Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compatabilty with Zipp extensions.
Quote | Reply
I have Zipp Vulkaclip aero extensions with the small s bend. I want to change these to the ski tip design, but I am cheap, and do not want the carbon. On their site it says the alumina extensions are not compatible with the clips??? They are both 22.2mm, anyone know why? And can they be made to work?
Quote Reply
Re: Compatabilty with Zipp extensions. [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure why, but I use 3T alloy extensions on my Vuka clips (not the Alumina) without an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are truly cheap, I would buy some cheap ski bends off EBay or the classifieds. I ran HED Lazy S extensions in my Zipps with no issue. A piece of 22.2 tubing is still a piece of22.2 mm tubing.
Quote Reply
Re: Compatabilty with Zipp extensions. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I was thinking, just trying to figure out why zipp would say there aluminum extensions are not compatible with the vulkaclip?

Not trying to be super cheap, but the aluminum extension are $50 vs around $130. And every single purchase I make is scrutinized by my wife...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion carbon extensions are a waste of money. Just get some alloy extensions and save yourself a heap of money. Carbon extensions are one of the biggest ripoffs hoisted on the tri crowd. As I said in my earlier post, just get some alloy extensions that fit the vuka clip, doesn't have to be Zipp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The original Vuka Clip (pre Vuka Alumina Clip) was Ø22.0mm. Since then the industry has gone to Ø22.2, hence the these 'are compatible with the new Vuka Alumina Clip but not the VukaClip or VukaAero' on our website.

Quote | Reply
Oh.... that sucks. So my extension are 22.0mm. I will have to put the caliper on them.

However, because of the compression sleeve, there should be enough give to accommodate .2mm?
Quote Reply
Re: Compatabilty with Zipp extensions. [waitebe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waitebe wrote:
The original Vuka Clip (pre Vuka Alumina Clip) was Ø22.0mm. Since then the industry has gone to Ø22.2, hence the these 'are compatible with the new Vuka Alumina Clip but not the VukaClip or VukaAero' on our website.

I understand your point from a manufacturer's point of view to avoid problems with compatibility and warranty issues, but I suspect in reality that the 0.2mm difference really isn't an issue. 0.2mm / 22mm is less than 1% tolerance. If you want to maintain the warranty then follow Zipp's recommendation, otherwise get some alloy extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: Compatabilty with Zipp extensions. [waitebe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So can I still buy 22.0 extensions from Zipp? or anyone else? I was planning to change the extensions on my VukaAero from s to ski-bend. Would prefer aluminum.

Anyone running 22.2 extensions with Zipp VukaAero? Seems more likely to be a problem than the other way around
Quote Reply