Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Maastricht Bike Times
Quote | Reply
Looks like a tougher course. Yvon Van Vlierken at 5:16 for example, Bas Dierden 4:43, Cyrill Viennot 4:52. Looks like this is living up to its reputation as a tough course in the Ardennes.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maastricht Bike Times [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post race interview wih Diederen revesled that he was stuck in 55x13 for the majority of the race... Ouch.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maastricht Bike Times [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Post race interview wih Diederen revesled that he was stuck in 55x13 for the majority of the race... Ouch.

Ouch...looking forward to your report on this course. I suspect very little drafting? What is race date next year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike per se wasnt hard but was long and had just amazing number of 90 deg turns many blind over narrow bike lanes city streets... That made it very difficult.

Also my garmin came to 185
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The course was the most difficult I have seen in an Ironman. I have done faster bike splits in Nice.
There were an awful lots of really dangerous, sharp bends. At times, the pavement was terrible - more like a gravel road. There were several kilometers of cobbles, or, rather, setts. The volunteers were ok, but they missed on a few occasions and there were some situations when I was close to running into pedestrians or cyclists. The route was closed for car traffic, but at times we shared the road with pedestrians and cyclists.
According to the organizers, there were some 1000 meters of climbing on the route. In reality, it was more like 1500. The couple of climbs, Cauberg and Bemeleberg, aren't that tough, but in a triathlon they tend to kill your momentum quite nicely. According to the organizers, the route was 182 km. It was in fact 184-185 km.
Also, there was a dangerous railroad crossing. One friend of mine hurt herself the day before the race when she fell on a similar railroad. We asked the organizers the cover the railroad with a mat, but it didn't happen.
That would explain the slow bike splits. We were lucky it wasn't raining. There could have been an awful lot of crashes on the cobbles otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maastricht Bike Times [Marcus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Lucky it was dry. It would have been mayhem in rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcus wrote:
The course was the most difficult I have seen in an Ironman. I have done faster bike splits in Nice.
There were an awful lots of really dangerous, sharp bends. At times, the pavement was terrible - more like a gravel road. There were several kilometers of cobbles, or, rather, setts. The volunteers were ok, but they missed on a few occasions and there were some situations when I was close to running into pedestrians or cyclists. The route was closed for car traffic, but at times we shared the road with pedestrians and cyclists.
According to the organizers, there were some 1000 meters of climbing on the route. In reality, it was more like 1500. The couple of climbs, Cauberg and Bemeleberg, aren't that tough, but in a triathlon they tend to kill your momentum quite nicely. According to the organizers, the route was 182 km. It was in fact 184-185 km.
Also, there was a dangerous railroad crossing. One friend of mine hurt herself the day before the race when she fell on a similar railroad. We asked the organizers the cover the railroad with a mat, but it didn't happen.
That would explain the slow bike splits. We were lucky it wasn't raining. There could have been an awful lot of crashes on the cobbles otherwise.

Thanks for the info on the bike course. Glad you got through. How were the swims and run courses?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both bike and run course were really challenging. Bike was hilly, lots of technical sections and over 184km. Run was really hilly as well.

Really tough but very satisfying race - beatuful views, lots of spectators on the course and great atmosphere. I guess it's what they call racing here - instead of putting the course on the straight road they add the small loop through the village to give some fun to the crowd. And if there is a nice hill nearby be sure you will ride there ;)

Defo not a place for PB hunters, but great opportunity for people looking for a real challenge.

coaching via trinergy.pl
TP Training Plans
IG @kowalski.coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
snaaijert wrote:

Ouch...looking forward to your report on this course. I suspect very little drafting? What is race date next year?

Sorry to disappoint you Dev, I did not race Maastricht but Zurich. Luckily others have chimed in :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re drafting...
With only 800 competitors it was not difficult to race clean. However there were groups of riders on the course blatantly cheating as draft marshals were nowhere to be seen. I ve seen one person in a penalty tent...
Drafting was flagrant and shameless. I m not even talking about cutting into a legaly spaced paceline... People just realised that on most of those roads marshalling was dangerous abd took full advantage of it. So thats to all those thinking that triathletes draft only because of the crowding on the roads...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev. Swim was truly awesome. River swim in clear water. Huge support at the start from the bridges and the banks. Think rolling start went well. The sub 60 min group i started with i ended with ...sub 60 min

The run was beautiful as it went along the river out into the country and back to the city. However rather challenging with over 600 m of climbing, my itb didnt appreciate the 10 deg hill descent. And my feet not used to cobblestones needed to thread lightly on those. One thing which i noticed before the race was lack of aid stations. I think there were too few of them. It got hot on the run, but not as hot as in frankfurt without the spectators help with additional water and hoses it wd be ugly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Thanks for the info on the bike course. Glad you got through. How were the swims and run courses?

Hmmm Marcus, I don't think you should ever consider racing IM Wales if you find this hard and technical. Sharp bends dangerous? I know triathletes have a hard time steering, but from my perspective it is a genuine part of cycling.
The length I do agree has room for improvement. Several friends raced and they all have 184,8 to 185,5 on their GPS's. I rode the course on thursday for fun and really liked it. The gravel section would have been an issue if there would have been rain, it would have rained flat tires there. The good thing is, next year the fresh loose gravel will be gone from that section.

Cyclists and walkers on the route... I fully agree the organizers have to figure that out. At least let the participants use the road, and not the cycle paths, that will be a big improvement. If they get 1500 participants next year, they will have to I think.

As a fan I had a great day, my wife was a volunteer on the run course and she really enjoyed the atmosphere and attitude of the participants as well.

I've booked July 31st 2016, but than as a participant not a fan :).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maastricht Bike Times [vanzella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I appreciate your advice! I have done lots of sportifes in Belgium, Netherlands, and France on much more difficult routes. Like, for example, the Paris-Roubaix-Challenge.
But I still think the Ironman Maastricht course was technical and difficult for being a triathlon race. The cobbles weren't that bad, but there were tight corners in the towns and lots of people close to the route. It's a piece of cake when riding a road bike equipped with 25 or 27 mm tires at a gentle pace, but when you are riding a TT bike with 22 mm tires as fast as you can it gets a little hairier. But the biggest issue was cyclists and pedestrians on the route, as well as the occasional car. In rain it would have been mayhem.
According to the organizers, there were not any serious crashes. But we heard from the locals that there were several crashes.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True I saw a few people with fresh scratches on arm/leg and one guy with fresh facial scratches. So there were definitely crashes (of course I only saw the non serious ones as I was watching the run).

Maybe this steering thing is just my personal preference. I like technical courses, and have trouble with long (flat) stretches.

Now the challenge is I guess to get those ignorant Dutchies off the route for their Sunday walks and bike rides... I'm afraid we'll need rain in 2016 to take care of that (besides replacing cycle paths by road)...

Congrats on your finish! I hope you had fun, besides the suffering!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maastricht Bike Times [vanzella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...also the problem is that thsi course is not Marshallable - way too narrow for a motorbike - people did figure it out very quickly and it will be worse next year!
Quote Reply