Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [H. Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H. Legs wrote:
It's amazing how closed-minded and judgemental people can be here. Everyone has their own goals with their own ways of achieving them. I certainly wouldn't do 5 hours on a trainer, but if someone feels that they can benefit from that, then great for them. Saying that such a person doesn't "understand how to live life properly" is just asinine. Why so intolerant? Relax and worry about yourself.

I meant it more as light-hearted ribbing, not serious intolerance! Just proselytizing a little about my belief that the joys of cycling/triathlon are largely about getting outdoors and challenging yourself against people, not staring at a Trainerroad graph in the garage.....sometimes the trainer has benefits: testing, targeted workouts, crappy weather. I'm just trying to hold the line against its encroachment into everyday training. It must be stopped before it's too late.
Quote Reply
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't matter if it's 5 or 6 hours on the trainer or outside, that long on the bike sucks. Can't wait for this IM training to be done.
Quote Reply
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
woof wrote:
If I understand this correctly, I can't just throw my bike on my trainer and expect to get results?

I call trolling and not even very good; i'll give you 2/10. You've been on here over 2 yrs so you have to have read at least 50 threads on bike training on the trainer:)

Agreed

Beating a rehash of a warmed-over, washed-up, well-trodden dead horse.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we're not all wired the same way. To each their own
Quote Reply
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
woof wrote:
If I understand this correctly, I can't just throw my bike on my trainer and expect to get results?

You can't just put it on the trainer. You have to put it on the trainer and then get on it and ride.

Ride hard and ride often and you will get results whether riding outside or riding inside. Your legs don't know the difference.

I have to train twice the volume indoors to make up for the 10% I lose each time I transition from one to the other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
Riding on a bike is simply spinning your legs in tiny circles.

Not that tiny. I'd describe them as pretty big circles. Also,successful bike racing encompasses a wide range of skills, of which physiological adaptation is just one.

I suppose it's all relative. I don't typically label a circle with a radius of 17 cm as 'pretty big', but to each his own. The OP asked about IM, which limits the number of necessary 'successful bike racing' skills.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other aspect of doing a ride on the trainer is that it is great from a time management standpoint. I just put my shoes on and hop on. No putting bike in the car and driving to a trail. Even if you ride out the door, you have to put the right clothes on, helmet, and deal with traffic and laws and cars. I can do it early before sunrise or late at night. It is just another tool like a treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same. Cycling only here.. pretty much use trainer for all riding except group rides/races. Excellent bang for buck time wise and if you have the right mentality you get a better overall workout, especially if you're trying to accomplish a specific stimulus. Depends why you ride bikes though.. I ride to race, period. If I LOVED riding for the sake of riding, i suspect i'd have little tolerance for the trainer.

---------------------------------------------------------------
http://cyclussports.com/ - #ZeroPositive #CyclusSports
http://app.strava.com/athletes/355549
https://twitter.com/ryanAjoyce
Quote Reply
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [aidanlynch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely- the trainer is all about efficiency and results. When I trained for IM I did a Saturday long ride and every other ride was indoors.
Quote Reply
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [GAscott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GAscott wrote:
Tapeworm wrote:
Trainerroad really has to be the most hyped up waste of time I have come across. Still amazed people pay money for it.

I kinda agree w/ this. I write my workout on a piece of paper( watts and time) turn on my ipod and get it done. However, my wife needs the interaction of Trainerroad and has a year long subscription. I only activate my TR account for the Tour of Sufferlandria.

You pop a vid' in the ol' VCR, too?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
PerfPro but I don't like their UI and they cost an upfront fee too.

LOL. To each his own. I like PerfPro because it has a one time upfront fee. Trainerroad is good, but I don't like the subscription format. I *might* subscribe to Zwift, but it's gotta be cheaper than trainerroad. I'd rather have an upfront fee for that one as well, but they [Zwift] prefer subscription.
Quote Reply
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to take a look at http://www.peripedal.com/
One time fee (reasonably inexpensive) and virtual power. I am not connected with PeriPedal in any way, other than a happy (but sore after this morning's workout) user.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes; i am proof of it, but you need a power meter and some dedication.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to the focus you get on the trainer, it is also a good time way to get in some training when you otherwise might not due to weather, darkness and such. When I had little kids I had much less resistance to a trainer workout where I was available to help with the kids if necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sort of the opposite.

I was HR-based and no trainer road, having a scrap of paper and a TV to distract me.

Once I went to TR, power and sufferfest, I've improved greatly and I really enjoy the challenge. It's hard work and I feel badass when I'm done. Plus all the graphs are fun to look at, neat to muck around with the data and reports.

I used to be a pack a day smoker, considering the cost of TR is about the price of a pack of smokes in my area, I consider it a good trade. :)

But of course it's whatever floats your boat.

---Patrick

IMMT2014 IMFLA2015
IMMT703-2012/2014 IMFLA703-2013
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, i turned to the trainer this early spring, primarily as a weight loss too and secondly as a training method for my couple sprints that I do over the course of the summer. In the past I've hated it and couldn't stand being on it more than 45 mins at a time, but something happened this time around, and whether it was just Netflix, re runs of hockey games on NBCsports live on my tablet or motivation, I've really begun to enjoy my time on the trainer. I have ridden 2+ hours 3-4 times, but mostly hover around 45-1.5hrs. My Sprint tri time/pace on June was a solid 2-2.5mph faster than I had ever raced and I don't use a power meter. I just knew that I could sustain xx mins on the bike, in xx gear @ xx cadence and the rest is in my head. I've found I've gotten significantly stronger on the bike this year & i can only think of two times I've ridden outside this summer. Once was a training ride & once was the race.

