Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Somewhat OT: 1x11 CX drivetrain ?
Quote | Reply
So just got a new Cannondale SuperX with the CX-1 drive chain. Instead of the CX1 chainring it came with an single ring specific FSA chainring. It has tall teeth but not the narrow wide of the cx1. I have a CX-1 ring with the same number of teeth from my old CX bike. Thoughts on which might be better?
Quote Reply
Re: Somewhat OT: 1x11 CX drivetrain ? [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to believe the CX1 ring would be better, but more from the view that those parts were all made to specifically work in sync together whereas the FSA was made to be a "one size fits all" type ring. C'dale probably spec'd the FSA ring as a cost saving measure sicne those CX1 branded rings are $$$
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May as well throw the narrow/wide ring on... might have to change the chain as well (iirc there's a narrow/wide specific chain, right?). IMO the clutch in the RD is primarily responsible for retention.
Quote Reply
Re: Somewhat OT: 1x11 CX drivetrain ? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree clutch derailleur is probably the most important part of the drivetrain in this regard. There is no special chain, you just have to line up the 'wide' parts of the chain with wide teeth of the ring.

I used cx1 all year (the full set up) without issue, no chain drops, probably shouldn't mess with it. It's easy enough to change a chainring.
Last edited by: jsoderman: Aug 2, 15 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Somewhat OT: 1x11 CX drivetrain ? [kyle h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your probably right, I'm sure it was a cost savings measure, I think the cx1 ring was $130 when I got it last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go with the CX1 ring. How pissed will you be if you drop your chain and you didn't? That said, I know plenty of guys - even with SRAM - that are using "normal" rings up front and do just fine. So not trying to fearmonger here. But there's definitely some nice peace of mind that comes from using the whole system.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Somewhat OT: 1x11 CX drivetrain ? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
May as well throw the narrow/wide ring on... might have to change the chain as well (iirc there's a narrow/wide specific chain, right?). IMO the clutch in the RD is primarily responsible for retention.

I've had a different experience in terms of the clutch RD being primarily responsible for retention, in fact, I don't think it matters much with or without. I have approx. 15,000km on my first generation wolftooth cx ring on my 'cross bike, with probably about 10k of those kms off road, and I've never dropped a chain using a regular sram force wifli RD. This includes 2 full seasons of cx racing too.

I also have a drop bar mtn bike that is used exclusively off-road with no clutch RD and have never dropped a chain on that bike in over 2 years of use.

I can't imagine a situation where a clutch RD would help with chain retention on a road or TT bike unless I'm missing something? The only benefit I can think of is chain slap, but you won't have that issue on a road bike.