at Kona...!
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
aerobike wrote:

At least one of the guys you're discussing understands that.

Last edited by: oprfcc: Oct 6, 15 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
Sure, they had good races last year and finished high up, but you often get that at Kona as the top contenders all go flat out til they blow (all or nothing for Kona), opening the door for a few "lesser known" pros to finish high up. Just like Luke McKenzie and James Cunnama in 2013...

But when you hear Sebi talk about who he's worried about, it's not Hoff and Potts - it's Frodeno, van Lierde, Frommhold... that in itself says something. (And those guys won IM Championship races and Roth this year, the biggest races on the calendar with deep fields...)

I'm not writing the US Pro's off completely - anything can happen at Kona...!

Sure - the German talks about other German's. Makes sense and probably helps them all with their sponsorships in Germany.

Potts is not "lesser know". He's probably one of the most known current racing triathletes. Olympian, Previous 70.3 World Champion, multiple other wins. At least 3 top 10's in Kona and a top 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Tim DeBoom on americans winning Kona....great points! [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well its not just Sebastian talking up the Germans and Belgians!
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...view_-_Men_5395.html

Sure Potts is well known, wins races, and gets top 5/10s at Kona usually being the top US Pro. And that's the point of this thread - what does he need to do WIN Kona...?
Quote Reply

Prev Next