Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Profile FC Hydration System
Quote | Reply
Hi Guys,

Has anyone tried out the new Profile FC Hydration System yet? Just interested to see what people think. I've been using the Torhans Aero 30 for a few years now but have been intrigued by this new release due to the placement of the bike computer mount.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile FC Hydration System [IronpiperAl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a FC25 and am going to use it for a race this weekend. I don't need to use a computer mount, so I took that piece off. I'm sure there's a way to secure it better, but it seemed awfully easy to pop off. I love the rest of the setup, though. If a road gets gnarly enough, I wouldn't be surprised to eject that clip with the extra weight of a computer. I'm not going to use it for a computer mount, but the rest of it is pretty solid.

Had my first ride with my FC35 last night.

It jostled around a little bit until i cranked down the straps.

This is my first BTA bottle and I made the rookie mistake of filling it to the top. There was a little splash out until i drank an ounce or two of water. After that, splash was nearly gone. (Some fine misting on bigger bumps)

I had a hard time getting used to drinking in aero... but i think that is more related to first ride.

I don't know what I'll use that little bento box for, it isn't quite the right size for much.

On the FC35 there seem to be some aero shadows (don't know if that is a term, or event the correct term) behind the bottle to the head tube and under the bento box to the stem... there might be a DIY project in the future to try to put something there (perhaps flat/tool kit).

I also took the computer mount off (because i don't, yet, have a non-wrist-mount computer). Because of the way the bottle detaches from the mount... i don't know if it could bounce off, but if the computer mount is important to you... there is likely some modification to make it bulletproof).

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using it for a little while. Unfortunately it has flipped upside down out of the bracket a couple of times when I've encountered some really rough roads at higher speeds. The velcro straps keep it from falling completely off and the computer has stayed attached, but still not very good. I need to figure out a better way to secure the back end of it, but I think I should be able to do it with an elastic around the stem or something along those lines.

---UPDATE---
Contacted customer service with pictures and they sent out a new bracket. So far so good. Very happy with the quick response and customer service.
Last edited by: mplamour: May 29, 15 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: Profile FC Hydration System [mplamour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mplamour wrote:
I've been using it for a little while. Unfortunately it has flipped upside down out of the bracket a couple of times when I've encountered some really rough roads at higher speeds. The velcro straps keep it from falling completely off and the computer has stayed attached, but still not very good. I need to figure out a better way to secure the back end of it, but I think I should be able to do it with an elastic around the stem or something along those lines.

This is an odd problem. Could you PM me and provide a few more details. Also a picture of your set-up and a picture showing how it looks when it flips upside down.

JD - Product Development
Profile Design | FIST Certified | Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter | Find a Dealer
Quote Reply
Re: Profile FC Hydration System [JD@ProfileTech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, I'll send some pictures along tonight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran the Profile Design FC25 at IMSG 70.3 last Saturday. I only had time for a couple of training rides with it before the race, but it seemed like it would be ok.
Here is what I liked:
- Computer Mount seemed solid, my 920xt mounted fine with the quick release. It sits up really high, so it doesn't look very aero to me (but I am also not a wind tunnel)
- It was "nearly" splash proof. Way better than my old yellow sponge bottle. I would get a little spray, but I noticed it more from the straw when it tucked it back in it's keeper. I would NOT put anything but water in it.
- Very easy to refill. Grabbed a water bottle from an aid station and shoved it in the baffle, and refilled till it spilled over. Very fast and easy.
- Seemed pretty easy to drink from. My complaint about the Fuselage on my Shiv is having to pull water up 2 feet of straw. Putting the straw in the keeper got easier as I rode with it. I didn't like it sticking up int he wind.

Here is what I didn't like:
- The bento storage thing wound up being worthless for me. I cut a pack of shot blocks in half and had them in there along with a gel and some salt pills. The two rubber band keeper things didn't hold anything in and I lost everything but the gel that was crammed way down in the bottom. Really disappointed in this aspect of it. I'll keep messing around with it, but I really glad I had still taped my main gels to my top tube.
- It is tough to empty all the way. I think the gravity feed of the Aero Z from TorHans is a great idea here. Even trying to dump the bottle out and wash it really takes some work to get it all the way empty.
- This is my first BTA setup, and it seems to take up a lot of space in my aero bars (Profile Design CX3). Not sure this is an issue specific to this bottle, it may just take some more getting used to.

Last edited by: jbflyfisher: May 4, 15 20:46
Quote Reply
Re: Profile FC Hydration System [jbflyfisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've always preferred a simple BTA solution. How did the food bounce out? Train tracks? Pot holes?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Profile FC Hydration System [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was really strange, it was just normal road vibration. Half the pack of Shot Blocks popped out, which meant there was less holding the other stuff in. I looked down a few minutes later and the other half of the shot block package was gone and so were the salt tabs. I pulled the Gu out an put it in my jersey pocket just in case. All of this was within the first 7 miles of the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's crazy. I would have been super pissed. Sometimes mechanical things happen and end your race but there's no reason to lose your nutrition. That can make or break a race

