Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tail running hydration?
Quote | Reply
I livein Texas and summer is hot. Help me hydrate properly on long trail runs with no access to facilities.

I've been carrying a 16 oz water bottle with me but there has to be a better way. I see people running in vests.($150) .. are there better options?
Quote Reply
Re: Tail running hydration? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to use a Camelbak similar to the current Octane XCT model and it worked ok, but the waist belt tended to ride up over my hip bones over time. The pockets built into the waist belt sure were handy for gels and other small items.I have switched to the Ultimate Direction SJ vest, that while it doesn't have a waist belt to take weight off the shoulders, has been working great so far. I like the fact that I can have two bottles of nutrition up front, plus the bladder of water in back. I never put anything but water in a hydration bladder to make cleaning easier and prevent it from getting funky. The trick to the bladders is to turn them upside down and suck all the air out of them after filling to prevent the sloshing around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tons of options available, but for long runs, bladders will let you carry the most water. I use Ultimate Direction products, they have both bottle and bladder options. Nathan, Orange Mudd (couple of unique options), Salamon, Osprey. Try 'em on for fit if possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Tail running hydration? [Macaroni Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macaroni Kid wrote:
Tons of options available, but for long runs, bladders will let you carry the most water. I use Ultimate Direction products, they have both bottle and bladder options. Nathan, Orange Mudd (couple of unique options), Salamon, Osprey. Try 'em on for fit if possible.

Yup! I've gone upwards of 25 miles on trails self supported with a vest. Most of them will carry a 1.5-2L bladder and 2 500mL bottles as well as other stuff (food, armwarmers, etc...) Try a few on and pick the one you find most comfortable. I prefer the Salomon vests myself but there are tons of options!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I livein Texas and summer is hot. Help me hydrate properly on long trail runs with no access to facilities.

I've been carrying a 16 oz water bottle with me but there has to be a better way. I see people running in vests.($150) .. are there better options?

I like two bottle fanny packs for trail running. It is easier to monitor fluid intake with bottles as opposed to a vest or Camelbak. I also like the weight on my hips. Another two bottle solution is two quickdraws/fastdraws. A two bottle solution maxes out at about 40-44 oz., depending on whether you are using UD or Nathan bottles, so if you need more than that then you are pretty much left with a vest or a Camelbak.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a De Soto Forza trisuit for long runs (sounds weird, but stay with me). There are two back pockets (kinda where your kidneys are) that fit a 7 or 10oz fuelbelt bottle, and the leg pockets are great for a few gels. It's totally bounce-free, and works great since the weight is distributed and doesn't pull at your waist.. I use ice in the bottles for some extra cooling for the start of the run.

There is also a big center pocket in the back, but it's not tight enough to prevent heavy items from bouncing (fine for a key, ID, empty gel wrappers, etc. though).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think nothing beats a hydration pack for carrying large amounts of water comfortably, close to your body without bouncing around. I addition it lets you carry phone, food etc. I trail run with my dog every day and carry 2-3L of water for both us, depending on the weather its enough to go up to 20m
For racing I think its debatable but for training its a no brainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydration pack all the way! They're comfortable and you can stash plenty, keys, phone, snacks, etc. I fill mine halfway and freeze the nigher before to keep it nice and cold for the whole run. I use the Camelbak 70 oz. Heavier in beginning when you are stronger, then lightest near the end.

“Bloom wherever you are planted"
Quote Reply
Re: Tail running hydration? [Redog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't agree enough. My wife and I started using hydration vests this spring and really, really love them. The vests have freed us from the constraints of refilling water bottles, carrying nutrition, etc., and opened opportunities for running in a lot of new places. A vest also keeps your hands free for a more natural gait and, if you run off-road, for balance on technical sections of trail. If it has a bladder you can run along while slurping water.

If you consider buying a vest, I strongly encourage you to try one on before you buy. Neither my wife nor I ended up buying the vests that were at the top of our lists. Just like shoes and saddles, vests fit each of us differently. Make sure the vest has the hydration solution you prefer (i.e. bottles or bladder) and that it's large enough to support the kind of running you plan on doing. Ask if the store has a "test" bladder so you can run around with water in the vest. I recommend the bladders with an envelope-style closure. They are much easier to clean. I ended up with a Nathan Elevate and my wife an Ultimate Direction Jenny Ultra Vesta. I have no personal experience with Salomon, but I see a lot of their vests at the races I've been to. Some vests include a bladder, but some do not, even though they're made for one. If you're looking at a vest that does not include a bladder and you want a bladder, plan on spending an extra $30 for a bladder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i use a running backpack with a bladder for longer runs in the heat. like another poster, i freeze the bag ahead of time. it's kind of an art, figuring out the ice/water balance for a run, but being able to drink cold water when i'm 60-90 minutes into a run (sometimes more) is a huge help. To me, the cold is a bigger help than the hydration.
mine's a nathan brand, but that camelbacks also work well and i'm sure that other brands do too.
Quote Reply