Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who trains without gadgets? [boney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't read the whole thread but...

I have only used a Timex stopwatch since 2007. Honestly, I could give that up too if I didn't have obligations which meant I have to be somewhere at a certain time.
Quote Reply
Re: Who trains without gadgets? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
boney wrote:
I train with a stop watch. Thoughts???

Nerd! I train counting one one thousand, two one thousand, etc. I do use a length of rope to measure out my courses, is that a gadget?

If you know the gear and the circumference of your wheel you can easily measure any course by simply counting pedal revolutions. You can also work out speed by counting pedal revolutions. You don't need bits of rope. That's the problem these days, people always trying to sell you things you don't need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Garmin Edge on the bike, but i only use it for the cadence sensor. I do keep my phone with me when i'm out running or biking, but that's for music or emergencies. I don't even know what tech people would use for swimming... i just swim.

I'm also not an FOP kind of guy, I'm like front of the back of the pack, so my training habits probably aren't relevant to FOP guys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been definitely geeked out since I started road biking in 2006. When I ran, all I had was a Timex Ironman. Looking back, I wish we had GPS running watches in the 1990s. I would have loved to have been able to look back at my runs. While I definitely find training with power incredibly helpful, sometimes just having GPS to track where you rode or ran is a lot of fun.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who trains without gadgets? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
The answer is, of course, "it depends": on your objectives, accumulated experience in the sport, and personal preference. Kind of silly to debate whether "more gadgetry" is better or worse for all situations.
If I'm doing interval training on the bike I personally need the PM to confirm that my PE is accurate ( I often drift below target if not paying attention), and to log weekly hours/stress. Do you need it on a long, easy ride? Probably not. Does everyone need it? Probably not.
Running I bring along just a watch just so I know how long I've been outside. Easy to calculate average pace if you know the mileage. Sometimes it is nice to have mile splits on tempo runs to gauge progress? Necessary? No.
Swimming - I wouldn't consider a pace clock a "gadget" but that's just because I've been swimming 25 out of the 32 years I've been alive. Impossible to do any structured set without one...

The pace clock is the power meter of the pool:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a garmin 410 that I wear for biking and running, but I rarely look at it during the workout. I merely use it so I can upload to strava afterwards and track progress.

I use RPE for running and biking, and the pace clock for swimming. If I get too into the data and tracking of things, it stops being fun.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Who trains without gadgets? [fwrunco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fwrunco wrote:
If you train without power on the bike then you had better be riding a shitty ass bike or else your money would be better spent on a power meter. Unless you don't care at all about getting better in which case why would you even be reading this forum to begin with. It isn't about being a slave to the power meter, it is about gauging progress on the bike which, without a power meter, is damned near impossible.

say what?
Quote Reply
Re: Who trains without gadgets? [Bypasskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is proof that white people with money and time on their hands can come up with some seriously stupid reasons for complicating every facet of their lives.
Quote Reply
Re: Who trains without gadgets? [steves10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steves10 wrote:
This thread is proof that white people with money and time on their hands can come up with some seriously stupid reasons for complicating every facet of their lives.

Say what?
Quote Reply
Re: Who trains without gadgets? [steves10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steves10 wrote:

not saying i disagree. but you're welcome to come visit me in Hong Kong, plenty of not-so-white folks here doing the same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i trained 4 months like a newbie. without anything, i jumped onto Powermeter, HR, Cadence and noticed how weak I actually was. It was valuable for me to have the power meter show me what kind of MPH i could get with what wattage. It is hard for me to maintain 22mph longer than 30 mins. still working on it.

Rain*
Quote Reply
Re: Who trains without gadgets? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need something for running. Daydream too much! Also for OW swim it would help too. What would be the best option on a Garmin (cost/function)?

The bike - power meter but I can't see it helping me much... until I have my run fixed up.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who trains without gadgets? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I say that running, biking and swimming are pretty simple. Those of us who have financial means and time on our hands make it complicated. I include myself.
My head says that all I need to get better is some hill work and fast intervals. But my heart says buy the latest gadget and then bore my friends and family to death
talking about the latest gadget.
Quote Reply

Prev Next