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Profile FC Hydration System [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue with my first ride on the weekend. I ordered an fc35 and received a 25, so a big grrr there. My bar jumped out at some point, but the gel which was shoved in tight stayed put. I didn't get to test out the computer mount because I forgot to take my Garmin... Oops! I reckon it'll be hard to read as it seems to vibrate a lot, which makes it incredibly noisy with the straw rattling around inside the box. That said, I love the fact the straw and food (if I can get it to stay in the box) in my face remind me to eat and drink. I'm an old school ex runner, so I'm not used to the nutritional aspects yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile FC Hydration System [Runnadude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really didn't notice the Garmin bouncing around at all, so that wasn't an issue for me. I really had to crank the velcro down tight though. It seemed quieter than my old profile design bottle and aero mount. Let me know if you come up with any awesome ideas to keep the bento piece from launching the goods! I thought about more rubber bands, but I don't want to make it impossible to get the stuff out when I need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jbflyfisher - Is there enough clearance on the computer mount on the front for a watch mount? It looks like it would be too tight, but it's hard to tell in pictures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just bought the FC35 for a 100 mile TT this weekend. Barely fits my bars (super narrow) and the Garmin mount is in the least aero spot possible (so I'll probably remove it), but looks to be a decent bit of kit. I'll report back after the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you look at other options for your Shiv? I have a Shiv as well and have been looking for an option that would allow me to use the bladder and a BTA. I know some people have engineered their own solutions for the BTA to gravity feed to the bladder but I haven't found anyone that makes a kit to work with an integrated bladder system. If I had the 2 working in tandem I might be able to avoid carrying an extra bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronpiperAl wrote:
Hi Guys,

Has anyone tried out the new Profile FC Hydration System yet? Just interested to see what people think. I've been using the Torhans Aero 30 for a few years now but have been intrigued by this new release due to the placement of the bike computer mount.

Thanks in advance.

We're not ready to release numbers just yet because we're conducting a complete front hydration shoot-out, but we've recently completed several tests of the FC25 vs a leading competitor and it came out looking very good. We tested both (the FC vs the competitor) 6 times back and forth over two days and the results were consistent. No computers were mounted.

For the shootout, we'll have numbers for both the 25 and 35 (which might be even better).

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Profile FC Hydration System [skot123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skot123 wrote:
Had my first ride with my FC35 last night.

It jostled around a little bit until i cranked down the straps.

This is my first BTA bottle and I made the rookie mistake of filling it to the top. There was a little splash out until i drank an ounce or two of water. After that, splash was nearly gone. (Some fine misting on bigger bumps)

I had a hard time getting used to drinking in aero... but i think that is more related to first ride.

I don't know what I'll use that little bento box for, it isn't quite the right size for much.

On the FC35 there seem to be some aero shadows (don't know if that is a term, or event the correct term) behind the bottle to the head tube and under the bento box to the stem... there might be a DIY project in the future to try to put something there (perhaps flat/tool kit).

I also took the computer mount off (because i don't, yet, have a non-wrist-mount computer). Because of the way the bottle detaches from the mount... i don't know if it could bounce off, but if the computer mount is important to you... there is likely some modification to make it bulletproof).
I'm actually working on a flat kit box for right there right now.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the FC 35 for Raleigh 70.3 and loved it, you have to crank down on all the velcro straps to keep it solid and I did notice it still tilted laterally every now and again but a little pressure with the forarm while in aero put it right back into place.Didn't notice any excissive vibration on the computer, was able to read it clearly throughout the race. On my prerace shake down ride it did eject all my nutrition so I came up with a way to install the spare ruber band they give you (I will post picks when I get home), problem solved. I'm currently working on a better way to secure the Bottle to the mount as the little velcro strap is a PITA and will post if come up with somthing.

To dumb to quit
Last edited by: Chief2Slo: Jun 13, 15 10:46
Quote Reply
Re: Profile FC Hydration System [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you guys testing on multiple frames ?
Quote Reply
Re: Profile FC Hydration System [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have pictures of the f35 installed? I'd like to see how low it extends
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this same problem. Added a rubber band on the end closest to me parallel with the back of the band that is already on there no more launches. I agree though this is the most disappointing aspect of this system. otherwise I've been very happy with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Profile FC Hydration System [randymessman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymessman wrote:
Does anyone have pictures of the f35 installed? I'd like to see how low it extends
In Reply To:

https://instagram.com/p/3oWmKFKZ9j/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the FC35 Hydration System since early this year and so far I really like it. The ONLY issue I have with it is that I have a small frame bike (48cm w/650c) so the bottle is long for my aero bars and the back of the bottle rubs and when taking tight turns it angles the bottle to the side so I have to straighten it out. I use my Infinit Nutrition mix in it and it's very easy to refill on the fly. My Garmin 500 is on there pretty solid and I've been doing a lot of riding on a variety of surfaces (including a surprise 2mi of gravel road during a Gran Fondo earlier this year). For the Bento box - yeah it's not that big but I just keep a spare PowerBar Wafer Bar in it incase I want some solid food. Overall I really like the new bottle - if you want to see some pics of it in action - here's a semi close up one from Mountain Mama: https://mirrorslap.smugmug.com/...15-MMRBC/i-DqcnZJK/A (there are more photos before & after this one but this is the best one of the bottle).

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Last edited by: f_ahsile04: Aug 9, 15 19:20
Quote Reply
Re: Profile FC Hydration System [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone here have dimensions of the straw for the FC25? I lost mine and would like to find a replacement. They don't sell the replacement on Profile Design's website. I went to Home Depot to look at a few tubes, but none seems to fit.

What is the inner and outer diameter width of the straw?

Thanks