Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: When will ridiculous entry fees end or when will demand fade [delmosports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you put together a hell of a race. I did ETC last year, wanted to do it again this year and then saw a 24% increase. Costs are up 24% in 1 year? Last year's Ironman Princeton 70.3 was only $20 more. I understand you can get away with it (last year it sold out in 36 hours and I'm sure this will sellout in a week or 2) but come on. Does the cost increase have anything to do with the ETL cancellation?
Quote Reply
Re: When will ridiculous entry fees end or when will demand fade [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I touched on a similar issue re: a complete race listing in a different thread about a month ago.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5698659;search_string=;#5698659

I think that this is something that we as a ST community can do a good job of actually.
Between us, I'd be willing to bet that we're aware of the vast majority of races across our geographical footprint (which is pretty big!)

Quote Reply
Re: When will ridiculous entry fees end or when will demand fade [icarus13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year opened at $169 and closed at $229.
This year opened at $189 and currently sits at $209.
This is an 11% increase.

If you compare this race to similar races (in size and scope) Escape the Cape is the clear value leader.

The cancellation of EFL has zero to do with our increase. The increase is due to our consistent investment in what we do in terms of hiring the best staff and investing consistent upgrades to our equipment. What I will tell you is...this event will be set at this price for quite some time. I'd be more than happy to explain the minutia of what goes into an event like this and why things are...the way they are. You know me, you know I won't BS my athletes. Hit me up any time.
Quote Reply
Re: When will ridiculous entry fees end or when will demand fade [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is one of the things we do, that no one else really does...we try to connect with our athletes prior to the race...without charging them. In my mind, you've paid for the race, but you're not only paying for the race, you're paying for any organized rides or swims we'll do leading up to the event...this is included in your reg fee. In my mind, it's the right thing to do. Why? Because I want you to have a great race.

Here are a few examples:

In 2014, leading up to Escape the Cape Triathlon, we held three swim clinics for newbies and experienced athletes alike. These swims also included lunch and free beer at the local brewery.

In 2015, we did 2 free preview rides for Challenge AC. These rides were fully supported and included a free beer at the local pub (with a lunch special). We also did free open water swims every Tuesday night in Wildwood Crest, NJ. These swims were staffed with lifeguards and gave athletes an opportunity to get in open water without fear..and for free.

In 2016, we've got a ton of stuff planned, and of course, this is included in the cost of our events...which are not cheap, but we believe in the "long" play with our athlete. It's not just about race day, it's about the lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: When will ridiculous entry fees end or when will demand fade [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in the southeast it is not so bad for reasonable race fees, even for the big events like IMFL where the price is less than most of the other IM races. We just had a 70.3 local race last weekend with less than 300 total athletes that cost $100 for early registration. Early registration for the Olympic races is $35 to $55 and there are multiple events throughout the spring and summer to choose from.

The biggest problem we have is the summers are simply too hot to have any other than a suffer-fest race, I did a local Oly race last July and the temps were in the 90s before I got off the bike. Makes for some slow times which does not appeal to many people. That forces races into the spring and fall, and there is a lot of competition for weekends with races like IM Augusta, IM Chattanooga, IM Louisville, IM Florida all in a row. The race I did last weekend, the Goosepond Half Distance triathlon (I competed in the Olympic race this year), has had to move multiple times as IM Chattanooga and other IM races came on the scene. Add IM Louisville moving to the fall and the schedule gets even more crowded, especially since Challenge AC and IM Maryland are not too far away for competitors in the southeast.

Quote Reply
Re: When will ridiculous entry fees end or when will demand fade [delmosports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like your races. I've done AC (3x's) ESC(thought the wine was a great touch), Challenge AC, would've done AC again this past year but you moved it up and it conflicted.
ESC - for a sprint over $200 after you add in tax, active fee and stuff is a bit much. I get all that you do to make your races great and there's extra cost built in with the ferry. I would've passed this year but I had already talked a couple people into it. From your emails it's almost full and I hope it fills up for you every year. But everyone I knew there last year bailed this year due to the price increase and said they doubt they'd go back. Another 2 friends said no when they saw the fee.

Your other races are a little expensive but worth it. Well as long as they aren't going up again?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: When will ridiculous entry fees end or when will demand fade [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally understand, no offense taken. We know what our costs are and what we need to do to make this event ultra safe and fun. Right now, the other events are under a $100 respectively, and as you know, we go the extra mile. With that said, here are my favorite grassroots races 'down the Shore:

1. Stone Harbor Triathlon, Stone Harbor, NJ: Great sprint race, only 300 people, buffet breakfast, beautiful community and is usually around $65.
  2. Avalon Islandman, Avalon, NJ: another great event, all proceeds benefit Tim Kerr Charities. Incredible competition and always a load of swag for the athletes. Again, somewhere between $75-$85.
  3. Jersey Genesis Triathlon, Port Republic, NJ: One of the originals around these parts. Lake swim, great cycling, and a single loop run around the lake on pavement. You can always count on seeing the loyal crew at this event, and is about $75 as well.
  4. Brigantine Triathlon, Brigantine, NJ: This is the oldest triathlon along the Jersey Shore, I think 28 years running. It's a classic with a back bay swim (that can really rip), and an always HOT hot. The Brig Fire Department is always liberal to spray down the athletes at the turnaround...which is nice.
  5. Tri the Wildwood, North Wildwood, NJ: call me a homer, but this race started out with 250 athletes 13 years ago and has grown into a 1500 person event. Yet, there is a real hometown feel to it and it's STILL prices under $90...now, if you wait until the week before...you'll pay much more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see Challenge AC on your website right now. Last year I believe it was ? Is there going to be a race this year and are you going to be affiliated with it ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply

Prev Next