Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He just laid down a 4:41 HIM, 6 weeks from IMMD. I think unless there is a hurricane or Eagleman like temps, he'll do a lot better than 12 hours :)

Tri3 wrote:
Depending on the weather and your conditioning, 12 hours could be possible. I'm telling you, people consistently underestimate this race because it is a flat course. Currents, chop, jelly fish, heat, humidity, flats and flooding on the bike course, wind, and bugs on the run have brought down many an athlete.

My experience is with ChesapeakeMan, but essentially the same course/conditions.

Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
He just laid down a 4:41 HIM, 6 weeks from IMMD. I think unless there is a hurricane or Eagleman like temps, he'll do a lot better than 12 hours :)

Tri3 wrote:
Depending on the weather and your conditioning, 12 hours could be possible. I'm telling you, people consistently underestimate this race because it is a flat course. Currents, chop, jelly fish, heat, humidity, flats and flooding on the bike course, wind, and bugs on the run have brought down many an athlete.

My experience is with ChesapeakeMan, but essentially the same course/conditions.

it's actually 5 weeks ;-).

BUT, i would probably do better, relative to the field if we had those hot eagleman temps as i suffer much less than the average person in the heat. as long as there is water every mile for me to cool off i only lose about 10-15seconds per mile on the run and less than 5% on the bike :-D.

not sure if i would rather do a 10:15 and place low in my age group or do a 10:30 and place higher in my age group.

john
Quote Reply
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in case anyone still cares. i was really curious about my ftp settings being 257 in the past at cadillac mt and why my ftp is now 205. i can't use the 257 since it was last year, even if my training is now 2x what it was last year. so, i did what was logical. i went back to acadia.

i rode from the southwest harbor to acadia then past cadiallac mt and did a 20 min ftp test up the mountain. looking at my strava, just the mountain segment at 233watts. i started the lap timer prior to the mountain as i knew i would finish it in under 20 mins and my strava segment (20:01, lucky guess aye?) was 233 watts. i think it would have been higher, but i got to the summit and had to ride back down so i could ride a bit of uphill again as my flat and downhill power was not very high. i really felt i had more in me (well, i did). i ended up meeting up with friends, towing them around the island and going up the mountain again. the 2nd time i averaged 201watts (i was not pushing because i was towing a friend up and just kept a steady pace).

so i think it's safe to assume that my ftp is NOT 205watts. especially if i'm riding 201 watts 60 miles in after pushing 233 watts for 20min ftp test... right?

would it be safe (and smart) to reset my ftp settings to 233 watts (ironman maryland is 3 weeks away). or should i just keep it at 205. i know i'm not going to get any cycling gains at this point. i rode my last half at .74 (of 205) and ran a 1:33 off the bike (my previous open half mary pr was 1:36). and i wasn't sore afterwards. biked home, showered came back out for beers and to cheer my teammates on. i'm assuming it's safe to say i could have gone 3 mins faster in that race?

comments/concerns/opinions?

thanks,

john
Last edited by: ahhchon: Sep 14, 15 20:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gotchu down for 10 30 bro represent us short guys!!! I'll be rooting for sure!!
Quote Reply
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks man.

i just re-ran bbs and it has me at 5:06 bike for .76 IF and 5:10 bike for .74 IF.

i have my fingers crossed for a calm water day 1:25 swim, 5:15 bike and 3:30 run with 10 mins transitions putting me at 10:20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i plan on doing similar at the same race next year!! maybe a little under 5 on the bike and maybe 1 30 swim tho cause fuck swimming lol i'm 21 too so should place pretty well in ag. pretty much same size as you too. lemme know how it goes and what you thought of the course and stuff!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no problem.

i'm 1286. have fun tracking
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been told and results on my own and close friends seem to indicate 70.3 time + an hour(ish) is a good estimate....given similar course, conditions, etc.

so your 4:40 puts you around 10:20....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
in case anyone still cares. i was really curious about my ftp settings being 257 in the past at cadillac mt and why my ftp is now 205. i can't use the 257 since it was last year, even if my training is now 2x what it was last year. so, i did what was logical. i went back to acadia.

i rode from the southwest harbor to acadia then past cadiallac mt and did a 20 min ftp test up the mountain. looking at my strava, just the mountain segment at 233watts. i started the lap timer prior to the mountain as i knew i would finish it in under 20 mins and my strava segment (20:01, lucky guess aye?) was 233 watts. i think it would have been higher, but i got to the summit and had to ride back down so i could ride a bit of uphill again as my flat and downhill power was not very high. i really felt i had more in me (well, i did). i ended up meeting up with friends, towing them around the island and going up the mountain again. the 2nd time i averaged 201watts (i was not pushing because i was towing a friend up and just kept a steady pace).

so i think it's safe to assume that my ftp is NOT 205watts. especially if i'm riding 201 watts 60 miles in after pushing 233 watts for 20min ftp test... right?

