Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

lake placid -- expected sellout?
Quote | Reply
Can anyone estimate when IMLP 2016 will sell out? I'm contemplating signing up and don't want to miss the window…
Quote Reply
Re: lake placid -- expected sellout? [mbende12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no way to tell, with added IM events in the last few years it seems to be taking longer. If your thinking of doing it just pull the trigger and don't look back.

Quote | Reply
It may go another week or two but I doubt it goes past the price increase on 8/27. If you want to do, you probably need to decide pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It will last multiple weeks and months, until xmas holidays
Quote Reply
Re: lake placid -- expected sellout? [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
It will last multiple weeks and months, until xmas holidays

This is interesting. I think in the next 8 weeks we have Tremblant, Muskoka, Wisconsin, Maryland, and Chattanooga which will go on sale too. Rewind even 4 years and only Wisconsin was on this list. Go 14 weeks forward and you can add Louisville, and IM Florida to the options list in terms of East coast events.
Quote Reply
Re: lake placid -- expected sellout? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, none of these races (Wisco, LP, MT, etc) seem to sell out near as fast as they used to. It wasn't that long ago that LP didn't even go online...it sold out onsite. And Wisco used to sell out in 20 minutes or less. It's nice having more options, and not having to worry about being in front of your computer the exact second the race goes on sale.

Spot

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Yeah, none of these races (Wisco, LP, MT, etc) seem to sell out near as fast as they used to. It wasn't that long ago that LP didn't even go online...it sold out onsite. And Wisco used to sell out in 20 minutes or less. It's nice having more options, and not having to worry about being in front of your computer the exact second the race goes on sale.

Spot

It's nice is like going back 15 years ago. I registered for my first IM in September 2000, and it was Lake Placid. Pretty sure it's going to be the case. There's more options, and I'm sure many athletes like me have done some races multiple times and are looking for new venues. This year was my 8th IMLP, it was my first time since 2009 going back there. I don't look forward on going back soon.
Quote Reply
Re: lake placid -- expected sellout? [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
spot wrote:

Spot

It's nice is like going back 15 years ago. I registered for my first IM in September 2000, and it was Lake Placid. Pretty sure it's going to be the case. There's more options, and I'm sure many athletes like me have done some races multiple times and are looking for new venues. This year was my 8th IMLP, it was my first time since 2009 going back there. I don't look forward on going back soon.

Between the cracks in the road in LP, the sharks in South Africa, Volcanos in Lanzarote, the freezing cold rain in Whistler, the fires in Tahoe....sheeesh, we won't have any more races for you to do. Might have to just have a perma-slot in Cabos+Cozumel for ya!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year was the first time since the 2007 race that registration didn't sell out on Monday. So this is unprecedented and thus impossible to predict. WTC only ever gives an update for any race registration when there are less than 100 slots left, and those usually go within hours. If you want in, register soon and get the insurance plan, in case you can't race for a covered reason, like injury for some added protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
notably funny dev! notably funny.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2

Also, for people in New England is a lot cheaper to race IMMD/IMMT than IMLP; I just rented a house next IMMT lake 1k for 6 days... I love lake placid but I am not willing to pay the high price tag anymore.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: lake placid -- expected sellout? [oceanswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oceanswimmer wrote:
Last year was the first time since the 2007 race that registration didn't sell out on Monday. So this is unprecedented and thus impossible to predict. WTC only ever gives an update for any race registration when there are less than 100 slots left, and those usually go within hours. If you want in, register soon and get the insurance plan, in case you can't race for a covered reason, like injury for some added protection.

True but you can email them and they will tell you almost exactly how many slots are left. I have done this several times. They might not say "We have exactly 267 spots left" but they might say something like "There's around 250 slots left."

I have also emailed them about future race dates and if the race is contracted they will tell you when the race will occur.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: lake placid -- expected sellout? [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto
Quote Reply
Re: lake placid -- expected sellout? [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
x2

Also, for people in New England is a lot cheaper to race IMMD/IMMT than IMLP; I just rented a house next IMMT lake 1k for 6 days... I love lake placid but I am not willing to pay the high price tag anymore.

I also think Dev touched on this, but if you do a race in Canada, and you are a US citizen, its like paying about 500 bucks for an IM given the exchange rate now. I also think it is still interesting that both IM Euro champs and IM Asia Pac champs are still open. IIRC, these used to sell out in minutes also.
Quote Reply