Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming with an optical HR monitor
Quote | Reply
My wife gave me an ambit 3 for my birthday, my primary exercise is swimming, and I wanted to find out if I could get one of these new optical HR devices to work in the pool.

I tried a miolink first. It worked about 50% of the time. I found that I spent a lot of time on the wall fiddling with it. I had a lot of frustration with displayed heart rates in the 130s when I would come into the wall, panting, and then see the measured heart rate come up into the 140-150s as I was resting.
I tried the miolink on both wrists, upside down, backwards, in front and behind the ambit 3. I tried it with the monitor out of it's own strap and under the ambit 3 strap. I tried it under a short segment of wetsuit sleeve, thinking the darkness and less turbulence would help it.
The only thing that worked was fastening it so tight that my little and ring fingers would go numb.

I returned the miolink and got a scosche rhythm+.
This has actually worked quite well, giving me believable readings throughout my workout. I have not had to tighten it as much as the miolink. The velcro ends of the strap do not appear to be curling up in the water, although that is something that bears watching.

In the end, I don't think I gain anything by using the ambit and scosche in the pool (I like perceived exertion) but I wanted to share my experience with these. I wasn't able to find much on the internet besides people noting that the miolink and rhythm+ would "work" underwater, in terms of bluetooth transmission to a watch.

ETA June 1 2015: So, a week later I am sending the scosche back to Amazon. It started giving me low heart rates during hard intervals and rising at the wall just like the miolink, and the strap came off two days in a row. I could spend some time searching for the perfect strap solution but it is not worth it to me. I think the scosche has more potential if someone really wanted to make this a project. I'm done.
Last edited by: dkv: Jun 1, 15 5:00
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with an optical HR monitor [dkv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old school Polar HRMs work in the water: http://www.amazon.com/...ar+ft1+heart+monitor
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with an optical HR monitor [sp1ke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never had success getting a chest strap to stay on in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I know of a guy who would buy that from you! He currently has this on tap: MP3 player in one ear, wetronome in the other, Garmin watch beeping and iPhone on wall as his clock(which I totally get b/c the 2 giant digital clocks 15 feet away are so hard to read with the 10" numbers.)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with an optical HR monitor [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know. I am falling into the "just because I can measure something doesn't mean I should" trap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you wear the Scosche in relation to your Ambit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dkv wrote:
Yeah, I know. I am falling into the "just because I can measure something doesn't mean I should" trap.

Oh heck I don't care dude as long as you are having fun with it. Just made me think of this guy I see at lunch sometimes and why he doesn't own one yet!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have put the Scosche on a Velcro wristband with my 310XT. It works really well that way on land. However, HR drops off when in the water and the $8 Walmart watchband comes loose during my pitiful attempt at butterfly.

I have also used its band to ride with it under the cuff of a 3" sock on my bike. That is my favorite place to wear it now.

I was thinking about trying a second watch band next to the 310XT. For some reason I am quite interested in see a good HR trace from some swim workouts.

Cheers, Alan
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming with an optical HR monitor [Andy007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear the scosche just above (closer to the elbow) the ambit, which is in a normal wristwatch position.
Quote Reply