Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Flat marathon in Feb / March ? Recomendation.... [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thumbs up for Myrtle Beach - flat, fast and cool temps. I got my second BQ time there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Little Rock marathon March 6. BQ'er.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at findmymarathon.com. It will give you all the info you need on the different marathons around the country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Albany marathon in GA I've heard is really BQ friendly. If I don't qualify in Jan in Jax I plan on running Albany in March
Last edited by: rjrankin: Oct 1, 15 7:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talahassee, Fl. Early Feb. I got a BQ doing my first ever marathon. It was fast, flat and unusually cool the year I did it in 2011. I think they changed or are changing the course for 2016.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat marathon in Feb / March ? Recomendation.... [jgrissom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jgrissom wrote:
I'm going to throw 3 options at you...all slightly different.

If you want flat.....Breast Cancer Marathon in Jacksonville FL..... Only one overpass to go over, flat along the beach. In fact you'll run on the very hard packed sand for a few hundred yards to break it up. Race mid February. Done this race a few times before. Obviously a great cause....

Rock N Roll New Orleans...roads not great, but super flat, and who doesn't need a reason to go to N.O.

And one of the best BQ is the Albany Marathon in Albany GA...certainly not the draw of Jax or N.O., but reportedly 20% of finishers qualify, so super fast..

Hope this helps...

Jerry

I wouldn't offer Jacksonville as a [very] fast race. The run on the beach (in 2010, maybe it's changed) was 2.3 miles, and I definitely noticed it. Same pace, but noticeably higher effort (HR was 3-4 bpm higher). It also got pretty warm. Race start was ~40 F, but it was high 60's by the finish. The other challenge was that the half marathon shared the same course for the last 5+ miles, and the walkers from the half were all 3-4-5 a breast, forcing the marathon runners to weave in and out. That was just annoying.

Myrtle Beach is flatter, lower temps (although they moved it from Feb to Mar) and no beach running. Albany GA also a good alternative.
Quote Reply
Re: Flat marathon in Feb / March ? Recomendation.... [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
LA is not flat and is a pretty tough course to BQ on. If you don't mind a slightly earlier race in the same area (roughly) - Surf City is a much easier race to BQ on, and it's pretty flat.

+1 to both of these points. Surf City also has a very nice schwag package and distinctive finisher items, if either are of interest. Have not done the full there, but have raced the half a number of times, including a 1/2M PR result.

LA marathon is not flat, more like rolling for the first half with one or two short steep hills and then the last 4-5 miles are less rolling and net downhill .. as others have mentioned here, it is pretty crowded/congested at the start -- narrow exit from the Dodgers' Stadium area and pretty twisty/turns through and around downtown until the mid-city area (VA Hosp); it's straight after that on San Vincente, but still rolls a bit. Also, wind (weather and time dependent) and temps (we haave had 45, 70 and 60 degrees w/ rain at various times the past few years) can be a factor in LA, esp rain in an El Nino year (which is predicted for winter 15/16).
Last edited by: TallTim: Oct 1, 15 18:29
Quote Reply
Re: Flat marathon in Feb / March ? Recomendation.... [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lost Dutchman
Apache junction Az in February
Amazin race
Quote Reply

Prev Next