Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheel lifespan question
Quote | Reply
Have a set of HED Ardennes with a lot of miles. Probably >30,000. Lot of hard miles.

The rim wear indicators on both rims are still visible, but barely.

They are extremely true.

But I've recently noticed a "bump" in both wheels while braking. Pretty significant. No imperfection is noticeable visibly. But in a truing stand I can definitely detect a *very* slight warping of the rims. Very much smaller than a millimeter. Only detectable by sensing the increased drag at the spot as the wheel spins. I can't even "see" the rim gain/lose contact with the probes, just feel the drag. There is no visible rim damage at the spots where the increase drag happens.

Is this something that happens with age, and time for new rims? I don't think it's from hitting a pothole or anything because hitting the rim that hard seems like it would have pinch-flatted my clinchers, and I haven't had that happen on these wheels.

Thanks for any advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel lifespan question [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some additional data would help:

-Where is the warping (between spokes, aligned with a spoke, etc.)?

- Is the "warping" a bulge in both sides of the rim? An "out of true" style blip?

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel lifespan question [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for replying.

On both wheels almost dead between spokes. Both, probably by coincidence, directly on the opposite side of the wheel as the valve stem.

Warping appears to be on one side of the rim, but it's hard to tell. It's not an out-of-true style blip because the blip starts and stops between spokes. It's very short in duration. It's a bump rather than a wave. Totally invisible to the eye. It's odd how easy it is to feel while braking, particularly light braking.

While a mechanic recently told me that my brake tracks have some concavity (but were OK), I sure can't see it. I can lay the edge of a credit card over the brake track and it's sure hard to see any concavity. And, as mentioned, the wear indicator is still there.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 29, 15 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Wheel lifespan question [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd take the tire off and see if the blip is also on the inside of the rim. If so the rim is starting to buckle a tiny bit, and I'd retire the wheels (they are probably not in imminent risk of failure, but a nice pothole hit in the right spot and the aluminum could crack).

That it is opposite the valve hole is probably not a coincidence, as rims are typically welded/joined there.

I'd also send an email to HED or PM the HED folks on this forum. They've sold tons of these wheels and have probably seen everything.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply