Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [GRAVELBIKE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still overkill compared to Compass' tires.

Do you know of any rolling resistance tests on "gravel tires"?

Would be good info I think. The Conti tire may seem excessively robust, but in other models they roll better than pretty much anything else. The Compass tires are made by a company that isn't noted for low Crr, which makes me skeptical. They are also smaller.

Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Still overkill compared to Compass' tires.

Do you know of any rolling resistance tests on "gravel tires"?

Would be good info I think. The Conti tire may seem excessively robust, but in other models they roll better than pretty much anything else. The Compass tires are made by a company that isn't noted for low Crr, which makes me skeptical. They are also smaller.

I'm not aware of any rolling resistance tests that have been done on/for gravel tires.

Not all Panaracer-made tires are created equally. For example, the Ribmo rides differently than the Pasela, and the Compass-branded Extralight tires ride very differently than the Pasela and Ribmo. The Compass tires I've ridden are some of the best-riding tires I've found.

Mark Chandler, Editor In Chief
GRAVELBIKE.com | ride everything
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To throw another model out there, anyone have opinions on the Diamondback Haanjo? The one I'm thinking of is the Trail version - Ultegra 11sp, Tektro HyRd calipers, Hed rims. At $1850, it seems like a pretty good deal. Aluminum, not carbon or ti, and the paint isn't as good as the RLT, but it looks like a solid value.
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [merlinkim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the US the Haanjo Trail is available for $1700. I'm kicking myself for thinking about it too long and not grabbing it when it was $1350 from Competitive Cyclist.
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [Liquidmantis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liquidmantis wrote:
In the US the Haanjo Trail is available for $1700. I'm kicking myself for thinking about it too long and not grabbing it when it was $1350 from Competitive Cyclist.

If you qualify for a Promotive account, that particular model is available at a discount.

Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [merlinkim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Norco Search is an interesting one to check out.

Niner also looks good and is available in carbon or Al for a little less bling.
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [GRAVELBIKE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there going to be much difference between Aluminum and Steel?

I think I'm going to end up with a Rove, I'm just not sure if it'll be steel one (and add S700 shifters) or strip down the AL and build it up with either Rival 22 or S700/Apex/X9 and some decent wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check http://www.gravelcyclist.com/ from local Aussie Gainesville funny dude Jayson.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always been partial to steel. I don't think it makes much of a difference to the ride but, IMO, it's a better material for bikes. If it fails, it does so graciously.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IME, steel provides a smoother ride, which can be a real asset on washboard surfaces.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
late to the party but going to up vote on the OPEN CYCLE U.P. One thing I don't think yet mentioned that caught my eye on the U.P. was that it has road race geometry for those of us that want a toy for playing in the dirt on "skinny" wheels without the super slack and upright geometry that normally comes with such bikes. I'm going with a U.P. when it comes out specifically for that reason and additional for all the other super cool features on it.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently got into the gravel game. Bought a Giant Revolt. I chose it because of the tire clearance. Lot of options including throwing on my 29er wheelset if I want to. It rides really well. I've been on some bad roads, especially with all the recent flooding and it doesn't beat me up like I thought it might. Very comfortable.

I got the lowest component model because I didn't want to spend a lot of money without knowing how much I'd enjoy it. I have to say it's a blast. Almost never see a vehicle. Get to explore places I would never normally see. Really get to work on handling skills.

I've already upgraded the wheelset and tires and saved three pounds in doing so. The stock wheels are heavy. Other than that I'm not crazy about the 7-speed setup just due to the gear gaps. Shifts very well and even has trim adjustment in the shifters, which to me is even more important than in a 10 or 11-speed. I'll pick up a used 105 or Ultegra at some point but I'm just going to continue to enjoy this new riding.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [BionicMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had ignored the Revolt because it was funny looking. Well, it looks a lot better in person, much better than the Rove. I ended up buying one today from my neighbourhood LBS. With the seat slammed forward, stem flipped and slammed... the fit is reasonable but it's definitely not a crit bike! For $100 more than the Rove, you get a carbon fork... I thought the world had decided aluminum was a poor fork material long ago.

The 44? 46cm? bars will take some getting used to but I see why everyone is spec'ing their bikes will flared bars. The Claris shifters feel like crap, I think its the feel of hoods versus the actual ability to transfer watts to motion that will drive me to switch to better kit.

My build will be S700 levers/brakes with X7 everything else and whatever wheels I can find cheaply. Now tires... 700x50s...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder why Kona didn't just spec one of their steel forks instead.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took forever, but finally...

S700 shifters. Apex FD. X9 RD. FSA 40/28 crank. XT 11-36 cassette. Baller KMC X10SL chain. 29x2.0 Ninelines _just_ fit, the extrusions rub on the fender bridge between the chain stays. All said and done, it was ~$2100CAD. Now I just need to buy some wheels that dont weigh 2500g!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steel is real. Very small company. Serious steel bikes made in the USA. All they do is gravel right now.

http://rideendpoint.com/collections/frontpage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks outstanding! Really impressed with your build. I need to look into those cranks. Would be nice to have lower gears on some of the longer steep climbs where the rear wheel spins if I stand.

I got a good deal on 10-speed shifters and cassette, just haven't had a chance to install. Would like to upgrade the brakes at some point but the stock ones will do for now. The Small Block 8 tires have worked great so far. Plenty wide for me. All in all I really love riding gravel. I rarely see a vehicle.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice build. So that is a giant?

Can you post photo(s) showing the clearance in the areas where you have a tight fit with those 2.0 tires?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's a Giant Revolt. Basic bike was $1000 and another $1000 for a decent drivetrain.

Took it out for a 90 minute spin today, found it a little twitchy to start but it climbs well. A buddy on Kona Hei Hei easily out descended me over fast (over 20mph) rough stuff though but there there wasn't much of a difference at lower speeds.

Here's the tire clearance, not as tight after a ride with reasonable air pressure.. at max psi theres maybe 2mm of clearance in that last picture.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool bike, but clearance does look snug in the back.

Did you also happen to consider a trek 920?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The perfect gravel bike... [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It might not work for everyone, but I'm completely sold on SRAM's 1x drivetrain for my gravel riding.

Quote Reply

Prev Next