Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chicago
Quote | Reply
Going to Chicago tomorrow. Can you swim in Lake Michigan with a wetsuit now or is it too cold? Staying at W by the Navy Pier beach
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago [Leftydiver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you can. There was even an open water swim clinic this morning at Ohio Street beach.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tamiii wrote:
Yes you can. There was even an open water swim clinic this morning at Ohio Street beach.

Low 50's? Fook that....

I generally don't get into Lake Michigan until later in June, sometimes not until July 4 depending in the year. Plenty of other OWS options that are warmer.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
I generally don't get into Lake Michigan until later in June, sometimes not until July 4 depending in the year. Plenty of other OWS options that are warmer.

Hey, where else in the area do you OWS? I go to Lake Geneva but I'd like to find somewhere closer. I'm in the near north burbs
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago [brain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pleasant Prairie Wi, Lake in the Hill, Grayslake there is a handful. Not this early yet but look around
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leftydiver wrote:
Going to Chicago tomorrow. Can you swim in Lake Michigan with a wetsuit now or is it too cold? Staying at W by the Navy Pier beach

You can, but I wouldn't. I haven't seen one person in the water yet this year. ( I live right by the Ohio Street Beach [by your hotel] and am on the path frequently).
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago [brain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brain wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Hey, where else in the area do you OWS? I go to Lake Geneva but I'd like to find somewhere closer. I'm in the near north burbs

If you are in the north 'burbs, Grayslake is a great option (until the ewes grow in later in the summer, if that stuff bothers you)....the other locations Klatz mentioned are also viable. The only time I have swam @ PP was for the race, but the water was great.

Our club has an arrangement with one of the equestrian places in Libertyville. They have a small, spring-fed lake that we can use once a week. ~1/4 mile / lap...water is clearer and cooler than most of the other lakes in the summer.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have totally missed Open Water Chicago then :) They're nuts. They swim every morning from ladder one just north of Oak Street beach.

I generally get in the water for the first time around the third week of June. Really looking forward to it as that black line is getting ollllllddddd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely you can swim in Lake Michigan. Water has turned so it should be pretty nice (mid 50s or so) by now. Go early in the morning (approx sunrise) for best swimming. Ohio Street Beach provides great swimming where you can get out at any time on the ladders. Best "pool" in the world. Don't miss the chance to jump in.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago [Emilyk318] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will jump in tomorrow afternoon. Will be a prelude to Alcatraz. It's only cold for the first ten min right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're worried about the cold, bring some hand warmers and a thermos with ya.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago [Emilyk318] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A hot toddy post swim does sound good. Good thermos idea
Quote Reply