Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the only thing I could think when he was gunning for the line was "damn he looks aero"..... but Martin also said that the seat is set higher than his....and the brakes weed also reversed.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
soobrex1 wrote:
As recent as early 90's there was a 20+ minute gap for the stage win.

As recently as 2006 there was nearly a 30-minute gap for the stage win.

Not that that's relevant.

Jens! won the stage, Pereiro took 2nd (and the Tour), and McEwen won the field sprint 29:57 later.

You're right that it's not relevant. Landis purposely gave up the yellow due to his weak team at the time. I'd love to see Froome and all the other GC contenders gift wrap Pinot 6 minutes because they are scared that their teams aren't strong enough to sit at the front.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to say this to all of the Pinot fans here, but he 100% OUT of the tour as far as GC goes, the only way that a break gets 30 minutes is if the other teams let it.
If you think that Sky, Tinkoff, Astana and BMC will just twittle their fingers and let Pinot get more the 30 seconds let alone 30 minutes, you just don't understand how bike racing works.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Yeah, the only thing I could think when he was gunning for the line was "damn he looks aero"..... but Martin also said that the seat is set higher than his....and the brakes weed also reversed.

Of course the tri forum is gonna say he won because his aero helmet and amazing drag coefficient.

He won because the peloton gave it to him.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Etixx team car video from the finish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7BCSpRasAU

MOTOR MOTOR!
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong, he took it from the peloton. No team will give a 'feel good' stage win in the Tour.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just watched Tour highlights on a German news website and found three interesting pieces of information
  1. Saddle was 5cm higher on Matteo's bike.
  2. Brakes on Matteo's bike were set up opposite from Tony's. (I think Tony rides with left lever->rear brake and right lever->front brake) http://road.cc/...n%20bike%20-%202.jpg
  3. Tony's mother, Bettina, is following every stage of the Tour in an RV

http://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/Sportschau-live/4-Etappe-Martins-Triumphfahrt/Das-Erste/Video?documentId=29441508&bcastId=723230

http://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/Sportschau-live/Tony-Martin-nach-der-vierten-Etappe/Das-Erste/Video?documentId=29442292&bcastId=723230

http://www.ardmediathek.de/tv/Sportschau-live/Martin-f%C3%A4hrt-in-Gelb-die-H%C3%B6hepunkte-de/Das-Erste/Video?documentId=29442670&bcastId=723230
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geraint Thomas let him go. The sprinters were like 'meh'. EQS blocked well. Basically, the bulk of the front group were with either 'ok' or 'very ok' with TM winning.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Wrong, he took it from the peloton. No team will give a 'feel good' stage win in the Tour.

^This. Tony took off and no one had the impetus to shut that down immediately. He's not 3x men's TT world-champion just because he had some good days. The guy took off with some major horsepower, and no one stepped up to chase it or get people going. I think Geraint even said that he knew he wasn't going to be able to bring that back so he started to shift his focus on making sure Chris didn't loose time to the other GC guys. Tony wanted the yellow... so he took it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Of course the tri forum is gonna say he won because his aero helmet and amazing drag coefficient.

He won because the peloton gave it to him.

Hmmmm....where to start?

1) I never said that was why he won. I was simply referring to how good he looked on a bike that was not his.

2) I raced bikes for 25 years before switching to tri's. I would still be bike racing today if I was not on blood thinners.

3) see Carl's post. Did you not see Giant - Alpecon true to chase him down after he first went? Did you not see Etixx trying to slow things up through the final turns? No one gifted Martin anything....he went out and took it.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During Stage 4 I saw something that I've never seen before...

Matteo Trentin prefers his brake levers reversed? Seriously - right brake lever controls the front and left brake lever controls the rear? Who does that? Is this a left-handed / right-handed thing, or a driving on the right side vs left side of the road thing?

