Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Dogs and Heart worm meds...
Quote | Reply
So I've had this new dog in my live since January, she is a GREAT dog. Got her from the pound and she seems very grateful. She is a good runner, she has run for miles with me in the winter behind my fat bike and we trail run together. She started on heart worm pills two months ago and she seems to have lost endurance. I'm looking back as to why this was happening and seems to coincide with the pills. She gets more endurance a couple weeks after she takes them, we ran 5 miles today but the days right after she can't pull off two without difficulty. Anyone else see this type of things with heart worm pills (Sentinel)... thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Dogs and Heart worm meds... [YO mortaaay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note to self:

Don't take heart worm pills intended for dogs, they will kill my run times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sentinel is a heartworm preventative, it's very safe, it has been widely studied and tested- it is probably coincidental
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you say started on heart worm meds, do you mean she wasn't on anything before? Was she tested for heart worms before you put her on preventative? If not, and she's now on them, the slow die-off of the worms would certainly cause a lack of aerobic capacity and the die-off needs to be monitored by your vet.

Otherwise, if she's been heart worm negative, I would surmise that an increase in temperature and humidity is a more likely culprit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was also going to ask whether she has been tested for heart worm before she got started on sentinel.

i have never noticed a difference in my weimaraners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our dog has been on trifexis for almost a year now, her endurance peaked during the winter and has been dwindling as the seasons have changed (her PMC in trainingpeaks has also reflected this). I also doubt it is your heartworm treatment and more likely due to temperature/humidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, she was checked for worms, she was clear, this is just protection meds.. I also think you are correct in that it may be the weather.. Yesterday mornings run was very cool and she did well, today was more humid and the run was not so good.. thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a VERY high-energy lab mix about whom we joke "She only pulls for the first 5 or 6 miles." But if it is humid out she will struggle to do 2. I would agree it is most likely the weather affecting your pup as long as she seems healthy otherwise.

PS, thank you for rescuing. =) My dogs are also former street mutts who are now spoiled beyond belief.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the topic of spoiled doggies....Ruffwear makes a "jacket" called the Swamp Cooler. From the reviews it's supposed to make doggy more comfortable up to 10 degrees cooler. REI annual sale has all Ruffwear (that they carry, they didn't have the singletrack pack) on sale. Since its monsoon season, I haven't tried it yet but doggy started struggling with play sessions when it was consistently above 70 and the real summer is yet to come. We got him from a rescue in December so our first summer with him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup pound pups are awesome... I'll check out that jacket thing, she really seems to not like this heat, kind of a bummer but it's a dogs life.
Here's my new girl...GIANT Satellite ears : )

[/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Corgi/Husky cross that I got from the Humane Society. In the winter (Winnipeg, lots of snow, -30C temps) she has run up to 9 miles, at about 7:30-8:00 pace. In the warmer weather she cannot go more than 3 miles. At about mile 2 she starts to lag and at mile 3 she is basically walking, 9:00-10:00 pace. I think it is just a coincidence.

Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient to become independent of it. John D. Rockefeller Sr.
Quote Reply