Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to bike fitting, advice on my position?
Quote | Reply
I've been doing triathlons for a while, but have recently gotten very competitive in training/racing. I'm young (19), and up until now my father has always been able to help with my positioning, but he isn't an expert on triathlon bikes and I think it's time for me to start learning to fit them effectively for myself.

Bike details:
Frame: 55 cm Kestrel 4000
Crank length: 172.5 mm
Stem length: 90 mm
Saddle: ISM Adamo Road

Let me know if any other info would be useful

Quote Reply
Re: New to bike fitting, advice on my position? [edwardst14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seat is too high. No, really.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seat looks way to high.
Quote Reply
Re: New to bike fitting, advice on my position? [Triagain2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lower your seat a couple cm., move your pads/bars forward a little bit.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: New to bike fitting, advice on my position? [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
Lower your seat a couple cm., move your pads/bars forward a little bit.

^^^^This.

I looks like you are reaching for the bottom of the pedal stroke. When you drop the seat, you should also be able to pull out some spacers to keep your back angle the same.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the bike fit app for your phone. It'll help with a basic fit and get you close. Also, I agree with the others, you're definitely reaching with your toes and need to lower the seat a bit.

Looks like you've got a bike that fits you well though. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: New to bike fitting, advice on my position? [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Definitely lower you're seat. I'd start with 2cm and then post another 6 o'clock pic. You're making the bottom of the pedal stroke because you're toe pointing. Do you have pain in your hamstrings/back of knee after long rides? You'll feel a lot more powerful when you're not reaching like that.

Also I'd move your cockpit out a centimeter for starters, and maybe more. Your humorous (upper arm) looks a little too vertical (elbow is more underneath your armpit than it should be). Do you experience tightness/pain in your front shoulders and neck? The idea is to use bone structure (humerous) to hold you there, along with help from your core, not muscle because muscle will fatigue over the course of your ride.

ETA: it's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like you're gripping the extensions pretty tight. If you are try to relax. All that tension travels up into your shoulders, neck, and upper back. The energy you're using to grip the bars you could use to make the bike go forward faster. If this isn't the case please disregard.
Last edited by: Speed Concept: May 25, 15 5:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A small percentage of riders naturally pedal toe down. In which case his seat is only a little high.
Quote Reply
Re: New to bike fitting, advice on my position? [Speed Concept] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the updated position, I moved the seat down just under 1.5 cm, 2 cm felt a little too extreme, and shifted the cockpit forward about 1 cm. The angle of my elbows has opened up by a few degrees, and it my knee definitely isn't extending so far downwards. As far as pain is concerned, I never really feel much discomfort other than muscular fatigue in my legs. My knees don't feel hyper-extended and my upper back/shoulder/neck region feels fine. I adjusted the position of my extensions so I could get a bit of a looser grip as well, I did hold them pretty tightly before.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which app are you referring to?

Thanks,
Jason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lower your bar another 1,5cm, remove all spacers, take of your sock and take another pic with your foot down, best is as a snapshot from pedaling like this last one.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go to a fit lab/studio or shop.

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Last edited by: hideano: May 25, 15 12:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I like a high seat but your still seems too high. I would say on the down stroke make it so you are fully extended BUT have a level foot.

I think you may injure yourself as you are right now.

Regards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edwardst14 wrote:
Here is the updated position, I moved the seat down just under 1.5 cm, 2 cm felt a little too extreme, and shifted the cockpit forward about 1 cm. The angle of my elbows has opened up by a few degrees, and it my knee definitely isn't extending so far downwards. As far as pain is concerned, I never really feel much discomfort other than muscular fatigue in my legs. My knees don't feel hyper-extended and my upper back/shoulder/neck region feels fine. I adjusted the position of my extensions so I could get a bit of a looser grip as well, I did hold them pretty tightly before.

I think you'll like the result of not holding the extensions so tight. Regarding saddle height I believe you're still a little high. I understand that cyclists toe point a little naturally but you do have excessive toe point. Even with that amount of toe point your leg extension is pretty straight. Something to consider the more toe point you have the more your knee bends. So if you were to drop your heel where it's ideal then you'd be locked out which could cause injuries down the road. What in saying is you manufacture knee bend by toe pointing excessively.

Now this is being said not knowing about your history, prior injuries (if any), or any other extenuating circumstances.

The front end is looking better. You have the right amount of elbow hanging off the rear of the pad and your humorous looks better. You do appear to have a longer torso (especially humorous) so I would tend to agree with the above poster about dropping spacers. BUT, if you do that you'll need to move the saddle forward a few mm's. You're also suppose to move the saddle up a fraction but you're already high as it is. Doing this will keep your body angles the same. If you just drop spacers you may have a cramped feeling possibly trouble breathing.
Quote Reply
Re: New to bike fitting, advice on my position? [jmwhelan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Bike Fast Fit" App. Got me really close and when I went in for a professional fitting they only made very small changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would also be good to see a photo of your legs at 9 and 3 to see if your front knee is over the spindle or not.
Quote Reply
Re: New to bike fitting, advice on my position? [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IME, Knee over spindle is as relevant as knob left or right.....

More important to get your cleat position correct as to engage the leg proportionally, and set you saddle height to achieve sustainable stability under power, and then to set your cockpit to achieve control, support and a durable aero profile..

KOPS does not directly determine any of this.. so i would largely disregard...
Quote Reply
Re: New to bike fitting, advice on my position? [AforEffort] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Knee seems to be quite a way in front of the spindle, in front of the toe in fact (assuming camera and bike both dead-level).

Not necessarily a bad thing - some people prefer this position. Just something to think about.

If you decide you want to experiment with this, then move the seat back a touch to get more 'on top' of the pedal stroke, rather than 'in front' of it like you are now. Of course, this will mean stretching a little further to the bars, and perhaps closing your hip angle a little more, so somewhere in between there's a good balance for you.

People are bound to post in here setting out the 'iron laws' of bike fit - take suggestions (especially mine) with a grain of salt, and don't forget that finding a great fit is a slow process of trial and error, so remember to be patient.
Last edited by: AforEffort: May 25, 15 17:12
Quote Reply
Re: New to bike fitting, advice on my position? [Speed Concept] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been wary of dropping spacers, any more and I feel like I can't get a full inhale. As far as the saddle height, I went back and found some older pictures of me riding, and my foot angle has always been rather steep, and I suppose it's what I'm most comfortable with now.
Quote Reply