would it be safe (and smart) to reset my ftp settings to 233 watts (ironman maryland is 3 weeks away). or should i just keep it at 205. i know i'm not going to get any cycling gains at this point. i rode my last half at .74 (of 205) and ran a 1:33 off the bike (my previous open half mary pr was 1:36). and i wasn't sore afterwards. biked home, showered came back out for beers and to cheer my teammates on. i'm assuming it's safe to say i could have gone 3 mins faster in that race?

comments/concerns/opinions?

thanks,

john

A 20 minute test is "suppose to" represent a one hour "result" with a 5% or so reduction in the 20 minute test result via the literature. So, the 233 watt average for 20 minutes is decreased to around 221 watts for one hour. Riding longer will result in an even lower wattage number. Actual ride experience for the distance/time frame will provide more accurate figures than making a lot of assumptions. The course in Maine is different than the course in Maryland that is 2x longer. The wind, weather could make for a long day if you keep trying to hang your hat on some specific numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahh yes, forgot about the 5% reduction.

not hanging my hat on any specific numbers. just looking to learn and gather more information. i just started analyzing my data and it's interesting to compare it to the past etc .

it'll be interesting to see how i ride at maryland. obviously wind etc is going to be a large factor.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sp1ke wrote:

4.5 w/k guys should be crushing IM courses.
IMMD seems to be a very fast course. I'm 4 w/kg at 70kg and for me a .72 IF or 200NP on that course should get me around 4h 45m... While the same watts at IMFL would be 4:50.

W/kg isn't a great measure for a TT. A 130lb rider will be lower on w/CdA.

Yes, IMMD is a very fast course, but a lighter rider will be at a disadvantage to a larger rider comparatively. A very hilly course like Muskoka in comparison, would favor a smaller, lighter rider. However a 5:20 at Muskoka is probably about a 4:45 at IMMD.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SW Harbor to the Park Loop RD entrance of Cadilac Mtn is kind of a hike? How long did it take you to get there? Were you tired and what was your HR? Perhaps you were more than warmed up before you began your test. The climb up to the top is pretty darn steep - not sure of the % grade, so I would think (not knowing anything about you) that your watts would be much higher. What was your HR? Did you reach maximum? Perhaps other variables impacted it (usually there is lots of traffic)? All this to say, I wonder what the test would look like if you went all out on a flat course, without traffic, in good conditions, or indoors on a trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [dannysays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dannysays wrote:
SW Harbor to the Park Loop RD entrance of Cadilac Mtn is kind of a hike? How long did it take you to get there? Were you tired and what was your HR? Perhaps you were more than warmed up before you began your test. The climb up to the top is pretty darn steep - not sure of the % grade, so I would think (not knowing anything about you) that your watts would be much higher. What was your HR? Did you reach maximum? Perhaps other variables impacted it (usually there is lots of traffic)? All this to say, I wonder what the test would look like if you went all out on a flat course, without traffic, in good conditions, or indoors on a trainer.

i thought it was a little of a hike. it took me about 26 miles to get to the base of cadillac. i was riding z2 but decided to do a ftp test.

the grade is 5-6% the whole way up. i don't think it pitched more than 7 or 8, but def no lower than 4-5%. i did not reach max hr. i think i was hovering in the mid 160's for the climb. it was cold, no traffic as it was still early in the day. i can't seem to hit good watts on a flat course. i find it MUCH easier to ride 200 watts up a hill than it is to ride 200 watts on flat ground. can anyone explain that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Others more experienced than I can chime in, but I believe that one needs to be exhausted, bordering on puking, by the end of the FTP test.

It is also likely that your legs were a bit pooped before you began it.

If you can't get there outside, you may wish to consider doing it inside somehow.

I do not look forward to FTP tests knowing how much suffering I am about to endure even if it is for only 20 min.

ahhchon wrote:
dannysays wrote:

i thought it was a little of a hike. it took me about 26 miles to get to the base of cadillac. i was riding z2 but decided to do a ftp test.

the grade is 5-6% the whole way up. i don't think it pitched more than 7 or 8, but def no lower than 4-5%. i did not reach max hr. i think i was hovering in the mid 160's for the climb. it was cold, no traffic as it was still early in the day. i can't seem to hit good watts on a flat course. i find it MUCH easier to ride 200 watts up a hill than it is to ride 200 watts on flat ground. can anyone explain that?
Quote Reply
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [dannysays] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't get me wrong. i was pushing hard. i can't get my ftp over 204 riding inside. i'm borderline puking on the trainer. but somehow, when i'm outside, riding a moderate (5-6% incline) i can be "decent" / "pretty good" compared to flat and indoor trainers.

here is the segment (the ride on my garmin itself was 20:01 with power of 233, thus 221 after .95%)

https://www.strava.com/segments/10478167?oq=cad

https://www.strava.com/activities/392476966#kudos
^ full ride
- disclaimer, there was lots of stopping the last 2.5 hours as my friends joined me and we were mainly doing a fun easy ride where i pulled them through the course. normal ftp warm up is like 10-15 mins, but i ended up having to ride there.

i probably have to head out to wachusett mt do a proper warmup then ride the rd to the summit to get a true ftp test. :-/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
i find it MUCH easier to ride 200 watts up a hill than it is to ride 200 watts on flat ground. can anyone explain that?

