Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero road bar of choice these days?? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
Tom,
Just off the phone with Stinner... your bike is going to be so awesome! Those guys are killing it right now!
Your pump will ship as soon as we have the inside-inside distance from them.
J

Sweet! I go out for a ride and magic happens while I'm gone :-) Thanks for doing that.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road bar of choice these days?? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
echappist wrote:

Hey Tom, could you comment on the reach and drop of the AeroTundo compared to the Rotundo? For one i hear the reach is measured differently.

Looks to me like 3T measures reach and drop just like everyone else...that reach dimension may be a bit longer than others, but so is the drop:

echappist wrote:
Anyways, you may also be able to find old Vuka Sprint with classic bends. I lucked out and got one.

That's the same bar I had on my S5. Although it has a round section, the drop is still "compact" at 130mm, while the AeroTundo is nearly a full 1cm more. In fact, the 3T AeroNova bar only has a drop of 123mm, which is more typical of the aero road bars out there...

yeah, i know, i was running a rotundo before.

The difference is that reach on the aerotundo is measured from trailing edge to center, whereas on rotundo it's center to center.

btw, did you need to make any adjustments (stem length mainly) when making the swap? any difference in handling?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road bar of choice these days?? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On that drawing above, it looks like it's from the center of the bar clamp to me (look for the small rounded edges top and bottom). It would be hard to go from the trailing edge since it's tapered in that plane.

I haven't made a swap since the bike isn't built yet...but, the geometry will be adjusted (front center, mainly) to accommodate both the bars and the particular stem selected (Omega X, which only comes in one length) to make sure that the drops end up where I like them relative to the saddle and BB.

Last edited by: Tom A.: May 22, 15 16:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
I haven't made a swap since the bike isn't built yet...but, the geometry will be adjusted (front center, mainly) to accommodate both the bars and the particular stem selected (Omega X, which only comes in one length) to make sure that the drops end up where I like them relative to the saddle and BB.
I think you mean Sigma X, which is our stem. Omega X is our brake :-)

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road bar of choice these days?? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
I think you mean Sigma X, which is our stem. Omega X is our brake :-)

You are correct. My mistake...that's what you get for naming things after Greek letters :-P

BTW, I just found out my build might get moved up...when are those Sigma X stems going to be available for purchase?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also need one to finish off my P2 build which as been on hold.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road bar of choice these days?? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P2 aero road: long & low & narrow = aero

https://www.flickr.com/...ts/72157651118292023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,
Can you talk more about why you chose the Aerotundo?
I know you said that you like a deeper drop.
Is the reach really as much as the diagram shows? Diagram shows it to be a good 3cm longer than other bars?
Are aerodynamics any different with 3T? Or are most of these top aero bars the same?
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road bar of choice these days?? [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bootsie_cat wrote:
Tom,
Can you talk more about why you chose the Aerotundo?
I know you said that you like a deeper drop.
Is the reach really as much as the diagram shows? Diagram shows it to be a good 3cm longer than other bars?
Are aerodynamics any different with 3T? Or are most of these top aero bars the same?

I don't have it in hand, so I don't have an actual measurement...but, I compared the reach and drop to the old 3T Prima 199 bars on my Bianchi (as installed), and it's similar.

One thing I've noticed about bars is that the aero road bars have basically one position they should be used in and the "tops" are mostly parallel to the ends of the "drops"...but with non-aero road bars, that's not usually the case. For example, that 3T Prima I have apparently has a reach measurement of about 100mm...BUT, that's when measured horizontally with the ends of the drops horizontal, which isn't how I set them up since that would place the tops at a significant down-angle. The way it's set up on my current bike, the reach measurement is closer to the AeroTundo measurement. I'm not sure why bar makers do that...

In any case, I also knew that I would be using a stem that's only 100mm, so I knew a slightly longer reach wouldn't be an issue since that's on the shorter end of "acceptable" for a road bike...not to mention the fact that the frame is going to be custom geometry and I can put the head tube wherever I want. The driver will be putting my hands in the right spot on the hoods and the drops relative to the seat and BB. Adjust top tube length to fit :-) All these short reach, short drop bars out there now is probably a big driver in folks using ultra long (>120mm) stems.

For the aero road bars....I'm pretty sure it's all about making that tops section non-round than anything else. Round sections horizontal to air flow have a lot of drag.

Quote Reply
Re: Aero road bar of choice these days?? [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the bontrager race lite aero. For the money ($89 retail), they are great. They aren't light, but I typically prefer aluminum bars because in my experience they take a crash better.

I like the bontrager bar because I can still add clipons for a TT if I need to, and I can easily run garmin and camera mounts off them.

The shape of the bend is going to be very independent. A lot of my teammates complain that while sprinting from the drops, they bruise their forearms on the tops. Most of that can be eliminated by technique, but it doesn't seem to be as big of a problem on bars with shorter reach. I did have to rotate these bars a little further forward, so the tops aren't exactly parallel with the ground. Not sure how much that impacts how aero they are.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero road bar of choice these days?? [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
Currently building an new S5...

I want to get some new aero road bars. The new Cervelo bars look good, but there is no where to mount the "out front" Garmin or SRM mount.

Looking at Enve SES and Zipp SL70. I wouldn't mind aluminum bars, but want them as aero as possible.

Thoughts??

Sorry for the late reply. Just put the new Cervelo bars on my TCR Advanced. I love them! But, I'm old and the compact bars work for me.

I looked for the old thread about these bars that Damon posted on last fall. He mentioned that the bars tested faster with the Garmin on the stem and not out front. Couldn't get the rubber bands around my Giant (literally!) stem, so while I'm waiting for the K-Edge that mounts to the steerer tube, I'm using the rubber band mount on the front edge of the bars. Looks a little funny since the Garmin points down a bit...
Quote Reply

Prev Next