I had a close encounter with a car during a race about 2 years ago & i'm not going to lie, it's definitely scared me a bit for riding on roads. With two young kids, I figure you know, I could ride outside and run the risk of all the possibilities or I could hang out in the basement & maybe get a little annoyed when they fiddle with everything in the workout room, but I do get to spend time with them while I'm training and I enjoy that. Not to mention that my wife digs my legs now that I've been biking so much.

Trainers work. The biggest thing is your mindset.

Nate
Last edited by: Nates78ski: Aug 31, 15 19:37
Quote Reply
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alfalfameister wrote:
125mph wrote:
PerfPro but I don't like their UI and they cost an upfront fee too.

LOL. To each his own. I like PerfPro because it has a one time upfront fee. Trainerroad is good, but I don't like the subscription format. I *might* subscribe to Zwift, but it's gotta be cheaper than trainerroad. I'd rather have an upfront fee for that one as well, but they [Zwift] prefer subscription.

I also like PerfPro for the one-time fee. I spent over $100 on TrainerRoad subscription and then I found PerfPro which was a one-time fee. It took a while to get used to the UI but I vastly prefer PerfPro over TrainerRoad now because I find that PerfPro has much more functionality. I'm also on the fence about zwift. I'm more focused on functionality than entertainment, so I really don't feel the need to ride with Zwift. Also based on their recent survey they sent out they asked if I'd pay something like $18-24 a month....definitely not.

All that aside, I read a few other people discussing why some people choose to ride indoors instead of outside. For me it's because I live in the city and to get to any decent riding spot it takes 15-20 minutes at a minimum (regardless if I'm driving or riding my bike there fighting traffic). So immediately I lose 30-40 minutes. When I already work full-time, train 14-20 hours a week, am a part-time student, and am in a relationship, then yeah, riding indoors makes a bit more sense. Don't get me wrong, I love riding outdoors whenever possible, but it isn't always feasible.
Quote Reply
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [maddog95835] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Can't wait for this IM training to be done."
--------------------
The why do it? It is voluntary and should be fun.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does it not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It helps me improve because if I didn't have one I wouldn't be able to ride. My wife goes to the gym 3 days a week early and I jump on the trainer for an hour while she's out, turn on the baby monitor and ride. Young kids dictate my schedule more than what I want. If I had my way I'd ride outdoors as much as possible, however that's not to say I don't get a good benefit of trainer sessions that each have a specific purpose. The only time trainer sessions don't give me that much benefit is when they don't have a purpose and I just get on and ride. Still better than staying in bed, but I find due to the 45-90 min typical ride times I need each ride to be well structured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
woof wrote:
Your called. This was no bluff.

Yes I have seen the marketing videos... keyword is marketing. And I have read a couple... I know a couple people who have done nothing but ride the trainer and then do ironman. I have complete 2 Ironman and got destroyed on the bike. And my marathon is destroyed as well because of it. I don't know if it is me or my bike that is the problem.
I run a 3:30 marathon outside of IM. But with the bike, I have run 6:30 and a 5:30 in IM over the last 2 years... far from the typical 1/2 hour addition. I swim 1:10 at IM. So the issue is the bike or me or both. My bike is 20+ years old... with aero clip ons. 1 of the wheel sets is 13 years old and the other is 8 years old. It's the old 9 speed, I have to make due.

Oh hey, did you ever BQ on that 20mpw in 10 weeks training plan?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by woof [ In reply to ]
Re: How does riding on the trainer help you improve? [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walie wrote:
woof wrote:
Your called. This was no bluff.

Yes I have seen the marketing videos... keyword is marketing. And I have read a couple... I know a couple people who have done nothing but ride the trainer and then do ironman. I have complete 2 Ironman and got destroyed on the bike. And my marathon is destroyed as well because of it. I don't know if it is me or my bike that is the problem.
I run a 3:30 marathon outside of IM. But with the bike, I have run 6:30 and a 5:30 in IM over the last 2 years... far from the typical 1/2 hour addition. I swim 1:10 at IM. So the issue is the bike or me or both. My bike is 20+ years old... with aero clip ons. 1 of the wheel sets is 13 years old and the other is 8 years old. It's the old 9 speed, I have to make due.

Oh hey, did you ever BQ on that 20mpw in 10 weeks training plan?

I was probably closer to 10 miles a week. But did PR at 3:33 on my last marathon in Feb. But my bike time is crap.
Last edited by: woof: Aug 31, 15 19:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All pluses for me: 1. Time efficiency 2. Instant accessibility 3. I own a couple dozen Spinervals dvd's 4. I never get bored doing what I love

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
consider the inverse: what can't you improve on a trainer? well, handling, road feel, race tactics, group dynamics, and maybe gear selection.

so, in my opinion, you'll still need to put in your hours on the road from time to time, especially your long rides, unless you've got lots of broad and deep base.

since the trainer can't offer you those things, it's wisest to use the for what it's best at: control and predictability. you always know what the weather and road conditions will be like on the trainer, so if there's construction or a storm, a trainer ride sure beats none at all.

the fact that you have no traffic, lights, or risk of crash means that you can focus purely on the pedals. that makes the trainer good for intervals. more specifically, it's good for prologue-style efforts that have you so cross-eyed they're borderline unsafe in traffic. the same goes for high-cadence drills, one-legged drills, and so on.

some people also like the trainer for bricks; i'm ambivalent about that.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply

Prev Next