Given this piece of information I'm not sure why you're testing your FTP going up a hill rather than either finding a 10 mile flat stretch of road or doing it indoors on the trainer. The max elevation at IMMD is ~ 50 feet so you want to find the max power you can put out in the TT position and then base your pacing off that. You don't have long to test, practise and then taper for the race...

I am a similar size and also find climbing easier. I never really figured out why though. I think it's fairly common that people put out more power sat upright than on the aero bars, however.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
ahhchon wrote:
i find it MUCH easier to ride 200 watts up a hill than it is to ride 200 watts on flat ground. can anyone explain that?

Given this piece of information I'm not sure why you're testing your FTP going up a hill rather than either finding a 10 mile flat stretch of road or doing it indoors on the trainer. The max elevation at IMMD is ~ 50 feet so you want to find the max power you can put out in the TT position and then base your pacing off that. You don't have long to test, practise and then taper for the race...

I am a similar size and also find climbing easier. I never really figured out why though. I think it's fairly common that people put out more power sat upright than on the aero bars, however.

so you're saying the ftp that i should use is the one in TT position for 20 minutes? makes sense. i have just never read that. never had a coach tell me that etc etc.

regardless, i'm not going to base my ride off the new FTP. i'm going to base it off of the 205 that i attained on the trainer indoors, just to be safe.

john
Quote Reply
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i did a 4:45 and 5:12 at MD and Muskoka respectively, on similar wattage. MD is faster than FLA or AZ, the roads are perfect. MD is 1.5 miles short.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shhh, don't tell me that now! lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
so you're saying the ftp that i should use is the one in TT position for 20 minutes? makes sense. i have just never read that. never had a coach tell me that etc etc.

regardless, i'm not going to base my ride off the new FTP. i'm going to base it off of the 205 that i attained on the trainer indoors, just to be safe.

It's a difficult one. Some options from most conservative to least conservative (using 80% of FTP for each option):
  • Go off the 205w number. This should be conservative and achievable. (race target 164w)
  • Do an indoor TT test today/tomorrow and then ride 80% of that number at the weekend to see how it feels. (race target of 172w if you hit 215w indoors)
  • Go off the 230w number. You may overcook it slightly (race target 184w)

That leaves you with a potential 20w difference in race strategy which is a big spread this close to the race. Ideally you would have done this test 6 weeks ago, and then you would have had 4 big weekend varying the bike target number by 5-10w and/or varying the off-the-bike run pacing by 5-10s per mile to build confidence in the strategy and test nutrition.

With that disclaimer out the way; the spread isn't so ridiculous that you'll destroy yourself if you're sensible in the race. You can look up average heart rate for previous races and/or recent race-like bike rides and use that as a guide too. If you pick a target and during the race you feel more breathless, your HR is 5bpm+ higher than previous races, and the watts aren't coming easy after 1-2 hours, you can drop the power target during the race without having to zombie-walk the run.

A good exercise is to put the power numbers into BestBikeSplit and it will estimate time differences based on different watt targets. (Picking numbers out of my arse) Let's say the higher watt target translates to 13 minute time saving. You would have to run 30s per mile faster to make up this time difference on the run. Depending on your run confidence, you may judge it worth the risk to go at the higher watt number, IF you think running 30s/mile slower than your run target is easily achievable.

Your FTP dropping from 250+ to 205 seems like a big drop though in one year, which is an interesting x-factor. I'd be curious if you knew why it dropped.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess my IMMD time and answer my ftp questions [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey folks,

so the race is in a few days. it's been a rough few weeks for me between work. rescheduling everything in life. my mother having a sudden trip to the ER and last week developing plantar fascitis. i have done one run in the past 10 days and i plan on staying off my feet until saturday.

clearly, expectations are now down, i'm a bit bummed about it, but such is life.

i'm confident i will have a rough swim, recover and bike well, without over biking then i just hope that my foot can handle the run.

if it can't, i'll just walk it. dropping out isn't an option unless i'm limping at mile 5 of the run.

bib#1286

wish me luck.

thank you everyone here for all the assistance and support.

in case people wondered.

i'm hoping for 1:25-1:35 swim
bike: under 5:25
run: goal was 3:30. now, i have no idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck. Try not to get too bummed out. Anything can happen on race day :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next