Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

American IM races
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Having done pretty much exclusively European races other than Kona and the old Canada course in Penticton, I am looking to maybe venture further afield next year for my A race. I don't know a great deal about the states in terms of what courses are recognised as being tough, fast, good transport, good race atmosphere etc, so was looking for some advice. My criteria are:

1) Fast and reasonably cool. Don't mind racing in normal(ish) summer temperatures, but if it is going to be over 35 degrees it is too much for my big frame. I would also like the course to be fast as I want to try to get this sub 10 monkey off my back, and therefore needs to be quick. I am a fast swimmer, so non wetsuit doesn't bother me, but the bike and run need to be quick.

2) Good destination to spend time in. I would be there at least a week before and after race day, so preferably somewhere with a bit to do before and after the race in terms of tourist type things.

3) Good support and atmosphere.

4) Reasonably easy to get to from the UK - I can fly into anywhere and hire a car I guess, but would prefer not to be travelling for hours on end.

If nothing springs to mind for 2016 in the states, any other ones I could consider?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: American IM races [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you're looking at Florida or Arizona for the "fast" courses in the U.S. -- if you can get in before they sell out.

People really like both Whistler and Mont Tremblant (go read dev's threads) but they're not flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
      Ironman Maryland: Under right conditions, you will turn is a fast time. A bit flat and boring but fast. Fairly close to Annapolis and Washington DC.

However, Tremblant and Lake Placid are much better all around IMs, IMHO.

Roar Lion Roar
Last edited by: sevenride: Jul 7, 15 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about some of the local races? Same distance…just not Corporate owned (WTC)….like the Capitolaman? Vineman? …California in the fall is the most beautiful place in the world…Monterey Bay/Santa Cruz (just 30 mins South of San Jose) is epic! and usually the fee is about half what a WTC event…Local, Organic, Homegrown…Kemakol (Santa Cruz)..
Quote Reply
Re: American IM races [kemakol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be averse to doing a local non IM branded event, but would want it to be a large field for the atmosphere as opposed to a few hundred people in the middle of nowhere. With regards to Florida and Arizona, the thing that bothers me most is the temperature. I have been to Florida twice in my life and both times it has been like being in a sauna 24/7. Arizona I have passed through but never stopped. How bad is the heat for these races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Florida it really depends that time of year. Anywhere from 60F to 80F+. It is unfortunately a gamble anytime in the state with the exception of Jan-Feb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Florida in November is not hot, the weather for race day is usually in the 70s.
Quote Reply
Re: American IM races [sevenride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maryland sounds like your best bet for a screaming fast (but boring) course, with things to see and do. It should be easy to fly directly to Dulles Airport in Virginia or Baltimore in Maryland.

If you go to IM Florida then you have connections and few options to fly into Panama City's airport. Choosing IM Arizona will add 2 more time zone changes. You might consider IM Augusta and IM Louisville as alternative venues to Maryland. Really, apart from the race, it all depends on what you want to see and do while you are in the U.S.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: American IM races [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having done Maryland last year, and my only IM I've done, the course was flat flat flat! weather was high 60's low 70's. Very boring on the ride, but the run was good because it was 3 out and backs, so there was a lot of support.
Quote Reply
Re: American IM races [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Florida in November is not hot, the weather for race day is usually in the 70s.

In fact last year a ton of people had problems coming off the bike being too cold. Those people should have ridden harder. :)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
South/east us is pretty much flat, west is pretty mountainous, and north east can be hilly but it's not that bad for the most part
Quote Reply
Re: American IM races [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent info guys, thanks a ton. I am leaning towards Florida. I feel like I need a bit of a time out from Ironman, and the race being in November 2016 means I get a year out to do shorter races and refresh the mind a bit before hitting the training hard through the British summer time next year. I have just got back from racing Ironman Germany (for the sixth time), and it was absolutely brutal. It was made all that much harder because I got knocked off my motorbike three days before the race and ended up unable to run, so limped the whole marathon in 7 and a bit hours. This coupled with 115 degree heat has left me absolutely drained. I don't want to see my trainers for the foreseeable future.

Think I need to just get away from the sport for a bit and then come back refreshed. Florida fits with this. Will maybe hit some 70.3's for the next year. Anyway, will look at Maryland too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just keep in mind, Florida usually sells out super fast so you need to be on the ball with registration, or be prepared to pay extra for a foundation slot or other entry.

I know you said you wanted to make a bigger trip. But have you looked at Barcelona? It's a flat PR course for sure, it's in October, and it has inexpensive places to stay and I'm guessing a cheap flight for you as well. If you've done it before... nevermind :)
Last edited by: spudone: Jul 7, 15 16:50
Quote Reply