Does he prefer it that way because of some weird superstition? Maybe some mechanic screwed up his bike build way back in the day, he won the race anyways, and then decided to just keep it that way?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a rule, most Italians ride with their brakes reversed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course he did, why would Sky want to defend yellow from stage 3? Giant, on the other hand, certainly did not. Saxo wasn't likely to put up much of a chase with eyes on a bigger prize, like BMC and Movistar. Other teams like MTN had contenders for stage but not teammates to chase. So Martin took advantage of that and took the win from peloton.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aaronechang wrote:

Matteo Trentin prefers his brake levers reversed? Seriously - right brake lever controls the front and left brake lever controls the rear? Who does that? Is this a left-handed / right-handed thing, or a driving on the right side vs left side of the road thing?

Does he prefer it that way because of some weird superstition? Maybe some mechanic screwed up his bike build way back in the day, he won the race anyways, and then decided to just keep it that way?

in Aus its the same way. All my bikes i have ever bought, the right lever controls the front brake. Might be a euro thing?

I loved on that video where Sagan was referencing Griepel if he wanted to continue the attack from an intermediate sprint, and Griepels sheepish 'hell no' and smile was classic
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are right. Via Google I just found an explanation for why things are different in the UK / Italy than France / US:

https://janheine.wordpress.com/...and-for-which-brake/

I rented a bike in London many years ago and I could have sworn it had the US / French style brake levers (left-front). Perhaps they set it up that way because most of their customers are from overseas and are used to it?
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
aaronechang wrote:

in Aus its the same way. All my bikes i have ever bought, the right lever controls the front brake. Might be a euro thing?

I loved on that video where Sagan was referencing Griepel if he wanted to continue the attack from an intermediate sprint, and Griepels sheepish 'hell no' and smile was classic

Same in the UK, right is front, left is back. Have rented bikes in Switzerland, Italy and France before and I couldn't say 100% that they were the same but I certainly didn't notice them being different. Maybe its just USA and Martin that ride the other way round?!
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:
aaronechang wrote:

Same in the UK, right is front, left is back. Have rented bikes in Switzerland, Italy and France before and I couldn't say 100% that they were the same but I certainly didn't notice them being different. Maybe its just USA and Martin that ride the other way round?!
the first time I saw this - left front and right rear - was on my coaches bike. I live in NZ and am from England and every bike I've ever bought both here and back in the UK has been right front and left rear. So yeah maybe it's a U.S. thing.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
kollac wrote:
craigj532 wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Contador got his butt saved by Sagan doing a monster pull to bridge back up.

Sagan was absolutely amazing today. It's mind blowing that he was able to sprint for third place after all the work that he did for Contador.

Anybody see him offer up a breakaway to the other sprinters after the intermediate sprint? I don't care what he's on the dude is just a lot of fun to watch.

LMAO!
the replay just showed it. hysterical. the stunned "hell no!" look on Gripel's face was great.

So what happened to Gripel after that? He just seemed to disappear through the peloton and fall off the back after that sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or the other way around - maybe it's a British thing? I've always had left-front and right-rear (same as the shifting on STIs) but my GF's dad (South African, then Brit) has all his MTBs set up the other way around.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it just me, or does it seem like Phil/Paul are pretty much refusing to utter TJ Vangarden's name?

It's simple, but it isn't easy.
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
cartsman wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:
aaronechang wrote:

the first time I saw this - left front and right rear - was on my coaches bike. I live in NZ and am from England and every bike I've ever bought both here and back in the UK has been right front and left rear. So yeah maybe it's a U.S. thing.
France is definitely left front, right rear. I'm pretty sure the whole world uses this too, except countries that drive on the left side of the road (not that it should have anything to do with it).
Quote Reply
Re: Tour de Frqnce Stage 4 Thread - COBBLES! [Glade Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glade Runner wrote:
Is it just me, or does it seem like Phil/Paul are pretty much refusing to utter TJ Vangarden's name?

Never attribute malice where incompetence will suffice.
Quote Reply

Prev Next