Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Does anyone race w/ Gatorskins? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks rruff, well I'm not really fat, but i am old. AT 68 years, I'm now 5'7" and 147 lbs, I guess I could lose 8 or 10 lbs and be better off. Being retired and not having a huge disposable income, I don't care to spend much for speed, but I think I might splurge on a set of GP4000s if I can get another mph or so out of them. Have my first 140.6 next year, and don't want to be out there any longer than I have to. Thanks for the help guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone race w/ Gatorskins? [boilham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For most people in an Ironman, you can ride GP4000s, flat once, fix it, and still finish faster than if you ride Gatorskins and don't flat at all. Gatorskins are a huge power suck. And it's not like GP4000s flat every ride.

As for cost concerns, train on training tires and race on race tires. They'll last a long time that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone race w/ Gatorskins? [boilham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For small riders, aero equipment becomes more important.

You don't have to spend a lot to go significantly faster. If you are interested, put up a post with your equipment and position.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone race w/ Gatorskins? [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOW2000 wrote:
I recently sold a pair of my Flo's completely set up with veloplugs, latex, and GP4000S's with complete disclosure that he would have to pump before every ride. Well, the FIRST DAY when he went to ride, and the tires were flat because he pumped the night before, he took his bike to the bike shop and had them swap out to gatorskins and butyl.

Not only did he ruin the aero magic and cost watts, he added about 20W of rolling resistance.

To add insult to injury, the butyl tube burst on his first ride with it (no puncture found, guessing the tube was twisted, I didn't get to see it) and the rear skewer wasn't tightened and his rear wheel dropped out and gouged the wheel and frame.

You should get the latex tubes and GP4000's back since he doesn't need them.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone race w/ Gatorskins? [Bruizer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already got the tubes. :D
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone race w/ Gatorskins? [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LuisDF wrote:
I know a good chunk of people that buy the latest and greatest wheel and the put Gators on it...

Nowadays I train and race on 4000s; it is a good compromise imho

X10

GP4000s has almost as good puncture protection and much better crr.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone race w/ Gatorskins? [ctbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ctbrian wrote:
Roads here are pretty bad. I have had way too many flats this year. I train on the same wheels I race on so my tires are multi purpose training/racing. Sick of the flats so I am going to give Gatorskins a shot. I hear they are great for flat resistance but am I going to be giving up noticeable speed due to weight and rolling resistance? Just wonder if anyone else has the experience of racing on these tires.
Thanks!

I use them on my road bike/tri bike most of the year round, then swap them out a couple weeks before big races. Don't know how much time I give up because of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did one ironman on them where the roads were in rough shape. It was probably the slowest I ever rode, but I didn't flat. I've had races where I have gone for times savings and had multiple flats. I guess if you are willing to give up a bit of time you will probably have more peace of mind. Or you can learn how to do quick tire changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally jumping in on this thread.

Back in 2010, I finally agreed to do a triathlon and signed up for Vineman. Near Xmas I bought a Cannondale road bike for about $1600 and started riding over the Xmas break. I had been running for about 18 years so pretty fit and it didn't me long to get used to riding. After a few flats over the next few months, I finally got some Gatorskins and no more flats. I decided I would do Vineman with the Gatorskins because I didn't want to chance losing up to 10 minutes changing the flat. I ended up with a 5:15 at the 2011 Vineman (at the age of 56) with a 2:49 bike split using that same cheap Cannondale with aero bars. As my friends said, it's the engine that counts.

Even last year with a tri bike and the whole aero set up, my best Vineman bike split was 2:38 so it's not like it made that much difference. I'm actually just a much better biker than I was in 2011. Although I now do use the Conti 4000s tires, I can't imagine it made much more than 2 minutes difference over the 56 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone race w/ Gatorskins? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
your wife is putting out but the GF is not putting much out at all

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone race w/ Gatorskins? [N. Dorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
N. Dorphin wrote:
mrtopher1980 wrote:

Will allow for creativity, the latter I can confirm is very much not true :)
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone race w/ Gatorskins? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
N. Dorphin wrote:
mrtopher1980 wrote:

Will allow for creativity, the latter I can confirm is very much not true :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;-)

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone race w/ Gatorskins? [karlw2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The data in the other thread suggests a greater than 2 minute time difference.

Although it's not like continental only makes 4000s and gatorskins. They make a range of tires in between those two options which have varying amounts of crr and flat protection technology. I think that's what drives me nuts about people who decide to race on gatorskins, it's often a bit of an overreaction and/or under investigation of the true cause. If after checking rim tape, and ensuring good installation and regularly inflation you are still getting flats, then maybe look to a tougher tire. Maybe start with one on the rear where people tend to get more flats.

Of course, you could also ask yourself if you know what's causing your flats. Like if it's regularly glass, could you wear gloves or learn to rub off your tire while you ride with your foot. If it's big bumps, could you do a better job of avoiding those things.

I don't know, I'm a pretty big believer in not riding slow tires, even in training, if you can avoid it because like is too short to go that much slower.
Quote Reply

Prev Next