Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

School me on joining a road club/team
Quote | Reply
Tri season is winding down for me and I'm really thinking of cutting the swimming and running next year and just doing what I love most, cycling. I'd love do more group cycling and eventually enter some road races/crits. What is there to know/what is the best way to go about joining a road club? Since I have no experience with cycling races and will start as a cat 5, I'm not expecting to be on a competitive team per say but would like a decent group to ride and race with, is this possible or are these two separate ideas? For reference I'm an early 20's male in Denver where there are ample cycling opportunities. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: School me on joining a road club/team [BKyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're pretty much in the ideal are to do whatever you want. Check out local bike shops that you've frequented and ask if they have any cycling clubs that they sponsor or know of weekend group rides. Let them know your level of fitness, lots of cycling teams, both your competitive and "fun" teams will have their *heater/really really fast* group rides where everyone works to kill everyone, and then they have their *lets have fun, no drop ride*. Usually they'll just tell you to show up to this location at this time...

Then do that, go ride with them, see if they fit into the cycling team you want to join and ask to be part of the team. You usually pay a small fee to be on the club/yearly dues and buy a team kit. That's about all there is to it.
Last edited by: PatrickOfSteele: Aug 2, 15 15:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be concerned with joining a club just yet.

Find the fast group rides in the area and go ride. Learn to ride in a group if you've never done so, and try not to get dropped.

Not sure in Colorado, but I know here in Oregon road racing season is winding down. Find some races if there are any, and start racing. You'll quickly learn what you need to work on during the winter before next season rolls around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ideal is a club that has friendly people and an active Cat 4/5 group. That may, or may not, be the same club that has the awesome Cat 1/2 team. You can enter races alone without being on a team so what you are looking for in terms of added value by joining a club is people to train with, people to race with and enough of a team aspect that you can get some experience with team tactics and get some new friends to drink beer with.

The best way to get started, if you are not already, is to start doing local group rides, like right now, and get to know as many people as you can. Introduce yourself often, talk to the guy riding next to you, show up a bit early and hang out for while after and chat. Just ask some people point blank that you want to start racing and you are looking for a club/team and listen to what they say. You'll figure out in pretty short order which clubs/teams are a fit for you.

And, if you have several choices that are otherwise equal, go with the club that has the best looking kit ;-)

edit to add the basics - most clubs are only $25-50 to join and will take anyone. If you are in the club, in most cases, you are automatically able to enter races as a member of the team. It is super easy to join a team if you can find who to send your check to. But, you really need to get to know people and build relationships to get anything out of it.

The kit orders will be in late winter and you definitely want the kit so make your decision in time not to miss out on the uniform!
Last edited by: STP: Aug 2, 15 17:21
Quote Reply
Re: School me on joining a road club/team [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the responses. I've got a pretty good relationship with the LBS so I'll try to see if they have any suggestions but unfortunately they don't sponsor a road team and are more of a mountain bike store. I guess the overall take is that it's best to be proactive and use the remainder of the riding season to get an idea of clubs in the area that would fit as well as see how much I get crushed on some of the group rides.
Quote Reply