Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: swim watch [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to swim with a watch with a countdown feature. Allowed for send-offs that I couldn't manage on a pace clock (like 1:37 or some other odd number). Broke the strap awhile ago. Haven't demanded that level of precision in sendoff lately though, although I was/am mostly a roadie/trackie this season and swimming somewhat irregularly.

If I get another one I might just leave the watch on the deck next to me, I think I prefer not having a watch on while swimming.

---------------------------------------------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~Gandalf
Quote Reply
Re: swim watch [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you keep track of 40 sets? I find after 6-8 of anything I start loosing count.
Quote Reply
Re: swim watch [Andy007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a ton of tricks to help you count and keep track of splits. One thing about using these tricks is that they keep your brain active during the swim.

A) at my pool, the pace clock has a minute hand as well. I don't usually use it for anything except knowing when the pool is closing (it is synced to the actual time), but for a set with a large number of repeats it helps.

B) leave on an interval which is not a multiple of 60 seconds. Eg, if you do a set of 50's on :50 and start on the top, then every 6th repeat you are starting on the top again.

C) do them as 10 x (4x50)

D) if you are trying to hit a certain pace time, you don't need to remember all of your splits. That's kind of pointless, IMO, you will never need that level of detail. You just need to remember the ones you miss, either faster or slower. One way is to keep track like you'd keep track of a golf game, if you are targeting :40 s per 50 and hit 41, 40, 39, 39, 38, 42 then you are one under par for that block of 6.

E) one guy I know alternates his breathing pattern by repeat, or by 50 for long swims. Eg first 50 every stroke to the left, next 50 bilateral every 3rd, next 50 every stroke to the right, and so forth.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Aug 30, 15 18:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy007 wrote:
How do you keep track of 40 sets? I find after 6-8 of anything I start loosing count.

The deck clock will tell you. What most people don't fully understand about the deck clock, it also counts minutes as well as seconds. Seriously. Check it out next time you're in the water. A set of 40x50s on 1:00 takes <pause for maths, jeopardy theme playing annoyingly in the background.............> 40 minutes. Calculate how long the set will take. Then, look at the minute hand. Add the number of minutes of the set. Memorize this number. Then zone out for a while during your work.

Not into doing maths? Then you could just force yourself to count. Advanced tip- say it out loud when you hit the wall.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: swim watch [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not all of them do that. But a lot do.

At one pool I swam at regularly, we had a digital pace clock that only displayed seconds.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: swim watch [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Not all of them do that. But a lot do.

At one pool I swam at regularly, we had a digital pace clock that only displayed seconds.

Interesting. I've only swam with a couple of digital clocks (which feels like being spoiled in the swimmer sense) but they counted minutes as well and reset after 59 minutes to 00. Did they have a normal clock on display anywhere in the pool or was it a Twilight Zone thing where you could only repeat the last minute of your life?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: swim watch [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that you could see easily :(

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy007 wrote:

Also, just for the record 40 x 50 free on 1:00 is one set of 40 repeats, not 40 "sets". Similarly, 10 x 100 on 1:40 is one set of 10 repeats. I'm sure you get the idea now:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy007 wrote:

I should also add that it is very rare that I will do a straight up 40x50 without adding some kind of a twist to it. Mostly because 40x 50 is a really boring set.

Examples of What I might actually do

8 x (5 x 50) descend 1-5

10 x (4x50) as
1) sprint first 12.5
2) sprint turn
3) sprint last 12.5
4) fast

40x50 every 4th non-free

4x(10x50) as
Set 1 swim
Set 2 pull
Set 3 kick